This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horseradish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:34am
Leaf looks a bit like daikon radish .....or even sour dock.

Done the way the commercial guys do it, very labor intensive. Root shoots harvested from previous year's crop, planted in early spring.......shoot is laid out horizontal just below surface with top barely sticking out. Then several times per year, plant is lifted, side shoots trimmed off and replaced. Main part harvested and processed is the head just below the leaf. As being processed......very potent tear gas.....get a face full of that and it will knock you down.

And nobody yet mentioned another close cousin.....wasabi.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 11:03am

here is what mine look like---- in July!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 6:10pm
whoah, wiping my eyes and blowing my nose :).

AC how long is that stash going to last you?
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:17pm
Mmmmmmm wasabi!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:56pm
wa....whaty?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 10:56pm
thanks AC...maybe i been spray'in that stuff around here not knowing it was something good!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:27am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wa....whaty?

It's Asian. To me a snootfull of that is way more harsh than horseradish
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:42am
The plants in the picture are in the front yard ----- have a row on the west  side of  one of the big gardens that is now 150' long, single row that people dig from. The plants in the top pix. that I ground was a 2 year old plant that came up by the well where I was washing some roots 2 years ago and a small piece floated  away and got in the grass and grew. I never got around to moving it so just mowed around it since it had a healthy lookin root starting. This fall I dug it, cut the crowns off and replanted them in the same place----if it likes it there---works for me.
The 6 half pints will last me for the winter----I put it on everything I eat --- jar goes faster than you think. --- If I need more in the spring--I dig and grind more before the leaves start growing, so 2 times a year you can harvest it at its peak.
I have harvested a little during the growing season and its o.k. but does have a slight different taste at that time. Dormant season is when its at peak flavor.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:45am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

wa....whaty?

Horseradish to wasabi

"the machine"  to the "machine with 4 turbos" 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:40am
Rule of thumb I hear from those that grind it around here; If the month has an 'R' in it, time to dig. I love fresh ground horseradish. So much the better if on a nice bloody prime rib!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic