This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holley or Edelbrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley or Edelbrock
    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:35am
I dropped the 351W in my old work truck yesterday.
I have everything buttoned up except the carb.
I have an old Motorcraft 4100 4v I was gonna use but I discovered some damaged parts after closer inspection. I can’t find the parts I need.
I decided on a new Holley 1850 or a new Edelbrock 1406.
I’ve only had one Edelbrock and had a hard time getting it right but it was good after that.
I’ve messed with Holley’s quite a bit.
What’s your opinion?
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:39am
30 years ago I would have said Holly. But Eddy's have come a long way in that time period. Match up what you want it to do and go with the one that fits.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
I would go with the Edlebrock,and get a strip kit with it.
You can fine tune it very easily.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:48am
Never did like Holley. Might as well put a funnel on and put a gas can on top.
My opinion.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 8:51am

Well,,I've messed with them Holleys back in the day and found them to be trouble free when you get em set,,but never had one that was too awful hard to get set right,,,
  Did Edelbrock buy out them old AFB's,,? I think the AFB's were made by Carter, weren't they?   Now, I really like'ed them AFB s ,,easy to get set right and they only knew one thing,,,and that was to go FAST,,!!!!LOL
 I remember I used to have an aluminum dual four manifold with two AFB'S ,,that I bought thinkin it was for a SBC,,,come to find out is was for a 409,,!! Sold it for $110 at a flea market,,,,sob was worth bout $500 and prolly worth $1000 now,,,!!
 Thad,,I gots a couple of Motorcraft carbs if you want,,I'll dig em up and see if they gots what you need and I'll send it to you,,,,,Clap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 9:06am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,I've messed with them Holleys back in the day and found them to be trouble free when you get em set,,but never had one that was too awful hard to get set right,,,
  Did Edelbrock buy out them old AFB's,,? I think the AFB's were made by Carter, weren't they?   Now, I really like'ed them AFB s ,,easy to get set right and they only knew one thing,,,and that was to go FAST,,!!!!LOL
 I remember I used to have an aluminum dual four manifold with two AFB'S ,,that I bought thinkin it was for a SBC,,,come to find out is was for a 409,,!! Sold it for $110 at a flea market,,,,sob was worth bout $500 and prolly worth $1000 now,,,!!
 Thad,,I gots a couple of Motorcraft carbs if you want,,I'll dig em up and see if they gots what you need and I'll send it to you,,,,,Clap

Joe if they’re flat tops I’m very interested.
The carb tips are just a flat piece above the float bowels with no raised areas or vent tubes. The linkage for the secondaries is plastic and melted off of mine and the choke linkage(which is same 2v or 4v) is broken.
gonna send you a pic.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:54am
Never had good luck with the Holley. And they were excessively thirsty for me. Maybe I just didn't know how to set them.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:55am
Last Ede I looked at in CARQUEST here is a AFB look alike where if works 1/3 as well would be a Winner. Holley still uses the old Power valve where ONE sneeze backfire and start removal to replace it.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:18am
The edelbrock is a direct copy of the old carter AFB. They have a much better idle circuit and part power than the Holley if you get a strip kit they are very easy to tune. You can order one for your application and out of the box it'll run well and give you significantly better mileage than a Holley. The only thing I've found Holley good for was track use the power circuit is more tunable at WOT.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:46am
Mac's Auto Parts has the secondary lever. They're part of Eckler's now.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Brian Jasper co. Ia Brian Jasper co. Ia wrote:

Mac's Auto Parts has the secondary lever. They're part of Eckler's now.

Do you mean kick down lever?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 12:32am
Liked the Carter. It would run good every day you started it. The dang Holly would run good one day and then wouldn't idle for crap for the next week. And it was a gas hog. Rochester wasn't too bad, but a lot of pieces.           Leon

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:07am

The only'ist thing I hated bout them holleys,,,is one backfire and you gots to go buy a new power valve,,,,,,,,,UMMmmm,,,,, lots of fuel IN means lots of HP,,,,,,, out,,,,?Wink
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:52pm
i wouldn't buy either one and use it outta the box.   find a carb shop that will sell you one installed and set.  save yourself alot of grief!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:25pm
Everyone has experience with Holley POS! if they expected the engine to run properly for any amount of time.
Do the Edelbrock as suggested, you will be happy you did.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by tomNE tomNE wrote:

i wouldn't buy either one and use it outta the box.   find a carb shop that will sell you one installed and set.  save yourself alot of grief!

Few exist anymore, speed shops are closing faster than opening and the New Idea is all electronic stuff.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm
The most ignored issue with any carb is Anodizing. They are from the factory where Each and EVERY time they are cleaned with chemicals the old carbs lose a layer of their original anodized surface, Aluminum is Porous, the wheels on my 20 year old truck leak thru the rims as the applied coatings have eroded over years, carbs too are aluminum and porous until Anodized same for TBI units with plasticized coatings, clean those coatings away and they vacuum leak to a point uncontrollable as well non adjustable and NON Repairable.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm
I just bolted on a shiny new Edelbrock 600. If I can find a couple small parts I hope to start it tomorrow. New distributor and upper and lower cap. The lower cap sure is wiggly. Thinking is setting it in a bed of silicon. Does anyone know if those 3 piece caps were supposed to have a gasket between the cap and distributor?
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:46pm
https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mustang-distributor-cap-rotor-adapter-kit-79-85-5-0_1a88582d.jpg

if like this then no

HTH                             B:-)     Dnoym
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Dnoym N. S. Can. Dnoym N. S. Can. wrote:

https://cfc7329ad537523a5de1-b21544d490ba797ec9de9d17e947de3d.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/mustang-distributor-cap-rotor-adapter-kit-79-85-5-0_1a88582d.jpg

if like this then no

HTH                             B:-)     Dnoym

Exactly like the one pictured.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:13pm

Well,Thad,,,lookin like you're fixin to put a spark in the 351W pretty soon,huh,,?? Good Luck,,!!!ClapClap
  I always did like this part of the whole thing,,,when it lights off after all the work,,!!!Clap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:06pm
She runs. I have it tuned close and driving good. Need to take it to the exhaust shop to have the exhaust finished.
Don’t like the fuel inlet is on the passenger rear side of the carb opposite of the fuel pump. I need to make a new steel line from the pump to the carb. Right now I’m running about 2 feet plus of rubber line.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:19pm
Thad,
Get yourself a piece of 5/16" brake line tubing and bend yourself a nice steel line to a small piece of flex hose to the Carburetor. Matter of fact, couldn't hurt to install an inline fuel filter to protect that shiny new Edelbrock!  I'm coming into this conversation quite late, but I've rebuilt many a Holley 2 & 4 bbls over the past 50 years, and they had more issues then they were worth. Like Joe mentioned, run it a little to lean to try to get some mileage out of em' and one little backfire and "POOF" goes the power valve! Let the vehicle sit for more than a month or two without opening the hood to check things out before you start it and you turn your vehicle into a possible firebomb from the puddles of fuel on the intake manifold that leaked out of them damn metering blocks and down the side of the block on the exhaust manifolds!

Rebuilt a ton of Carter AFB's over the years, and they were simple, easy to adjust Carburetors. Since Edelbrock brought the rights to Carter many years back, their improvements with easy metering rod/jet changes, improved gaskets and a few other little upgrades, its made a nice Carburetor "great".  I must admit though, I've recently wandered a little bit lately and picked up a Street Demon Carburetor for Jo Jo's 55' T-bird. I must admit, this Carburetor is just as easy to adjust and dial in as the Edelbrock/AFB is.  I was quite impressed to say the least. 

I even ventured a little more  and went a little more "exotic" and on my latest "grocery getter" project for Jo Jo, I've moved to a pair of 45 DCOE Webers on the Vortec V6 that I dropped in her 67' Nova Station Wagon. For those youngin's that don't know what a Station Wagon is, it was the first SUV.  I haven't fired the engine yet cause the exhaust system needs to be designed yet, but we're workin' on it. I got Jo Jo working on it to. Its been a 6 year project, but its almost there. Needs a windshield, exhaust, and the fluids put in it yet, but we're gettin close. I always wanted to try a set of Webers, so this should prove to be interesting.   LOL!  Been doing a lot of reading on them to learn how to dial em' in. We'll see.....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:57pm
Steve, will do on the fuel line. I’ve also been down the leaky Holley road. I used to have to re work them often in my racing days. Kept the fuel bowl gaskets handy for jet changes.
This Windsor sure sounds good. Very responsive.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 11:11pm
Street Demon! Ain't heard that name in YEARS! In fact have only seen one, and that was 30 yes ago.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 11:30pm
Check the 'hot rod' shops (Jegs,Summit, etc.) for a metal fuel line for your edelbrock,, I need to get one for mine on the '76 460, ,so, I been lookin....

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 29 Mar 2020 at 11:30pm
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:16am
the holly will just blow your gas out the tail pipe' the pipe will be wet all the time' my book there junk;
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:43pm
I spose the 15 gallon barrel mounted on top the cab with a steel line and petcock is outta the question then huh? shucks you can adjust the petcock by reaching out the winder as you drive! (poke,poke)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:32am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I spose the 15 gallon barrel mounted on top the cab with a steel line and petcock is outta the question then huh? shucks you can adjust the petcock by reaching out the winder as you drive! (poke,poke)

you don't be givin nobody any ideas like that,,!!!!LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:55am
Well when gas gets back to $$$$ and 9/10th a gallon again, he can put a sipper back on.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic