This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you turn HD-3 track adjusters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 3:25pm
i forgot to mention... when putting pin back in it will go very easy if you put pin in a freezer for a few days. it will shrink it a few thousandths. a four pound hammer will drive it back in easily. when it warms up it will be tight.  randal
Sponsored Links

hilltop615 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:32pm
 Coke, now i just need to find someone willing to stand there while i swing a hammer lol 

Randal, I wondered about a bottle jack.. I reckon that would accomplish the same thing as building plates for a Hydraulic cylinder. I've rebuilt old motorcycle crankshafts which are very similar but with them you can move them around however needed to get them in a press.. Hopefully i'll get a chance to work on it a bit this weekend depending when i get back in town.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:54pm
Now a bottle jack would work , but a 50 to 100 ton jack is going to be hard to hold in place also .. 
 A track press is quite a piece of equipment with dies to hold link and cross ram to push out pins, then figure they push the bushing out of side link also. 
 They say to replace the master pin each time it is removed but seems many people just turn it 180 and reuse it . 
 Thats where you build that guide pipe to bolt onto track link to keep the punch on the pin and weld the long handle onto punch , it's hard to hit the punch when the holder has his eyes closed and is shaking all over in fear. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:49pm
very true coke, and there are very few people willing to hold the punch ! one must look to other ways. randal
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:12am
Supposed to have a long handle attached to the punch so that the "punch man" gets to stand back and enjoy the good vibrations. 
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:44am
FWIW, I used a Harbor Freight ball joint press that I picked up for $20 and it worked great for the HD3 as the opening in the press is just the right size for the pins. I used an impact socket and 3' breaker bar to turn the bolt in the press until I couldn't budge it any further, then hit it with a hammer a few times to budge it a little before tightening the press again. Here's a photo so you can see what it looks like.
Don in WA.

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 2:26pm

now that harbor press will work good also. thanks for the pic. randal

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:49am
 I've got about 1 1/2 foot handle welder on the punch bar but i had no one to hold it the other day when i was out there piddling around. I will hopefully be back in to tonight late and will have time to go out and try  out a few of these suggestions. I'll try and get a few picks of the ol' girl and let ya'll know how it goes. 
Luke

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 8:52am
Also does anyone know what i need to do to receive Email notifications from here? I was getting them but since the other day when we couldn't get on here i haven't been getting my notifications.
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 2:03pm
I drove the master pin out of a HD6 using a railroad spike hammer as a punch. It has a good handle that gets the holder far enough back that the hammer swinger can get a good swing on it. I dorve the pin out by myself moving the dozer to get the master pin at the front of the dozer and placing the spike hammer on a blocks of wood of the correct hight. I wouldn't recomend doing it that way but it will work if you can't get any help. I had to get someone to hold it to drive it back in. "disclamer" striking hammers face to face may chip the hammer and send shrapnel flying. Ask me how I know.
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 7:01pm

hilltop615  I think you go to

Member Control Panel

and to Subscriptions
top left of page
and set it up to what you want
and on the bottom of the reply
box you can check the
 Email Notify me of Replies
HTH   B:-)     Dnoym
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 1:37pm
I got a 3 tooth bridge after hold punch for brother on HD 11B. Somehow there was this "bounce" of the sledge and it landed in my mouth.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:11pm
Thanks Dnoym i'll check that out. 
 I didn't really get to spend much time on the dozer this weekend but Coke, i blocked up the back side of the link with some heavy tubing that the pin will fit inside of and i got the pin to budge a little bit but like i said i didn't have much time. At least it moved a little and makes me really want to stay in town and take off work this week to work on it but i guess that doesn't pay the bills.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
It says i am subscribed so i'm not sure what the problem is. I'm going to unsubscribe and try again so we'll see what happens.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 2:11pm
The cast iron exhaust manifold from the AC 7000 motor fits on the 6000 and the HD344.

I spent some time working on adjusting the track on my HD6G. I had previously said that I tapped the yoke for greese fittings. Although I havn't adjusted the track in a couple years I was plesently surprised how easy it was. I forgot to say that I put a short piece of radiator hose over the thread between the yoke and the thread lock.

It isn't necessary to reproduce the Allis Chalmers track adjuster thread. I am going to make a track adjuster with a smaller diameter thread that will fit inside the yoke without engageing the threads. I will use a nut to push on the yoke and a locknut. This method requires 2 track wrenches.

See the picture of the track wrench I made.

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:48pm
Dozer: Nice job welding on the homemade wrench, I like the idea of the radiator hose as a protector for the threads.  

Thanks for posting the picture.  Gives us some more good ideas. 
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 7:22am
Thats a very specialized looking wrench you've got there. I picked up and really big wrench at the scrap yard yesterday evening when i got back in town. It's over 3/4" thick but isn't the exact size to fit the adjusters so i bought some 3/4" plate to weld on each side of the jaws to make it the right size and also give it a really wide contact patch. I tried loading pics of it but am running out of time before i have to leave. I've got a meeting this morning but then i am heading to look at a couple parts machines. This guy has 4 Hd-3 dozers at his place so i hope to come home with one of his parts machines. I'll get the pics added when i return.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:47am
LET US KNOW IF HE IS WILLING TO SELL THE REST OF WHAT IS LEFT AND WHERE HE IS LOCATED. THANKS
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 1:07pm

Heres the wrench i got to modify to a track adjuster wrench. It's pretty heavy and since it's just plain uncoated steel it should weld good.
 The time i had set up to look at the parts machine the guy said he would sell got pushed back to 3 this afternoon so i'm still not sure what i have found. The last phone conversation left me thinking this may not be quite as complete as i first thought. I guess since the guy has multiple running machines that he fixed up, i should have counted on some things not being there lol. I'll see whats there and report back this evening.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 1:19pm
that wrench with a cheater pipe on it will help !
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:18pm
 Yea Randal, it seems to have been designed with that in mind. 

I went to look at those machines this afternoon. He had 2 runners (one HD3 and one H3 both 6way 3 point machines) and an HD3 loader & HD3 dozer parts machines. The parts machines are very incomplete and pretty dismantled but still a lot of good stuff there i think. I was really just after the dozer but it wasn't as complete as i had hoped and if basically if i want all the parts that i would like to have he wants me to buy both of them. He made me a pretty fair price on the pair so i think i'm going to go ahead and pick them up. Theres enough stuff there to fix my dozer and put the loader together or save some of the loader for spare parts and sell off the rest. It's more than i really want to give for them but i think i will be happy with my decision next time something breaks down and i only have to go to the shed for the part.
  The guy had one more machine that was pretty neat, it was an HD-3 "orchard" with the seat hanging off the back and controls moved rearward. I'm sure you guys have seen (or owned) one before but i thought it was pretty neat. It was partially disassembled but he said he got everything to build it back and it didn't seem like it had seen all that many hours in it's life. I'll keep everyone posted and if for some reason i decide not to go through with it i'll see if the guy minds me handing his phone number out. Hopefully i'll have arrangements made to get them to my place sometime in the next week.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:59pm
 I made a deal and bought the parts machines, now i've just got to catch some time in town when my buddy is free to haul them home with his truck and trailer since i sold my diesel truck and gooseneck. I'm sure i'll end up with duplicate parts that i could parts with if theres anyone in need. When i get them home and see what i've got and post a list in case someone is in need. I ended up with the loader and the dozer so i could probably get mine going and build the loader if no one needed the parts but i'm sure that would be quite a task. I really wanted to bring them home today but just didn't work out. 

Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:04am
sounds like you have all you will need to keep your unit running for a long time. post some pics ?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:17am
Yes hopefully so, If i don't it won't be because i didn't make the effort lol. I'll post picks as soon as i go pick them up. It didn't work out to haul them yesterday but i went ahead and paid him so that i could just go get them as soon as i got ready.
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 1:28pm
where did you go to buy them ? i am in eastern ky.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:17pm
Not far at all i'm in Mufreesboro and they were only about 30 minutes north of me. I'm not sure what town it would be considered in it was kinda back in the middle of nowhere.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:45am
Orangeman....yer bouts as crazy as i am!!  i like that ina person!!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 5:51am
Shameless:  Thanks for the compliment - really...it helps to be a little crazy and inventive to work around issues presented by these wonderful old Allis machines.  

Know if I could only retire, wake when I want and play in the fields and wood lot - I'd be a happy man. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic