This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G Wet Clutch Was Run Dry! Now What Should I do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G Wet Clutch Was Run Dry! Now What Should I do?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:10pm
Okay I figured out that my HD6G has a AC 6000 engine in it, and a wet clutch.

The clutch was both slipping and getting stuck for the last hour the "professional heavy equipment operator" was running her. Angry Now the clutch does not engage at all when the lever is pulled back.

An inspection of the inside of the clutch housing (through the flat plate on operator's right of the housing) shows zero oil, I assume due to a leak somewhere shortly before the clutch failed. I can not smell any kind of "burnt" smell from the housing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do after I fix the leak? Is it wishful thinking to hope that fluid and new filter will get her up and going? I don't want to fill her with oil if odds are that she needs to come apart anyway.

Edited by Leop - 09 Jul 2019 at 5:17pm
Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:18pm
Doubt if a fresh charge of oil will solve problems you mentioned. At best, it would show you if the small engine driven circulation pump is still doing its job, but after running dry, thats unlikely. The clutch assemblies can be removed once driveshaft is removed. Its then a strip down procedure, checking friction and steel plates for any warping which occurs when run dry.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:15pm
If the cluch was slipping and now she stuck you better removed her before make more damage
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:35pm
May ask the Professional why they ran it slipping! That's very UNprofessional
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:07pm
BLANK POST

Edited by Leop - 09 Jul 2019 at 11:23pm
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

If the cluch was slipping and now she stuck you better removed her before make more damage

Just to be clear, she is not "stuck" as in the clutch is stuck engaged. I have the opposite problem. With the engine running and the master clutch lever pulled back into the engaged position she will not move.

Not sure if that means that I am any better off. Im just hoping that it does.

Leo
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

May ask the Professional why they ran it slipping! That's very UNprofessional

I am coming to the conclusion that these days "professional operator" usually means that you know how to climb into an air conditioned cab, turn on the satellite radio and work a joystick as if you were playing Nintendo.

Gauges are a novelty to these new guys. They have never seen one before because they were taken out years ago after exasperated manufactures gave up on the idea that a human could pay attention to anything in that cab. This is why modern machines just shut themselves down and then give the operator a warning (in a sexy British accent no less) to please exit the cab before the maximum OSHA limit of 71°F is reached in the cab. Before he even moves toward the door she (the computer) has already informed her factory of what the problem is and which parts she is going to need so that the sales department can schedule an outrageously expensive onsight service call.

Perhaps I am just a bit jaded after this guy charged me $50/hr to come damage my machine. His boss gave him a good reference, and I verified that we was CAT trained and certified as a Dozer operator. That don't mean nothing I guess. He didn't tip it over is about all I can say for the guy.

I am afraid that the days of real "Dozer Men" are long gone. The visceral connections that those men had with thier machines allowed them to feel and hear the slighest vibration and what it meant before anything blew up.

Today the only connection between man and machine, if any, is the operator's butt against the vinyl seat.

Well I guess its time to take several days off to fix her, and then several more to do the work I was hopping to pay a pro to do.

Oh Well, live and learn I guess.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 6:21am
If these operators had to paid for the damage they should be better .
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

If these operators had to paid for the damage they should be better .

Now that the machines electronicaly log everything that the driver does, and the conditions under which they did it the factory can often deny a warranty claim which should help make owners more liable for damage they caused. Many owners of BMW cars have no idea that the car has a data link and updates the factory whenever it senses an abuse or fault. It does this without the owners consent, and all the high end models do it.

Of course these big machines also cut back power when they sence any condition out of specification, as well so damage should be minimized.

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:50pm
Yes, there solution when hearing a strange noise is turn the radio up louder so that they can't hear the noise.
Jack of all trades, master of none
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic