This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5B clutch disc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5B clutch disc
    Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 2:39pm
When I ordered the new pressure plate I went ahead and ordered a new friction disc while I was at it. The old one was a solid fiber disc. The new one is a steel plate with six "pucks" spaced around it. The pucks look kinda like brass. I'm thinking they're probably ceramic.
Anyone tell me, are these better than the old style, or no different? The new one is 7/16" thick, so it looks like there should be no problem adjusting for it.adjuster moves but a little sticky,so I need to take it apart and clean some rust off before I put it in.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Sponsored Links

Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 5:54pm
My opinion is the puck style is a universal type for any diameter clutch disk. Ask the supplier if the material is appropriate for a dry clutch. I have found both styles when changing AC clutches
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm
puck type is likely ceramic, wears better, and is more oil resistant that a fiber disc...
dustydoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:16pm
In the Nineties we only ray the (puck) ceramic style on tractors above 100 HP they said they did not build enough heat on lower HP engines ???
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
Are called 'Button' clutches in the industry, don't slip very well if they get hot and can warp if try to slip one too long otherwise are great for holding when engaged and letting go when disengaged.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 7:57pm
Yep, they come both ways. The ceramic will last a whole lot longer. Over all, I'd say we sell over 85% ceramic button style discs over the woven material. That's nation wide and export alike.   Rick
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 9:35pm
I got it from General Gear. It what they suggested for my HD5.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 12:12pm
I had fiber clutch in HD5G and went through 2 of them from cracking on hub to disc - last unit was a button clutch - been in 15 years now and no problems - 
 A overcenter clutch is either in or out - not made to slip and ceramic buttons don't slip well . 
 I have installed button clutches into all my trucks now as well as other HD5 machines i rebuilt - also in 460 IH utility tractor and the Pettybone loader i had .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:29pm
Thanks Coke! Got me thinking, that maybe the original one might go bad right after I get it put back together anyway. Now I'm glad I got a new one.

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 10:04am
I think a button clutch is what I put in my HD5 the one time in was worked on. In ag use have only adjusted it a hand full of times since it came here in 67.Uncle bought it new and planted better than 500 acres a year and summer fallowed a equal amount with this HD5 and a JD A as the only tractors he had.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic