This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me with my decision!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me with my decision!!
    Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 7:43am
I will be needing to do a complete overhaul on the 301 in my 7020 in the near future.  With my orange blood, I am wrestling with the idea of rebuilding the 301, or converting to a 5.9 Cummins.  I don't want to go the Cummins route, since I like things original, but the Cummins sure does intrigue me from a power and parts availability standpoint, not to mention starting ability, although the 301 in my M combine is a great starting engine.  HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links

cougar766 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar766 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 8:26am
rebuild the 301 period
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 10:18am
Went through the same decision with my 7000.  Rebuild the 301.  A cummins conversion will cost more than 2-3 301 overhauls if you start with a reman or new 5.9 cummins.  And think of the mess of rerouting everything.  Put some high compression pistons in the 301 and your smile will keep growing for the first 100 hours as it breaks in, because the engine just keeps getting more and more grunt as it gets broken in.  Make sure you get the kit with the mainbearings for oil squirters in the block.

Is your 301 just tired?  Or is something seriously wrong?

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Dean(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 10:41am
If you go the Cummins route, be extra cautious if you are considering
a used engine. I know of a shop that put in a used Cummins, then
a second used Cummins because of very heavy oil consumption.
The used parts place would not pay any of the labor at all.
The farmer finally decided to go with  a new Cummins. It wasn't
orange but just be careful.
The used parts yard was in Kansas. I will tell anyone who needs
more information on a pm.
Bottom line, fix up your 301 and then it will all be original.
Just adjust the fuel pump to stock horsepower and it should
live a very long time.
HTH
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 1:18pm
I' m with cougar766 and Hurst . Stay with the 301..
Russ-neia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ-neia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 1:58pm
Fix up the 301.  I had the one in my 8010 done the right way - balanced, M&W piston kit, adjusted Hp to 120 pto and adjusted the fuel advance (torque screw) to kick in with less rpm drop.  Much better performance now.  Starts down to 10* F without plugging it in or ether.  If it had been that way from the factory no one would even consider a Crummins.
The innovators offer what others will imitate.
rcfynrdt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcfynrdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 2:01pm
301 no doubt 301 was a good motor no reason to move away from it. 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 9:09pm
Kevin; I talked to a guy at the London Farm Show who said that he had a 301 engine on a ditching machine. It had 38,000 hrs when it finally quit. 17,000 hrs first time,14,000 hrs second time, and lost oil pressure at 38,000 hrs. and was toast. It's your tractor and you do whats best for you. If you rebuild the 301 be sure to get ARP rods bolts from AGCO. The mennonites is this area buy 5.9 Cummins mechanical engines out of  10 year old school buses for 2-3G. I have good connections with them if you go that way.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 9:55pm
I agree with everyone else.  Rebuild the 301.  If you need another one, they are easy to find since they were used in so many tractors and combines.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 6:40am
Thanks guys for all of your input!  You really just hit home what was in my gut already.  The motor has close to 8K on it, and I don't think has been touched.  It needs head work, as I was loosing a bit of coolant out the rad last fall, so the head gasket is likely gone, along with the injector hole liners.  Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic