This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G steering drum machinig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G steering drum machinig
    Posted: 29 May 2023 at 9:17am
Well, I dusted off some old adaptors I got when I bought my 60 year old Aamco brake lathe 20 years ago. My steering clutch drums were pretty rusty, and I decided to machine them despite various opinions as to the practicability of doing so. My drums were cupped a bit in the wear area. Expect to eat at least one carbide tip cutting through the very hard and abrasive rust belt, but done carefully, it turned out good. Finish with a super slow cut, and then dress with 150 grit sandpaper by hand. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 9:19am
Done it in the past myself with no detriment. Dry clutches are kinda bad for it unless used often and then the wear on the surface just like automotive brake drums. 
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Done it in the past myself with no detriment. Dry clutches are kinda bad for it unless used often and then the wear on the surface just like automotive brake drums. 
Been kind of busy with the 6G, replacing my well pump and trying to find seals for my Massey loader. The drum on my left side was pitted up pretty bad and had a layer or mouse 'epoxy' all over it. The right drum didn't get the mice in there and so just has common rust. I'm going after the right side final next....going to attempt to inspect  the intermediate and upper shaft bearings without removing the sprocket. Cheers
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic