This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help figuring out this puzzle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help figuring out this puzzle
    Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:34pm
I've seen this before so I did it again.  These are new unopened water bottles that have been sitting outside all along.  They are roughly 4ft off the ground sitting on an outdoor barbecue.  The only frozen bottle it the one in the upright position, the others aren't even frozen a little but the upright one is frozen solid.  I placed another one on the ground lying down and it is not frozen either.  It's been getting in the lower 20's at night, mid 30's during the day and they are on the North side of the house in the shade all day.  Reckon I know why it takes at least 4 years to get an engineering degree, it'll take me that long to figure this out on my own.  Also, how long will Dave Kamp let us kick this around before he explains it?
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 1:13pm
Something to do with the air in the bottle?  Or the wind chill hitting more surface area?
Don't you have something IMPORTANT to do??  Sheeeesh!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:01pm
The upright one has greater surface area exposed to the air/wind, so it'll freeze faster also less area on the BBQ, so it can't absorb heat from the BBQ.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:16pm
o-k....I have a sub zero freezer and it's set at zero degrees, I put them water bottles in there so I can have a cold drink in the summer, stays colder longer as the ice melts. many times I have taken water bottles out of it after they have been in there a week or more, they are not frozen, but If I thump it(the bottle) with my other hand, it'll freeze up in front of my eyes. you can watch it freeze up solid! explain that one!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

The upright one has greater surface area exposed to the air/wind, so it'll freeze faster also less area on the BBQ, so it can't absorb heat from the BBQ.

X2!Thumbs Up
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:39pm

Surface area was my first thought but having trouble with why the upright one is frozen solid and the one lying on the frozen ground and the others are completely liquid and not a little bit frozen.  To change things up I laid the frozen one down and stood one of the others upright today.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 1:17am
Well.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:54am
re: freezer bottles
 the cold freezes the water from the outside surface towards the center...once enough water has turned to ice ( say 1"....) this ice becomes an insulator and the 'core' water cannot freeze. ther's just enough 'heat' in the very cold water core to stay a liquid. I call it the 'igloo' effect though I bet there's a fancy name for it.

it'll freeze up fast when you shake the bottle ,cause you're  moving ice and water around allowing the ice to absorb the heat from the water.

next....

math tidbit
magical number
 355/113 is 3.1415929
best approximation of PI using integers

Jay

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:22am
What are the magic roof numbers?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
smart azz !...
110 dayze(started Aug 24th,still not done)
$3,000(doesn't include fuel for forklift or garage heating to 80*F for day+ 1/4),
2 guys(stepson and OOW grankid)
1 happy owner (wife),
1 'disgruntled' owner (me)

Jay

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

smart azz !...
110 dayze(started Aug 24th,still not done)
$3,000(doesn't include fuel for forklift or garage heating to 80*F for day+ 1/4),
2 guys(stepson and OOW grankid)
1 happy owner (wife),
1 'disgruntled' owner (me)

Jay

Shocked wow
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 9:05am
Sorry Jay, couldn't resist. Best number is 1 happy wife. No happy wife no happy life.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:17am
Having recently had three kids go through the "underage drinking" stage, it's immediately obvious to me that the three laying on their side actually contain vodka........Wink.  When my oldest hit that stage, a "more experienced Father' told me to always have the kids open water bottles for smell testing....it was eye opening!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
I'm not complaining but it hasn't gotten below freezing at night and the days have been in the upper forty's since I switched the bottles around, everything has thawed.  To be continued.

Edited by JW in MO - 12 Dec 2018 at 5:32pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 6:16am
If you put enough of them inside, on the window ledge ,they'll absorb sunshine and help heat your house. Clear bottles work best and adding black food dye helps even better !

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:01am
Been below freezing for two days now, same scene, upright bottle froze, others not even icy but. . . . . . . the boy, third year chemical engineering major says watch this, grabs one of the unfrozen bottles lying down, shakes it and it freezes solid.  Then he grabs another, walks in the house, shakes it and nothing.  I asked him to explain why and he answers, "I dunno, just heard it works."
If he weren't so darn big. . . . .
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
Water needs to move, be agitated, to turn to ice.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:52pm
There's a wife joke in there somewhere
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:23am
DON'T place your clear plastic water bottles with water in them on your vehicle dash or seat. same with putting them on a window sill in the house. why? ever take a magnifying (spelling) glass and hold it on something when the sun is shinning? it starts fires. same with the water bottles. have had several vehicle fires that started this way locally.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:41pm
OK, I don't know any more than before other than I have figured out that my diet Pepsi won't freeze in the shop fridge if I lay the bottles down.  And no Ted, the Crown ain't froze either and it's standing up!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 6:52pm
it's all dark magic!

and Steve, I came up with a couple!

Edited by LouSWPA - 02 Mar 2019 at 6:53pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic