This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G injection pump problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G injection pump problems
    Posted: 01 May 2023 at 11:55am
OK,so the transfer pump works but there is no fuel coming out of the injector lines. I turned the bleed screw loose, the one between the 4 lines on top of the pump,plenty of fuel coming out there but nothing out of the fittings where the injector lines go. Possibly a broken plunger in the pump? Is there any way to fix this? If not,does anybody know what kind of replacement pump would fit on?
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 1:43pm
hmm,  hopefully the head isnt seized.  those pumps are about impossible to rebuild because parts dont exist anymore

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:36pm
My last experience when I got my HD6G running (sitting for years), I loosened the injector line nuts, and nothing came out, just like for you, but shortly thereafter, the engine started. The fittings are so sealed that even with the nuts loose, no diesel will escape. Still that way after a hundred hours of running. Anyways, good luck.
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 7:33am
I actually turned the lines loose on top of the pump and pulled them off,still nothing
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:02am
Originally posted by IH Steve IH Steve wrote:

I actually turned the lines loose on top of the pump and pulled them off,still nothing
   I'll stick my neck out here, on my 7G, the pintle, due to diesel gunk, corrosion, stuck in the extended position. On that pump it had a little round cam  follower that dropped out and chewed itself up. I could remove the center nut and actually push the pintle (plunger) down. Had to take it apart and polish the pintle .I suggest you remove the injector head and see for sure what's wrong before anything else gets broken. Can you see the injector head turning when you crank the engine? Pull off the fuel shutoff valve cover and make sure it's not jammed, and you can see some of the parts in there. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 9:10am
I tried removing the head,removed the 4 bolts and shut off valve cover,but it doesn't come off,seems to be caught on something
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 6:08pm
There is likely what looks like a stud with a hex head on the side of the head which has to come out to release the head.  It has a square section O-ring on the end and that also has to come out - it might come with the stud but it might stick inside.

Take care getting it out as IIRC it is also likely unobtanium

And you have to remove the shaft assembly that links the governor rod to the spill valve - inside the shut off cover.

Remembering slowly -

There is a spring clip on the bottom of the head assembly that keeps the spill valve in place when replacing the head.  If if has come off it will likely be in the bottom of the primary feed well.  It does make replacing the head easier.

Edited by Ian Beale - 03 May 2023 at 4:09am
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2023 at 7:42am
A stud with a hex head on the side of the pump head? I don't recall seeing one,or do you mean the one that holds the spring and valve thing in place?
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:25am
I got it started and it runs the needle valve was stuck I took it out and cleaned it,started right up
Thanks for the help everyone
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:39am
Clap
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 10:55am
Originally posted by IH Steve IH Steve wrote:

I got it started and it runs the needle valve was stuck I took it out and cleaned it,started right up
Thanks for the help everyone
  Keep a close eye on the filters for water and rotten diesel sludge.   I read somewhere long ago that running a bit of synthetic 2-stroke motorcycle oil in the diesel will add some high-pressure lubricant to the injector pump, so I do that now. Smells good in the exhaust, too. lol. Kept my old 88 F250 running going on 550,000 miles. Glad to hear you got it fired up.
IH Steve View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 12:23pm
I changed the filters before I tried to start it so it should be alright.
Can't wait to start pushing dirt with it,still have to put the clutch back together. The parts should be coming this week Must be fun using these dozer loaders
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic