This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heating with wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heating with wood
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:15pm
I may run out of seasoned wood if winter ever gets here.   Mowed the lawn and raked leaves in Shorts and a T shirt today.  Dandy Lions are Bloomin Brite Yeller
      If it wasn't pouring rain I have been dropping 100 year old Post Oaks for next years seasoned firewood. Cut blocks 20 inches. Post Oak splits good.   I have a stack of 20 inch sticks 5 foot high and 48 feet long in the woodshed for my efforts.  Trying to figure the stack in Cords.
  4'x4'x8' = 128 cubic foot.  A Cord. It would be easy if the sticks were cut 24 inches instead of 20
      My old EZ fireplace insert from the 70s has been heating our house for the longest. When we took in the carport and its 2 big closets as living space we added a small Lopi free standing wood burning stove.  
      8 to 12 sticks a day will keep the house at 70 when it's freezing outside.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:21pm
Lets see, 48' X 5' X 1.66' = 384 cu ft. 384 divided by 128 cubic feet= 3 cords. How come my math figgers never come out that even?Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:26pm
up here ,sellers of firewood say a cord is 4' by 8' by 16 INCHES !!

Dave , my math say 400 cuft cause  20/12=1.66666666666666666666666666667
 so 3.125 cords or 3 and 1/8th of a cord.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:41pm
Jay, a lot of sellers say that is a "face cord" which is not in any way an accurate measurement of quantity, they just use it to make people think they are getting a certain amount. A real cord is a lot of firewood. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 8:46pm
Ken, I heat with wood at the farm, Fisher wood stove that will really put out some heat. It was installed in '78 and is still in good shape but I am thinking of putting in a fireplace insert to free up some floor space. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

up here ,sellers of firewood say a cord is 4' by 8' by 16 INCHES !!

Dave , my math say 400 cuft cause  20/12=1.66666666666666666666666666667
 so 3.125 cords or 3 and 1/8th of a cord.

Jay

Didn't put in as many digits, as you did, Jay!Wink
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:27am
My screen on my calculator only displays 7 Sixes.  Jay must have a huge Calculator.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

I may run out of seasoned wood if winter ever gets here.   Mowed the lawn and raked leaves in Shorts and a T shirt today.  Dandy Lions are Bloomin Brite Yeller

He's teasing us up here in the northland. Cry
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:57am
We have fellas all selling Ricks, Ranks, Face Cords, even Pallet loads which the State division weights and measures slam on a regular basis. Can have a 1/3 cord or 1/2 cord but the remaining 'Sizes' are NOT legit Legal for sales measures as do not Truly exist. Three rows, 4'x4'x16" is 1/3 cord according to a reputable seller and as such demands a higher price as he delivers, same value for a Full cord on delivery just less cost as get the entire trailer load. Face cord could be 24", 16", 12" or 6" deep as nothing to regulate.

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:07am
Same here , Only legal way to sell wood in Ohio is by the cord, or multiples or fractions off same. Defined as 128 cubic feet well stacked. When I see those cheap delivered "cords" in the paper (which are often less than $100) I tell them I will pay extra to have it stacked and pay when I have a full stacked cord,, they never show up,,,,

Edited by Butch(OH) - 10 Jan 2019 at 9:08am
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:13am
30 some years ago when I worked a few weeks in the winter for a guy who sold firewood, he sold a full cord or a half cord . Full cord was a pickup truck bed full stacked to the top of the cab . 1/2 cord was stacked to the top of the bed sides. He slid a 2X4 over the bed and if it hit a piece of wood he would throw it out. He claimed that his measurements may not be proper but that was the way he sold it.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:59pm
My brother sells by pickup load. In Minnesota it's not a legal measure but the customers know they are getting a short bed pickup load stacked even with the bed rails. It's $150 per load of mostly oak. He has more requests for wood than he can deliver. Wood is cut and stacked at the farm and he delivered one load each day when going to work. Only delivers to customers that live close to work.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:19pm
The latest one here is a guy sell by the loader bucket full. No idea what size tractor and bucket,but $50 a scoop full on your truck or trailer. Seasoned oak is 300 to 350 a cord delivered to you driveway.

There could be other Winkpitfalls with that method,depending how good of a operator he is.LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

The latest one here is a guy sell by the loader bucket full. No idea what size tractor and bucket,but $50 a scoop full on your truck or trailer. Seasoned oak is 300 to 350 a cord delivered to you driveway.

There could be other Winkpitfalls with that method,depending how good of a operator he is.LOL
$300 - $350 per cord?ShockedShockedShocked  Holy crap!  I get a 20 cord semi load for $1500 - $1600.  That's not cut and split of course......but I know around these parts there isn't a 4-5X markup for that.  Phew!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
All kinds of crazies out here, I don't know of anyone getting rich fast. One neighbor kid (dam he has to be 40 already) has made a living mostly cutting wood. He sells a lot of it to others that retail it to cut down on headaches. His favorite customers are high end BBQ places that talk "from the oak fired pit" as green as he can get it. They put a gas flame under it and make smoke.

The city folk want it 12 or 16 inch very fine split. So more work than 24 inch unsplit. But splitting dose about double how many cords you have to sell if you have bigger rounds.

One of my sons friends stay at a mountain  cabin  and traded a pickup load of wood for use of cabin. They took good oak and cabin owners where disappointed it did not snap and crackle. So they got them pine.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:05pm
Ray, find some red cedar if you want snap and crackle. Best to use the screen though, or there'll be some burnt spots on the rug. Smells GREAT burning or not.
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:36pm
I sold a good bit of Post Oak Unsplit Blocks to Bodacious Bar B Q In Longview TX.  The bigger around the better.   Cut it  as close to 24" or a we bit shorter so their splitter would handle it.  
     Where they are located seems like split wood in their racks mysteriously took legs. Cops caught a pair of wood robbers backed up to the racks in a pickup at 1 in the morning. They tried to tell the law they were delivering Wood.   Really? At 1 in the morning?  What they had loaded was split
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 6:43pm
Any man that would steal firewood knowing the work it takes to cut, split, haul, and stack ought to be tarred and feathered....
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:04pm
I been cutting the last two days here, but haven't burned wood for heat in 4 years. We had some walnut logged out 3 years ago and my 2 younger brothers still burn wood. Can't seem to get the pasture cleaned up cause they both have about 3 years worth stacked away now. I spent a couple hours this afternoon on the neighbors skid loader, making brush piles Big smile That's WAY easier than bending over a chain saw and pickin up the pieces
 My heat comes from the neighbors grain bin now.
 I set up a small bulk bin and plumbed it into my basement with 3 inch PVC. Takes me bout 5 minutes once a day to the basement to top off the hopper and dump the clincker n relight it.
 I always liked gettin out and workin wood, but just can't do it so much anymore.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
I still cut firewood around here too, not as much as when younger and more adgile. like Tucker I don't burn it to heat with anymore, but can if an emergency. usually I use it in a pit in the yard now. I always gave the boy scouts and girl scouts firewood for their outtings, but now the camp grounds won't let any outside cut firewood in to the campgrounds. so when we go camping we take cut up lumber I find in dumpsters or what the neighbors wanna haul to me. can't blame me for bringing in any foreign bugs now!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
You used to get blamed? Go figure.

Edited by chaskaduo - 11 Jan 2019 at 9:24pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:31pm
Wood has been known to grow legs and walk away here. The only wood I lost was not split, just a limb close to the road. Buzzed it up to get out of the way,get when it is to muddy to get out in the hills. And one day it was gone, asked the BIL who cut more than I but he had not got ether.

At times there have been scavengers that clean all fallen limbs out of the right of way. With all the ambulance chasing lawyers I am afraid to let people cut wood if I don't know them. But I cannot keep up with the trees that fall, so generally never cut any white oak or water oak as some call it.

Big stone fireplace can take 32 inch wood, but generally cut it 18 to 24 depending. Never let it go out,just bury good piece of red oak in ashes. Anything less than 24 hours start digging red hot coals out,a few splinters and real small limb wood and you have flames real soon.

The best heating wood I have ever burned is almond, but the smell sets off my wonderfully's asthma. The first I got had been buried under old brush piles, been cut and buried for better than 10 years. Still hard and heavy,twisted old stumps but slit very easy.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 11:11pm
After handling close to 4 cords of split firewood more than once . I just happened to look at my left hand. 3 of my 5 fingernails are black. Thumb and middle finger still hurt when cold.  Lost 3 of my fingernails on my right hand in a table saw accident years ago. If I still had all 5 at least one would probably be black.
       At 78 years young, I like others posting don't know how many more years I will be heating with wood.   With 4 boys, now men, you would  think one of the two living close would help  Mom and Dad keep our wood shed full.   They once thought splitting  wood was one of the fun things to do and looked forward to winter to do it.
       Their Mom is 2 years younger than me and they let her, at her age , help Me by working firewood together.   All she asks is "split the sticks small enough where  I can pick up one in each hand". 

Edited by Ken in Texas - 11 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:08am
I see a lot of that around here too Ken, but they come after the fire is hot and there's food on the table! we'd still be doing it here, but it's very un-handy for us now at our ages. I should have made a better set up earlier in life for this here.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
If anyone is feeling like cutting wood, I have a bunch of walnut along my drive way that I need to get cut. 

Dusty

Did I mention that there are power lines close by?

Edited by Dusty MI - 12 Jan 2019 at 8:32am
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic