This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G- stuck engine.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RustyCup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G- stuck engine.
    Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 8:26pm
Hey guys and gals of the AC forum. I recently purchased a HD6G trackloader. It has a stuck engine. I was told its been sitting about 20 years or so. I took of the intake manifold and got some diesel down there, one of the valves was open so that cylinder is soaking in diesel right now, but the other three had the valves closed, I poured some diesel down there in hope that some might make it to the cylinder. Would there be any other way to soak these cylinders down? I didn't really want to pull the injectors, and what would be the best way to manually turn this engine over, terrible access to the front of the motor.....
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2022 at 2:03pm
You could removed the startor and try turning the motor by ring gear with big screw driver but make sure the master cluch is desangaged,the transmission and hydrolic lever are in neutral position.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 9:35am
Can you move the flywheel at all, even a tad? Use something thinner, like free all penetrating oil, it will seep through the closed valves with a little time, and  You can also pull the valve cover and 'pop' the intakes open to let the fluid flow in to the cylinder. Easy to check for stuck valves when doing it this way, too. My engine was stuck nearly solid, but after some time, I was able to work it back and forth with a big pry bar on the flywheel teeth. Easier to reach (and more leverage) if you remove the starter and go in through there. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 11:27am
Was the exhaust covered when it was sitting? if it wasn't, you are probably wasting your time trying to free it. Everyone I have ever seen with an uncovered exhaust; the block or sleeve (in a sleeved engine) was severely rusted and need to be bored or resleeved.

If you take the injector out, try a borescope camera and you will have a better idea what you are dealing with.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 6:58pm
If you have the intake manifold off, remove the valve cover and use a bar to force down an intake valve and pour in some diesel fuel. If the engine is stuck, there's not much chance of turning it with a bar at the flywheel teeth. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

If you have the intake manifold off, remove the valve cover and use a bar to force down an intake valve and pour in some diesel fuel. If the engine is stuck, there's not much chance of turning it with a bar at the flywheel teeth. 
   The procedure we described is exactly how I did mine. Through the starter hole. It would only move a tiny bit at first, but any movement was all I needed to work it back and forth and get the lube working. The thinnest lubrication possible is what you want to quickly soak into the ring grooves and piston skirts. Works on car motors that have been sitting for decades, and will often work on tractors as well. Maybe his starter is frozen, or the front pump is seized. My method will likely show if either of these conditions exist. Smile
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic