This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Float Front tires / NF WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59f100292 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Float Front tires / NF WD
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:49am
Brainstorming here: I've got some real wet fields, whats the largest front tires that will fit on a narrow front WD? It has standard rims, current tires are 5.50-16.  I could flip the rims wider to make room for width from the spindle but that won't cure height restrictions with the frame.  Any one go down this road? A tire thats a good bit wider, but not much taller and still fits on the original rim?
Sponsored Links

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 1:25pm
600 or 650 16; will be tops. or it will rub at the top. with stock rim's.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 1:26pm
Here in the clay, narrow front end tractors would tend to "plug up" with wet clay between the tires and tend to slide. I think that's one reason NFE tractors weren't very popular hear in later years.

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 1:52pm
Will you be adding any weight to the front end? Make sure the front tires are not filled with fluid currently. I can pretty much go across water laying on top of clay ground here with a 45 if there is any sod on it.

Edited by allisbred - 31 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 2:54pm
One of the ‘50s era GM cars had the same bolt pattern as the Allis 5-bolt. I ran a lot wider tires with them at one time.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:29pm
Install a mud scraper whatever size you get, I've had a lot of mud buildup while plowing at our summer show even with mildly sticky black dirt. They can be found at most swap meets and ebay.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
tom51 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:36pm
Used to flip WD front tires to help in muddy fields didn't put on wider tires though
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by tom51 tom51 wrote:

Used to flip WD front tires to help in muddy fields didn't put on wider tires though

I had forgot about Dad doing that. Thanks for refreshing my memory !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic