This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HDG 6 Engine issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HDG 6 Engine issues
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 11:26am
Hey guys my father sold me his machine last year and I've used it a lot since. Dug my basement for the new house, cleared a bunch of brush and fairly large ash trees. Until yesterday it was running great. I hadn't drove it for awhile so it was a bit difficult to start but it finally did so I went to work. I was moving some dirt around so I could get to a nasty cedar I wanted to take out and the machine started to smoking(black and white) really bad and idling really high. I'm not a mechanic but I've put enough hours on it to realize something was wrong so I immediately headed for the shop. I parked it and when I went to shut it down I heard a big crack/pop noise come from the left. I had a ton of white smoke and oil coming from places it shouldn't. Does anybody have ideas what might have happened? Looks to me the gasket is a goner but I wonder if there's more to it???
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:09pm
White smoke usually means a possible head gasket failure. Not uncommon, but its gonna take some work to change it out if that's what failed. You were probably workin' her pretty hard and the ole' head gasket let loose! Hopefully, not a lot of coolant went down in the cylinder. You can easily bend a connecting rod or two and do some damage to the engine. The old saying "water n' oil don't mix"....
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:19pm
Yeah I was thinking that might be the case but the loud crack/pop had me stumped. Do you think that was just the head gasket too? Or maybe just exhaust back fire? Seemed strange that it would come from the left side...
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 1:49pm
You could check oil level on deep stick he is on left side near fuel filter and the crak/pop
could be head gasket or a hole on side block if he was very hot or missing oil in
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm
You know what come to think of it when I got down to take a look the dip stick was stick out about 5 inches. I didn't see a hole in the block and the oil was a little low but not too bad. I think I'll start with the head gasket and see what other things I find wrong as I dig into it. Anybody ever buy one of the rebuild kits off of ebay? I wonder how good those are???
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 3:40pm
You could check the air filter and if he is oké you could try to restart the motor slowly
and check were oil is comming from ,the motor should be cold now
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:04pm
Look behind the injector pump. They have a tendency to knock a hole in the block behind the injector pump, It will be hard to see if it is there. Good luck.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:07pm
I do have a complete engine with a hole in the block in central Iowa, if you are close needing parts.
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm
I do see a rubber gasket sticking out the left side of the block right behind the fuel filter. However, like I said before I'm no mechanic but there appears to be a plate of some sort with a couple bolts on it. Any ideas what that is?
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 2:01pm
Can somebody give me an estimate of what it would cost to have the head gasket replaced? Assuming that's my only problem I might fork out the dough to have someone do it for me. It's that or I put the money towards a new machine and part this one out. I appreciate any advice.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 6:21pm
A head gasket would be a good learning experience, for you... Did my first one, around 17, IIRR...  Really not much to it, just disassemble, and take pics, post them here, lots of videos on youtube, too.  Alls I had was a shop manual, and great older neighbor, who soon learned me the ways of the jedi shade tree mechanic.  There is no try, only do...

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/BQ4yd2W50No[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 12 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 10:12pm
Unless your willing to spent lots on low hour machine better learn to fix or hire it done.Because next one may have more hidden problems from unknown owner.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 7:02am
It does sound like a head gasket. First thing to do is re torque the cylinder head and note any loose or broken bolts. Then watch the oil level closely for water in the pan. Check radiator coolant level. See if any of this helps before ripping it down. HD6 gaskets require re torquing.

Start the motor again to see if this helps. With the motor running loosen the fuel lines at the injectors one at a time and check for equal RPM drop. This is SOP before tear down.

I was about to reinstall the cylinder head on my HD6 when I found a cracked sleeve. The top 3/8" of the sleeve had separated allowing the top of the sleeve to rotate independently.
Good luck
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 7:27am
Gaskets and other engine parts are available from AgKits.com
(800) 437 3609 They periodically advertize rebuild kits on eBay.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:27pm
I have some left over parts if you need them-new valve cover gasket still in its package, new upper and lower rad hose, complete used dry air cleaner, a few rock used guards, a used 24 volt generator. If you need a head off this motor you can have the whole motor for scrap price bottom end is no good and has a hole in the block. The fuel filter, water pump, and starter are gone. I would like to get rid of it. I am in south central Iowa just south of I35
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 9:18pm
Well I don't think it's the head gasket. After closer inspection I found what appears to be an access panel popped lose. It's right behind the fuel filters so a bit of a pain to get to but better than the head gasket. Also, the white smoke wasn't coming from the exhaust pipe. It looks like my valve gasket has a leak and the oil was burning off. Here are some pics. Can anybody tell me what that access panel is for?uploads/14179/Access_Panel.jpg

Edited by Sicboy - 18 Aug 2015 at 9:44pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 7:26am
First off, is your machine early or late? A late unit will have a Allis Buda engine 4 cylinder, early units had Detroit Diesel 3 cylinder engines.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 9:58am
HD7's have the 3 cylinder Detroit's
HD5's have the 2 cylinder Detroit's
Early HD6's have HD344 4 cylinder Buda made by AC
Late HD6's have Allis Chalmers 6000 motor (upgraded HD344)
HD7G's Have Allis Chalmers 7000 motor (turbocharged 6000 motor)
HD7GB's have a 6 cylinder version of the 7000 motor

Send a picture
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 11:00am
Those are the valve lifter covers (2) To pop that gasket and move the dipstick you had crank case pressure. Refer to the 13 August post.

Identify the motor. If the injectors are under the rocker arm cover you have the 6000 motor. If the injectors are on the side of the cylinder head you have an HD344. There is also a plate below the fuel filter in your first picture that will identify the motor. There is also one on the dash. The HD344 has a flat top piston. The 6000 motors have deep dish and shallow dished pistons.

Talk with HD6Tom about purchasing a rod and piston assembly if you have the same motor type.

If the machine is still mobile drive it up on 2 or 3 2x12's to gain working space underneath. cut a piece of plywood to fit between the track if you don't have a smooth working surface underneath the machine. Block the bucket about 2 feet off the ground so you can get under the machine. This is SOP. Before disabling the machine position it preparing for the worst case repair.

Worst case you broke the pushrod on an exhaust valve and broke a piston.
You should repair your HD6G Send me a PM and/or we can talk on the phone.

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 3:12pm
Your HD6 have 2 cover on side block for checking the brackets valve lifters
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 3:50pm
I attached 3 pics to my post, are you not able to open the links?
Sicboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sicboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 3:51pm
Thanks Dozer, I plan on following your instructions this weekend. It'll be a good project for me and my 9 yr old. BTW I found my serial number HD-344-G 6-10863, can anybody tell me the year?

Edited by Sicboy - 20 Aug 2015 at 9:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic