This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5B No Go

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5B No Go
    Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 11:48pm
I was walking my HD5 up the road in 2nd gear when I heard a bad noise that seemed to come from right under the seat.  I put the clutch in and she didn't move after that under her own power.  I pulled the floor and saw the driveline into the transmission was working fine, I used my Tundra to pull the it back about a hudred feet so I could go home.  When I was pulling it back it stopped a few times and I had to pull the clutch in and then I could move her again, something was locking up.  I can't find any gears either with the shifter, the shifter feels all funny.  I don't have the service manual but I have the parts manual and was looking at it, I think something came apart in the transmission.  How hard is it too pull, rebuild and get parts for?  Is there a common high failure part that could be the problem and what would it take to fix?
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 6:16am
 Its should be a fork and shaft shifter broken ,pull the shifter lever and you should be able to see inside the noche shaft end and am still have these parts.

gemdozer@hotmail.com
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:11pm
Ah yes , know the sound and the cure, rear bearing on trany bad, either race split or the carrier separating the balls broke loose and are all on one side of bearing. Pull the cover off the center housing and check ring and pinion.
 Rear bearing is a double row ball type, last one i bought from bearing house was $160 I believe. Is a std bearing cross ref, so easy to come up with.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
glenn715 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm

I was thinking the same thing about a bearing going out.  Do you have to pull the trans out to replace the rear double ball bearing?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 2:49pm
Yes , pull floor pan, drive shaft, bolts on trany , and use lift eye in top hole to pull trany.
When putting back in check clearance on ring and pinion as it is set by shims on the bearing housing. Trany and ring gear share the same oil supply.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
glenn715 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 8:29pm

Thanks, I am going to scrape the grime off and start working on it this weekend.  I am sure I will have some more questions.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:37pm
Unsure if I have that section of manual coppied but may have it.
manual tells the clearance for ring and pinion. Hope you just have to adjustthe depth .
Side clearance is a little more complicated as ring gear has to be moved .
Mine came in good with just replacing bearing. Might want to check some other bearings also on tarny , but more work .. LOL and more time.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 4:39am
coke is right, sounds like rear tranny bearing. the backlash between the bevel gear and pinion is .008-.014.  if all goes bad inside your tranny, let me know i have at least 3 complete transmissions waiting for a good home. good luck.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
glenn715 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 5:42pm
I know it popped out of first under load so I guess I will fix that too.  I will start tearing into it this weekend.
glenn715 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenn715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
I have a trailer mounted steam cleaner I am going to get working and clean some of the grime off.  Is there a rebuild kit for the transmission or do I make my own kit?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:54am
 I sold a complet transmission one time and I take back now my transmissions are dismantled for parts  no more surprises.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 6:21pm
Piece by piece deal with bearings from bearing house, bushings for reverse ideler hardest thing to find.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 7:10pm
What did you find out on the NO GO ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic