This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help--B with belly mower blues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help--B with belly mower blues
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:42pm
Well the B started to earn her keep this week.  I bought a used Woods L59 from a forum member.  Today I mowed six acres of "lawn", but I am a little confused about these streaks of high grass that you can see in the photos:

At first I thought that the deck was not leveling out due to the slope, but as you can see in the next picture I have the same issue on the vertical runs too:

Being fairly new to tractor belly mowers, here is what I think could be relevant info: I am running new blades (universal/edge on both sides), the deck and blades look level (eyeballing) on the shop floor, I mowed most of the wide open spaces in second gear, the (new) belt tension did seem loose when finished.   I had tightened the belt up to correct tension after a half hour as the manual said, and didn't think to check it till four hours later, when I was done.  I am running new Ag and ribbed tires with wheel weights.  The mower discharges on both sides as a previous owner has removed the side panels (I keep the kids far away when I mow).  The grass wasn't high at all, maybe six inches.  All the spindles spin and take grease.

The good news is all the streaks cleaned up with a second pass, and I got to spend quite a bit of time out on her today.

So, could a loose belt cause the streaking?  Could my tires be mashing the grass down and the universal/non-lifting blades not be picking it up to cut?  I'm not sure what to look at next.

Edited by RyanTN - 04 Jun 2010 at 6:44pm
Sponsored Links

BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:07pm
Ryan, I mow with my C in 2 gear and about 3/4 throttle, cut 4" down to 2 1/4"The place looks great when done. I know that my L59 is picky about mowing tall grass also. They just like to slip if your cutting to much at once. 
I use blades with lift.  Have a good one BIll P    

Edited by BILLP-SE-MI - 04 Jun 2010 at 7:12pm
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:18pm
Ryan
The bades with lift work better. 2nd what Bill said, don't let the grass get too high before mowing as it will "pack down" under the tires and not cut as cleanly. I have a CA with the L306 mower and use the Gator blades. I run in 3rd gear and 3/4 throttle.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:25pm
  you need blades  with lift  [we use hi lift blades]  no problem  2nd. an 3rd gear
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 7:46pm
6 inches is pretty tall for any finish mower. Keep in mind the woods bell mowers are finish mowers, not bush hogs.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
RyanTN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RyanTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:36pm
Okay thanks everyone.  I will get the correct blades.  The implement place I frequent forgot to order the woods blades we discussed at my last visit.  When I returned to pick them up, he found the universal blades in a bucket and suggested I give them a try.  Since my blades were dull as garden hoes I decided to give them a shot.  I will get the woods lifting blades and keep the grass short.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:04pm
I run woods high lift blades and can cut wet grass 6 inches befor it starts to streak. if the grass is dry I can cut deeper grass. The left side block off plate is a simple flat plate. the right side has a curved follower that is shaped like the blade arc. You should try to get them on they hold the clippings in and it chops finer.
Larry in OK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:08pm
I don't have a finish mowere (yet) but unless they are just worn out or bent I get many sharpenings out of my lawnmower blades. Are the blades on Wodds mowers not resharpenable?

And as for my garden hoe, a few strokes with a file before a visit to the garden keeps keeps a pretty good edge on it, works better that way. :)

Edited by Larry in OK - 04 Jun 2010 at 10:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic