This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6E Sprocket loose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6E Sprocket loose
    Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:42am

I have an HD6E that I have been running for the past few months. Last week I noticed a noise coming from the right rear of the dozer. When I checked the under carriage I noticed that the right sprocket had about ½ inch side to side play. I brought it to the shop and pulled the outer bearing cover. The bearing was good so I broke the track, raised the dozer and inspected the sprocket. It appears the sprocket has become loose. The sprocket nut “keeper” was in place and still had the bolts in it. I removed the keeper and I could rotate the nut by hand. I could tell someone had been working on it before because the nut that holds the outer bearing had a ¼ inch bolt in place of the pin retainer.

Now for the question. Will tightening the sprocket nut solve the problem (2200 ft. lbs.) or will the sprocket need to be replaced? The book that I have stressed that the sprocket had to be tight on the shaft or it will cause premature sprocket failure.

Sponsored Links

mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:14am
   It may have damaged the spines beyond repair but I would try to retorque the nut. I assume it has a straight spline since you didn't mention it needed pressing. You may be able to use shim stock around the spline to help make up for wear. Check before torgueing that the threads are ok. It's worth a shoot given the price of parts. 
   The crawlers I've worked on in the past required the sprocket to be pressed on by a number of tons with the use of a hydraulic ram. This was done on taperd splines.
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:24am

Thanks for the reply mdtractormechanic.

The shaft is tapered. The book said the best way was to press the sprocket, but it could be put on by tightning the nut to 2200 ft. lbs. if a press wasn't available.
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:49am
2200 foot pounds!!!  How long a cheater pipe would that take!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by oljoe oljoe wrote:

Thanks for the reply mdtractormechanic.

The shaft is tapered. The book said the best way was to press the sprocket, but it could be put on by tightning the nut to 2200 ft. lbs. if a press wasn't available.
That's good to hear that it's tapered. Do you have access to a torgue multiplier? Using one would be the best method to tighten the nut as this is a lot on foot pounds. You could probably rent one at you local tool rental store. It's worth the price of rental. Using a long pipe could work but you stand a good chance of the nut being to loose and ending up like you are now or stripping the threads if you over torgue. Risky at best. I've had to go out and replace several shafts and some sprockets over the years due to the 'pipe torguing method'.
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 1:32pm

Rawleigh,

The book says that if you use a cheater pipe putting 287 lbs. at the 8 foot mark of the pipe measuring from the pivot point will give 2200 ft. lbs on the nut. I may need to eat an extra large lunch. J

mdtractormechanic, I think the torque multiplier would be the best bet…..if I can find one.

I guess the next thing to do is make a wrench to fit that big of nut.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 2:36pm
I'm sorry I don't live closer as I have all the tools you need for the job. Good Luck, Joe
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 6:44pm
Using the pipe method does work on HD6, but not on bigger tractors. When you are getting up close to required torque, hit the srocket hub on opposite sides with a 10 or 12lb hammer, torque up a bit more, then hammer again. Repeat this till you are up to torque. the sprocket will then be properly seated if the sline is not damaged from coming loose.  Mac
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 7:46pm
I have used the pipe method in the field on older Cummins engines 2 piece crankshafts and a few marine gears, does work if you set the part with a sledge.  I was taught by my dad, he was a A&E mechanic and used it on prop nuts on Douglas DC 3s and 6s radial engines.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:23pm
The sprockets on the HD5 are the same, the splines are tapered and a coarse spline unsless they are the old HD5 first used small spline. I have used just the nut to tighten the sprocket into axle. O used a 10' pipe 2" size over the handle of Ridgid nut style adjustable wrench. guess I was off some on torque but figured my weight on end of 10 ft being about 11' out from axel center was about right.
 After doing sprockets on D6 CAT and having to rent a push/ puller the AC is easy.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 12:09am
Midway through HD6 production, they changed spocket and shaft to fine spline. Many older tractors got the fine splines fitted later on. They say it solved the problem of breaking off the end of the shaft. I think that problem had a lot to do with incorrect torque on sprocket installation, and how the tractors were used. I broke one years back. An oldtimer on AC tractors then showed me the error of my ways; I had been winching big timber with no standing trees to hold the tractor I was chaining the blade to low stumps out front of me. The load transfered to the track frames which were flexing the shaft ends. Never did that again. welded a hitch on front of chassis for any time I couldnt sit on a tree or bank   Mac
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 11:50am
On HD5B I bought the axle broke where it is supported by outer truck frame bearing . One of the problems with outside frame dozer where any shock or push load is taken on truck frame rather than dozer frame itself.
 The the HD4 I had sheared off a couple axles as the wight of the backhoe was put on rear sprockets and transfered to the small bearing surface of the final drive, no outside support for the tractor weight  to transfer to truck frame.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Sep 2011 at 11:52am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
By the time we have learned all we need to to run our tractors trouble free Coke, we will be too old to run them!
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 4:13pm
OLJOE make sure your sprocket center is't crack some time when you thight to much the nut you stripp the tread or the sprocket center crack
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:26am

I got a chance to look at the dozer this weekend. I tried to tighten the nut and discovered that it had expanded to a point where the threads wouldn’t take hold on the shaft. The threads looked good on both the shaft and the nut but it wouldn’t start. I found a nut locally at  Zimmerman’s Tractor that still had the seal with it and installed it on the shaft. The new nut started good and didn’t have any slop in the threads so I tightened it with a big pipe wrench until it was snug. I made a wrench out of ½ inch plate and with a long cheater pipe tightened the heck out of it. I used Mactractor’s method of hitting the sprocket with a sledge hammer and retightened it 6 or 7 times. Each time I hit it I gained a little. The nut didn’t slip on the threads so I think it may be OK.

gemdozer, I checked the sprocket for cracks and there wasn’t any around the hub but I did find a crack between two of the teeth. I ground out the crack and welded it. I forgot to preheat the area so I hope it doesn’t crack somewhere else.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Joe
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:11am
I ran the dozer for a couple of hours yesterday and everything looks good.

Thanks again for all of your help
Joe
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 2:45pm
Good to hear it all worked out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic