This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd5g?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd5g?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 11:07am
Iam thinkin of buyin a hd5g track loader with. I believe it has a 271 Detroit in it. It is in workin condition. But needs radiator fixed. It leaks. Does any know what its worth and the problems they have
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 2:07pm
  They are a good machine,but they are 60 years old so it could be complete junk.The first thing is the under carriage any good? Tracks are very hard to find.So just try it out see how it works.Good luck on hunt for a using machine.
Ray
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 3:36pm
71 series Detroit parts are easy to find as all the inline units share the design.
the machine was 46 to 55 but the parts of track are shared with the HD6 machines also . On value - hard call as I have bought machines for under $800 to $3500 all depends on condition, running status, track and under carriage. Also sold machines for $2000 and up and would not take less than $5500 or so for one i have now. 
In fact rear housing is same as later machines.  Price can be from cents a pound at scrap to - it all depends on what works and what doesnt. later units had a 2 speed reverse, there were some changes over the life of machine but nothing major.
 It needs counter-weights on back to get proper work balance. If running right it will run a full days work and just sip the fuel . You run it up to throttle stop RPM to work it not at 1/ or 1/2 setting .  If you idle the machine put transmission in neutral - and engage the clutch as the brass sleeve in throw out bearing will wear unless supported  by bearings . Make sure when - the 3/4 pipe plug holes in bottom of rear housing clutch/brake area are open to drain any water or oil but not allow mice in as all will cause problems.  

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 17 Nov 2012 at 3:40pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
AC 200 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 3:47pm
Iam assumin that the tracks are drie tracks not oil filled tracks. And since u said run at full rpm I assum it a hydrostat trans
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 4:30pm
Nope not SALT tracks and the 2-71 runs at 1800 or so RPM and makes power in the upper reaches of the curve. 
It is a single disc dry clutch or over-center pressure plate . it is in or out and not slipped .
You control machine by skill and knowledge of running - think ahead and plan your moves. This machine is before torque converters and before sealed track. As old as it seems it is one of the first to integrate hydraulics and track into a system that work together as a productive package. AC was so advanced it put CAT in a panic as their machines would not and could not keep up with these machines on job sites. 
 As a 1 yard loader it was smooth and fast , as a dozer and with the attachments out there for it it became a industry leader . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 8:13am
The value is what it is worth to you. If you have one project to do look to see if the machine is capable of doing the project without repair, then sell it. If you want to keep it for many projects it is best to purchase a more expensive machine in better condition. Locally people are asking $5500 for a good HD5G.

My most recient purchase is an HD6G that I purchased buy the pound to keep it from being cut up for scrap. I have it up and running but I have invested over $4000 in parts and a lot of labor. But that is what I like to do.

The counter weight is important. The HD5G can't lift a full bucket without standing it on its nose. The HD5G is very exciting to drive down hill with a nearly full bucket.

The HD5G is not a hydrostatic drive.
AC 200 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC 200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 11:28am
Thanks for the info guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic