This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6EP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6EP
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 4:38pm
Some HD6EP pics for warren Lucas.
First 2 are 6ep19942 with a E30ps winch earning 2 boxes of beer off the operatop of a cat D6D; and no thats not me im the one behind the camera
next 2 are of a certain tubby tractor driver sitting on his noble steed.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Sponsored Links

AusHD6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AusHD6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 6:30pm
Thanks Merv
Great pic's. I'll figure out how to post some myself with a bit of guidance in the near future. An AC crawler collecter in Gippsland brought locally a HD19 and a HD20 the 20 had a 24 yard cable operated scoop behind it. It hadn't ran since 1986, they basically put a battery in it and it started right up, They used the 20 to push the 19 onto a float then drove the 20 up onto another. I had the opportunity to buy them but didn't, I regret that now.
Thanks for all your help with the serial numbers etc. My HD6EP S/N 21082 has low fuel pressure and isn't a good starter, the rings are a bit sad, but even so I think your relief valve trick should smarten up the starting at least. 

Aus HD6 
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm
Might as well add 2 more to complete the line up of models
A HD6E and 2 HD6B models. All Bs sold over here after 14484 came with the 5 roller frame and oil master clutch
I once saw this old HD21A; one of the first with the 21000 motor; that had been sitting derelict for at least 7 years, and had actually sunk about 6' into the ground. Anway someone decided to buy it and they came over with some new batterys, checked all the fluids, and pushed the key. It wound over for about 10 seconds and roared into life to everyones amazement  Tongue    Guy who got it used it to tow a big old LeTourneau scoop.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
JonnyWalton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:12am
Any one know where I can get a set of Final Drive seal  for 1973 Allis Chalmer HD6EP
Seal kit part number 70096278  or 096278 for the early HD6 with 20 spline I think Fait Allis and Case are the same ?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:49am
Final drive seal leaking cant find the seal kits !
Part number for the seal kit are 1973 HD6EP part# 70096278 early are part# 096278 HD6 20 spline shaft 5 - 13/16" ID  and earlier part # 096158 They are all the same seal all the way up in the the 1974 model Fiat Allis built them in the the Case dozer and some Fait Hitachi which where made into John Deere models. John at Tractorparts .com has ones for the smaller 6 spline 5" ID Part # 080954   and part # 073762 but nothing to fit the 20 spline which is the heavy duty spline the G7 bucket loader . I don't know if home headquarters  Fiat Allis in Brazil can help.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 5:17am
Jonny - Tried Kaman Bearing?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 6:54am
I tried a p/n search on google, found a complete 70096278 package for my 7G at Fresno Tractor last month, Fresno CA.  I do not know if they have another but worth a try.

The guy I dealt with was Carl Urive:   curive@fresnotractor.com
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 7:00am
Just did a part number search again, found 4:

Construction Parts Service Company
Goldston NC   1-800-727-8787

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:13am
Thanks! Any idea how much of job it is and how to pull the sprocket off of the spline ?
I just take out he grease fittings for the track adjusters push in the adjusters then block it up to pull off the tracks. The outer housing should pull off just by un bolting it. I might need to heat the sprocket nut up to get it to turn off then heat up the  sprocket hub housing.  Can I jack off of the side housing to push the sprocket off or will this damage the finial drive gears or will i need a puller.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:54am
I am fixing to do this very thing but on a 7G, it is a bit more complicated for my machine.  You will need to remove the entire truck frame for the track and I HIGHLY recommend a service manual as to how this all removes/reassembles.  The sprocket nut is torqued or is supposed to be torqued to 2000+ pounds, the spline is tapered and you want to pull sprocket from shaft not the shaft from the housing so set a puller accordingly.

This is what my replacement parts look like:

My speocket ran loose with the nut completely off, the splines are worn too far to tighten the sprocket where it will not shift so I am changing the assembly.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

I am fixing to do this very thing but on a 7G, it is a bit more complicated for my machine.  You will need to remove the entire truck frame for the track and I HIGHLY recommend a service manual as to how this all removes/reassembles.  The sprocket nut is torqued or is supposed to be torqued to 2000+ pounds, the spline is tapered and you want to pull sprocket from shaft not the shaft from the housing so set a puller accordingly.

This is what my replacement parts look like:

My speocket ran loose with the nut completely off, the splines are worn too far to tighten the sprocket where it will not shift so I am changing the assembly.
 Note to self: check my sprocket nuts tomorrow. lol
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:36pm
I would check the retainer lock bolts too corey, the right side on mine had 'sheared' whether from a rock entry or just a loose nut that worked them til they broke.  The nut is 3 7/8 inches across, I am cutting a 1/2" plate to a wrench for it while installed, final work on it should be this week.
It will need a bit of time on the mill then cut it down to a wrench head and add a 3/4" square hole or a old socket for the drive handle to attach.  And I will also need to cut a wrench from a little heavier stuff to set the replacement shaft so I can get it right, that one will be closed 6 point, 1/2" may still do if I cannot find a piece of 5/8 scrap.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Apr 2012 at 1:39pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:54pm
I found a manual that's on line for HD5 which is the same procedure as the HD6
http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/HD5FINALDRIVESERVICE.pdf

They say you need to remove sprocket spindle to service the seal. You can't just remove the sprocket and leave the spindle in place and remove the seal over the spindle and re install the seal back over the spindle and seat in place with hard rubber hammer the install the sprocket !   
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 7:50am
Once you get the seal package and see what it all entails you will understand why.  The seal is multi-piece, a very elaborate what is considered as a 'Live' seal where it will not allow infiltration from the outside or escape from the inside.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:30pm
I paid 400.00 for 2 seals. It seems like a lot of work but this dozer has only 200 hours on it and it basically new ! I woulld like to level some dirt while it in one peace. Do you think that the seals would close up if I moved it around and used it. The original owner bought it from  Marshall Machinery new and was going to build a house on top of a hill he built the road and a Idler grease seal blew out and he just parked it. I was looking at his backhoe that he was selling and put money down on it to and while I was checking it out the this Dozer was park with moss and weeds growing out of it and timber rattlers had shed their  skins all over it. He was going to send it to the scrap yard and I jump in transferring my deposit towards the Allis Chalmers  and had it landoll to my home. I have serviced the hole machine and started to sand blast it down to bare metal. I bought a Carco Model E winch for with controls any tips on operation of this. I looking for a set of used Limb Risers 3" OD for it. I'm planning to build a 10 acre pond, few roads, and some logging.  The twin disk hydro trans is vary power full and I not sure how to steer it.  I has the steering lever and foot brakes and a decelerator petal. Do you pull the steering levers and hit the breaks to turn it or just use the breaks. It has a shuttle shift High and low . I not to familiar with the operation of HD6EP Dozer any Ideas what I should do and should not do tips on what operation I should do on cutting, running on a slope, and final grade . Their on one around my parts that has ever run a power shift Allis !
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 12:41am
Clutch first to control and then brake pressure if need more correction. 
Early machines had full manual had clutches , later had hyd assist lever steer, later are full pedal steer with no hand clutch .
 Any time changing gears or direction decilerate , Depending on slope and track condition watch the downhill side of track for problems , easy to throw one if they are to loose and the is the side that will go.
 Play on level ground and easy turns and such until you get use to it , with a torque converter the control of machine can be with throttle down when approaching end oe work area . Back dragging works well for leveling and smoothing on a final grade , using blade or bucket float position the smooth areas. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 1:14pm
You might want to find a local cat operator (any make of crawler) to come and show you the ropes. It will make you a better operator and more efficient and help prolong the life of your machine.
Jack of all trades, master of none
AusHD6 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AusHD6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 4:40am
Hey Jonny
Regarding the seals it is a big job to change them and like you suggest drive the machine around for a while and if you're lucky they might bed in again. The seals are a steel on steel spring loaded seal inside a rubber "bellow" -- basically two steel discs running against each other. If the machine has sat for a while rust could have pushed the two discs apart. Park the machine on level ground when not in use and keep an eye on oil levels and if it hasn't come good after 50 hours or so worry about it then -- if oil leakage is minimal just keep topping it up.
Has this machine really only done 200 hours? The track grouser plates and rollers etc must be like new?
Hope this helps
Cheers Warren
Dave027 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:24am
Hi Merv
The photo you have in your post taken/dated 2004, is that tractor in the Bay of Plenty ?
HD6 EW, first sold by Cable Price Tokoroa, then sold to a buyer in or near Taupo, had low hours when traded in. This may well be a tractor I can add some details about if its the one I think it is. Hope you get this reply and can put up another post, I would really like to track it down.
Regards
Dave.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:06pm
Hi Dave
The Fiat Allis branded HD6; is 40M25210 one of the very very last ever made, and sold in NZ is what we kiwis call a 6EO; it isn,t a EW series.
Is came from the taupo area; and was for sale on trademe many moons ago. Got sold to a guy in whangarei who wasn,t overly smart with machinery; and subsequently ended up in a mate of mines possession in whangarei.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:09pm
here it is; I hope !   pic taken this year after a engine job and a repaint
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:19pm
couple more pic of mine I hope ??
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:11pm
Good grief, are we working on a 2012 problem or a present problem? Anyway good suggestions I think. Now, if it is leaking because it has sat and the seals have hardened or dried, put a pint of brake fluid per two gallons of oil in whatever is leaking. Trans. final drive, or what have you. It will make seals swell and quit leaking a lot of times. I found out accidentaly when I put brake fluid in my PS and the slow leak stopped. Have since used it in auto. trans. Worked there too. I won't guarantee it's a permanent fix but it doesn't cost that much to try.
Dave027 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 7:24pm
Hi Merv.
Thanks for the reply, you are correct it is an EO the other older one we had was EW. 
I drove that tractor from new until traded on HD 11. I had a big accident on that tractor 2 yrs to get over it again. It looks like its survived the years better than I have. It appears to be a credit to its present owner. Again thanks for the reply.
Regards
Dave.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic