This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Equipment Shipping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Equipment Shipping
    Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 6:01pm
I sold one of my HD6G track loaders and I am having trouble shipping it. Transporters that I have used in the past are out of business. The quotes I was able to get are 4 times what I'm used to paying. They say there is a shortage of truckers because of new regulations. Anybody know what is going on????
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 7:02pm
Yep - GOVERNMENT - the new rules and LAWS put into effect have anyone who was a trucker looking for other jobs . 
 Brokers are searching for people who will take little or nothing to work while they need higher income to take care of Regs imposed = 
 Any more will need to move to political page !
Start calling brokers as there are some out there who do have contacts , the depending on how far you need to move a machine also will affect which broker can
handle shipping.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ralph cooley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralph cooley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 6:42pm
where you shipping to
EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 8:45pm
If the transportation companies you were using were charging you 4 times less than the going rate no wonder they're out of business
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 10:51am
My HD6G did get shipped 103 miles. The shipper had another machine on his trailer going to a near by destination. He got $800 for my load. The broker got $350 for posting the trip on the internet. My buyer had to pay $1,150 for transportation. The high cost of transportation is what made selling my crawler so dificult. Many being put out of business so that few wealthy can survive by outrageous charges is why our economy is in the toilet. Too many people want to be making money by adding to the cost to the consumer. Before I retired I reviewed manufacturing business plans. One typical plan had an item having a manufacturing cost of $19 and a market price of $600. Each part of the suply chain made money. Low sales volume blamed on the excessively high price caused the product failure. Many business and political persons have an inflated vision of what their time is worth.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 7:09pm
Trucking even as still see a lot of units on the road is dying. I owned a 1980 KW K100C in 1982, was hard then to keep up with payments/bills, keep a driver paid and still make any money, I do not see how the people out there today do make it. As I was once a heavy machine, truck and car mechanic I have seen the costs over the years, is no way the drivers/owners today are making much more than starvation wages, I feel sorry for the industry.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 7:34am
The new cost to the end user is the broker. If I was able to contact a transporter directly (one that was still in business) I could have negotiated a better price. My appology to those who contacted me with a lower price after the broker contract. The increased cost to the owner/operator is the fuel and equipment cost. The brokers are explaining their high cost by "shortage of transporters". The industry is being squeezed from all directions. Literly everything we purchase has a transportation cost built into it. The cost of everything is going up as wages are going down. Median income has been decreasing for many years. High end incomes have been increasing for many years. My advise to the industry "KEEP ON TRUCKING"
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:39pm
Here in California Independent truckers are getting hit hard and being run out of business through the new Air Resource Board Regulations on Diesel engines. A lot of awfully nice rigs will be "illegal" soon. All to the benefit of the large fleet operators who can afford to take advantage of what amounts to a financial windfall as they upgrade their fleets periodically and the $40K per truck incentive is something only they can afford to take advantage of !!!! If you can get partial loads through a Trucker you know and by-pass the Brokers it helps!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:41pm
"Many business and political persons have an inflated vision of what their time and product is worth"
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2014 at 5:48pm
I got quoted a while back on a hd6 from missouri to arkansas a 400 mile trip for 2200 heck the dozer was only 3500
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:00am
From Fredericktown MO to my farm (less than 150 miles one way) was just over $500 from a local excavation company that hauled my 7G, almost three years ago this coming summer.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 7:07am
Yes $2,200 is a lot for 400 mile shipment. My buyer paid twice that based on load mile. The point to be made is people like us that respect old heavy equipment are being forced out of existance like the old equipment we are trying to keep running. For those transporters with reasonable rates KEEP ON TRUCKEN and happy thanksgiving to all
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 9:52am
Back in the ninety's I was running a dedicated route, making good money. The new laws keeping me from running that same route legally, as it won't fit under the 14 hour rule. It takes 15 hours to do it. So... you have to factor in another truck to do it the next day, while not making anymore money as far as the truck owner is concerned.
   I came out of NC last week, turned into the yard with less than a minute left on my electronic logs. Ran the exact same trip this week and didn't make it, due to excessive traffic and had to spend 10 hours less than 5 minutes from the terminal. In the old days of paper logs, that would not have been a problem because anything less than 7 minutes got rounded to the nearest 15 minute entry.
   Think about what it is going to be when ALL DRIVERS are required to be on electronic logs in the next year! Things are going to get worse, very soon with the guberment sticking their noses into private industry.
   Why can I drive 650 miles and have to stop, but yet I could run twice that if I am in a personal vehicle? The fact that I am in a big rig doesn't have a darn thing to do with how far or how long I can drive. It isn't about safety, or they wouldn't have put that 14 hour rule into effect. If I get sleepy...with this new rule, I can't stop and take a nap because there is no way to stop the 14 hour clock...even if I have excess hours to make my appointment. It is just stupid what the guberment is doing to this industry. How many of you work in excess of 14 hours a day when you have a job to do? I know I have when not in the trucking industry...
  As far as wages, there have been trucking companies that pay what i make since the early 80's. The overall wages for drivers is going down, either by owners shaving a little off the cost by cutting the amount they pay the driver, or by the simple reduction of the amount the driver can earn due to new laws.
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 10:49pm
Sad thing is that the Independent Truckers are having a tough time what with the new Reg's and Fuel prices, etc... It's just getting more difficult for the "Little Guys" all the time!!! Hope "All" had a nice Thanksgiving Day"!!!!
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 8:10am
About the 14 hour rule: Can you shut down to take a nap and log in as a new trip when you start up? Will this restart the electronic clock?What if you have 2 drivers?
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 12:01pm
Back when i drove otr it was 10 hours 8 hours down what sucked is when you had wait for a hour or so you realy didnt have time for a nap and with the paper logs in the binder with no numbers i trashed many sheets and filled my pages back in . I pulled a lot of grain with hopper bottoms we got paid by the ton another thing getting loaded might take 3+hours and you couldnt sleep if you were in a line and had to keep moving forward
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Dozer Dozer wrote:

About the 14 hour rule: Can you shut down to take a nap and log in as a new trip when you start up? Will this restart the electronic clock?What if you have 2 drivers?

Only thing that stops the 14 hour clock is a 10 hour break, either in the sleeper or off duty. A nap won't do it...so Driver... just keep rolling so you don't run out of hours!
  David from jax
               Northeast Florida
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 6:08am
There are more and more of the little domes showing up on semis', that is GPS for the logging system as well a tracking and dispatch device so now no cheating in any way. Saw this coming a few years ago as cellular services got so much better along interstates and the advent of cheaper satellite service.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 7:56am
The full Hours of Service fiasco is put out there by desk jockeys who never drove anything larger than a SUV . 
 To understand it one needs a accountant to figure your hours for you and a time keeper to check your times . 
11 hours driving - 14 hour max day - 70 hour period for restart - 34 hour to restart - restart must include two periods between 12 AM and 5 AM .- During your 11 hours one break of 1/2 hour before the 8th hour. 
 Pre-trip, post-trip time logged -
Use to be you could deduct the off duty not driving time from the daily time and not count on 70 hours  and if you watched your hours so you did not run over the 70 you could deduct the 8th day on 7 day log, so you could work another day.
 Also you could take a 34 hour restart anytime - now only after so many hours - your time continues , so if you work 2 days and take 2 days off - those 2 days do not reset your clock - they count as 0 but your 70 hour clock is still running when you touch the truck again.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 8:04am
Ah yes and the GPS tracking - guy I was unloading asphalt with down in Iowa got a call from his dispatch asking why he was in Ohio. Seems the GPS unit was sending false signals of location . 
 After the guy said it was the 4th unit he had on his truck that failed . Seems one of the components of the unit would not stand up to heat applied to it by some outside force. Where he was and when he was moving or stopped he felt dispatch need not know. 
 Another friend who is still driving a company truck mentioned he uses his personal GPS unit as a speedometer now - truck is set for 62 MPH max speed if he leaves the speedo cable hooked up - but when that is unscrewed from transmission he can drive legal speed limit on freeway of 70 or 75 MPH on his runs. 
 So far the shop records, his trip report, fuel use records, have not been checked against each other - but one of the days someone will and then ?

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 29 Nov 2014 at 8:05am
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 2:19pm
So what would a fair rate for hauling say a 20k load 200 miles or more be ?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:11pm
Hard floor load, flatbed, small parcels on slip sheets, machinery, bulk material? All rate out differently.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 4:43pm
D this would be a front end loader since the original post was about getting someone to haul a dozer so it would be heavy equipment, thanks.  Mark
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 5:36am
That will charge by mile, most of the haulers here will charge a 'Loaded Mile' so the trip to the load and away from it are not charged. For my contractor $4.50/loaded mile was the last quote for the derelict unit I bought last year. Would be just at $900 to do your haul. Twehous excavating also does this in my area(pronounced twee house), I was told they charge $3.70/loaded mile but tack on a fuel surcharge so they would have been around the same price.

Sorry about missing the OP intent,
Dave
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 2:24pm
Short haul is typically a lot more per mile than longer runs, since it takes more time if you average it out per mile to get loaded, unloaded, etc.
David from jax
               Northeast Florida
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 6:56pm
When I was in business (quit in 06) I had a piece that weighed 55k, my trailer wasn't big enough to handle that load so I used to hire local contractor with three axle detachable gooseneck. All my moving was within about 25 miles so he charged by the hr,($95) That was door to door from his shop. Never had any long haul hired out so thats why I asked what going rate should be.  Been looking at a 545 AC loader that is about 125 miles away
LiquidBlue View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiquidBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 5:28am
The time pass and the problems seem to remain. I have this problem too right now. Can someone here tell me, how to deal with it?  My cousin shipped a truck and it arrived with heavy damage. He sued the shipping company and they paid him for the damage, but it took half of a year for that to happen. That's why I'm a little paranoid about all of the shipping companies, TBH. Not so long ago a friend of mine told me that he had found a company with the best car shipping rates and even shipped a car fast. And it arrived without any damage. Now I'm thinking about ordering a shipment with those guys too. But I still am a little paranoid because of my cousin's story. Can someone here give me an advice?

Edited by LiquidBlue - 24 Apr 2020 at 12:36am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 5:43am
Buy your own truck/trailer, pay the license and insurance and haul ONLY your own stuff(NOT FOR HIRE SIGNS) is THE Only way around it. Current cost here for less than 250 miles is $5.10/loaded mile, after that is a calculated per mile/hours against driver wages fee, right back to the brokerage level pay.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 6:43pm
The one serious issue with HE hauling is the rules change almost monthly. Now a HD5 or 6 or even my old HD7G at 24,000# will not be much load and will not require much trailer or truck, but chain down requirements have upgraded, no less than 2-3/8 Transport Grade chain with Ratchet Binders at front AND Rear. ANY loose components(Can still be bolted but sloppy) Must Be strapped in place with Regulated size Strapping for the weight and size(No cheap friction straps or ropes). Insurance has changed for liability in case the machine leaks fluids or does lose components in a move and the deductibles are HIGH.

On short hops used to be could Ride along with the hauler, Not these days as I have been explained. Again Insurance expenses.

Driver expenses are higher, fuels costs are STILL high, machines are getting ridiculously high for trucks and trailers. And do not even get into Oversize and special permits as with a HD16 or 21

Edited by DMiller - 18 Apr 2020 at 6:44pm
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:24am
I used Uship.com and received post on a 400 mile trip on way shipping a Ford 4600 tractor at very good prices. they double booked loads. I had quotes from high 1500 to several 6oo to 750 dollar range. not bad at all from Ga. to Ky .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic