This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with uncooperative oil drain plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NCWC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with uncooperative oil drain plug
    Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 6:21pm
If you have access to a welder get a nut that you can get a grip on and weld the nut onto the plug on the outside of the nut and the inside. It should have enough heat to make it come right out. Done this on a B one time worked like a charm.
B,C,CA,RC,WC,Unstyled WC,WD,WD-45,B puller, WC Puller,WD Puller, WD-45 Puller
Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:10pm
Just be careful when drilling through though.  I don' t know on a WD if the bottom of the oil pump pickup is right over top of the drain hole but on my dad's 45 diesel, the oil pickup was right over top.  My dad had the same problem as you did, and when he went to drill the hole, he pushed too hard at the end and went through the plug, the drill bit went up through the pickup screen, went inbetween the gears and broke off.  My dad then tried to bump the starter hoping to dislodge the broken piece of drill bit; the oil pump didn't move but the rest of the engine did and the worm gears on the cam that drive the oil pump sheared off.  This all happened when my dad's 45 diesel had a New Idea corn picker/sheller mounted on it.  It ended up sitting off on the side for 20 or so odd years and my dad gave it to me.  I should thank him for his mistakes help lead me to my orange addiction, otherwise if the tractor was still running, my dad would have probably sold it when he first got out of farming when I was a little tike yet. 
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:32pm
You can also drill a hole through it to get the pressure of the threads. If it is a plug with a head that rests on the pan you can cut the head off with a high speed cutting wheel.
This will take the pressure off the threads. With a hole drilled in it an easy out should be able to remove the rest without much problem.

Also some really good hard hits with a heavy hammer after heating will loosen the threads.

And as stated in another post, if it's a steel plug weld something to it.
I welded a really large nut to a bolt  and used a breaker bar with success.
Weld the large nut to the plug in the center of the large nut.

Edited by Jeff Z. NY - 23 Jan 2010 at 4:36pm
Embellem View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Embellem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 4:20pm
I bought a WD back last fall and went out to change the oil today. The oil drain plug will not budge--I mean this thing is on hard! In the process I tried an impact wrench and heat and still nothing. The head was already rounded a little when I started and now it is totally rounded off.  (Why didn't they make the head taller so you can actually get some grip on the thing?)

Any brilliant ideas? I've exhausted everything I can think of that wouldn't result in wrecking the oil pan. I already bought a new plug, so destroying the existing plug in the process is not a problem.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic