This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hearing aids,,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearing aids,,,,?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:53am
   well,,,,after listening to enough critics at home,,,I'm at least gonna look into the possibility of getting some hearing aids. Checked with my insurance and they ain't got NO FRIGGING IDEA how much them buggers cost, do they? I have a set I bought years ago for when hunting Elk and they work many wonderfuls,,,,In The "QUIET" forest,,,they amplify everything and not good in a noisy town or house,,,,it is a noisy sob out there!
 Anyone want to provide a magic wand,,,,?
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:35am
Without insurance mine would have been $5K. I have Widex, like everything except not full Bluetooth to my phone. I hear through them but still have to talk into the phone, I forget that sometimes. Also I miss texts and email notifications due to phone silences on Bluetooth but doesn’t alert through the hearing aids. Hoping an update will fix that some day. Still much better than without them, I can hear the smoke detector now.
Maximum use of available resources!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 10:36am
what ?
Wha'd you say ???
I can't hear you  !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:21am
 Last pair I bought was $6,500.00 and that was 2 years ago. They was better than what Uncle Sam gave me, and my insurance wouldn't pay a dime
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:23am
My own are PHONAK, do pretty well as much as can.  Are programmable for assisting with tones are deaf to, NOT just amplifying everything.  Are programmable off my phone for location controls as in a crowded restaurant can secure Rear Facing mics, adjust speech grade and tones manually as well off of my Iphone.

My Insurance paid first $500, from there was mine, so as stated, Insurers Do Not understand how or why these work or reason NOT to have just Amplification nor do they care, just figure to Bottom line and Only Pay the Least possible.  Same for my Cataract Surgery, paid for except $245 copay and WILL NOT PAY for Lens Implants even as that is Necessary to see with.  Will ONLY Pay additional for Prescription Glasses to Compensate for No Internal Lens and generally will NOT provide enough aid to pass a Drivers License Eye Exam Test.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Feb 2023 at 4:55pm
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:14pm
Mine are set-up so when my cell-phone rings all I do is push a button on my hearing aids, and it hangs up right after the caller does.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:52pm
 WHOOOPS,!!!!!,,you mean they don't make any that will self drive a tesla,,,,?
 CHIT, I had NO IDEA them things cost that much dollars!!  May have to go to FEMA office see if I can float a loan,,, Many THANKS for the info Guys,,,Clap ( Guess, I'll have to be like ole Jay and keep asking WHAT,,,,HUH,,,,HUH,,,?Wink
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:55pm
My father has had them for a number of years his recommendation is to get over the ear models not just the little ones that go inside the ear and also rechargable. His previous ones he messed with batteries. I'm to the point I need them now but haven't made the leap. The gal that cuts our hair last time recommended Costco, they had just gotten some there for an older family member.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 3:53am
  Hey Dan,,, I DID read that somewhere else,,but also that they were getting out of selling them,,,?? There is not a Cosco in 200 miles of here,
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 4:09am
Joe mine came from Sams club.
They Bluetooth to my phone(which I haven’t done) and have settings for noisy restaurants and windy conditions. The aren’t rechargeable. I didn’t get the cheap but midrange for what they have.
They run deals at times.
I can’t stand them and don’t wear them. It’s causing a little friction at home but I really don’t like them.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 7:07am
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

My father has had them for a number of years his recommendation is to get over the ear models not just the little ones that go inside the ear and also rechargable.

I have been blessed with very good hearing, but a co-worker says the same thing. His old hearing aids were over the ears and he replaced them with the small ones that almost entirely fit in his ears. He doesn't like the new ones and sometimes doesn't wear them. It's very obvious when he isn't wearing them.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 7:15am
Mine are over ear, the little insert units are not capable of dial in to specific frequencies, are just amplifiers.
My audiologist wishes the aid suppliers could be taken to court for supplying simple amplifiers as damage hearing faster than incidental noise levels. Just turning up the volume is not a aid.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 7:36am
I have always had an issue with ‘background noise’. Can be in a restaurant, or at a party, and can hear someone talking across the room better than someone standing in front of me. Now at home with little or no background noise, I can hear my wife perfectly when she sits right next to me. Now, she claims ‘you never listen to me, you didn’t do X like I asked you to do’. I tell her I heard you, I didn’t do X because I didn’t want to. LOL
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:02am
It always amazed me that there wasn't more regulations or requirements for hearing problems. When you have vision problems, the prescriber has to be licensed or working under a licensed supervisor. 

Twenty some years ago, one of my daughters was approached by a company for a job to aid in the sale of hearing aids. She would have had to go to a short training course (a couple days) that I suspect was more about sales training, than recognizing hearing issues.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:14am
Some states require you to be an Audiologist to sell hearing aids. Michigan is one of them. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:30am
 Well,my biggest concern is my youngest Son that lives with me, he has a very soft voice,like his Mother did and while he hasn't complained about having to repeat usually 3 times,,,I know it irks him to have to!! Another case is I got into a nice long winded conversation with a very pretty lady in Roswell last week,,,you know like them that sound like they are breathing softly ON PURPOSE,,,,I KNOW I missed most of what she said cause I did not want to ask her to repeat so many times,,,CHIT,,Chit,!!,,but all is not lost as she did tell me she enjoyed  our 2 hour "chat" and wanted to do it again at the local BBQ joint,,SO,,Thad,,,I'ma gonna go to Roswell and check out Sams over there and hoping I find something that works,,,,,?
  Hey Dave Miller, I was really hoping for the "Over The Ear" models but not if all they do is amplify all the back ground noise too. I have a Over The Ear pair for Elk Hunting that work GREAT in the quiet forest,,Not too good in a resturant or store.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 10:12am
My are Phonak P-RL got them thru the VA and get notification text or email and can answer in coming call but can't call out without dialing the number, I like them but it did take a while to get use of them and I can change the setting use  my phone.

Edited by Kenny L. - 12 Feb 2023 at 10:14am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 10:25am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,my biggest concern is my youngest Son that lives with me, he has a very soft voice,like his Mother did and while he hasn't complained about having to repeat usually 3 times,,,I know it irks him to have to!! Another case is I got into a nice long winded conversation with a very pretty lady in Roswell last week,,,you know like them that sound like they are breathing softly ON PURPOSE,,,,I KNOW I missed most of what she said cause I did not want to ask her to repeat so many times,,,CHIT,,Chit,!!,,but all is not lost as she did tell me she enjoyed  our 2 hour "chat" and wanted to do it again at the local BBQ joint,,SO,,Thad,,,I'ma gonna go to Roswell and check out Sams over there and hoping I find something that works,,,,,?
  Hey Dave Miller, I was really hoping for the "Over The Ear" models but not if all they do is amplify all the back ground noise too. I have a Over The Ear pair for Elk Hunting that work GREAT in the quiet forest,,Not too good in a resturant or store.

The in the ear models cannot be tone programmed as explained by my audiologist, only the over ear have the feature where is where you are going.

Hey Kenny, mine cannot dial out either but can be used for the call once dialed and selected.

Edited by DMiller - 12 Feb 2023 at 10:26am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 4:53pm
I went to the dentist today; I'm sitting in the chair and the dental hygienist is behind me facing the other direction AND she has a mask over her face. Do you think a could understand a word she said?  Then go out to the office and that gal is sitting behind a sheet of plexiglass and with the background noise and other conversations going on, hard to hear her also.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:31pm

Well, I finally got to Sams but they no longer keep any hearing aids in stock,,,,??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic