This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd5 outboard seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd5 outboard seals
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 1:40pm
I am replacing the inboard seals on my HD5B as a maint4nance thing since I had the tracks and track frames off to change the rollers and tracks. I had replaced the outboard seals a year ago, have less than 5 hrs on them. When I took them off to change the inner seals I saw they were leaking. upon further inspection, they were barely making contact if at all and allowed dirt in/oil out. after measuring everything, they actually have .010 clearance when assembled instead of compressing the spring. upon further inspection, I found they have the later style seal/nut combination along with the later outboard bearings which are bigger. looking at the shaft, they are drilled from the outside to the center of the seal area to allow oil to circulate. my question is, are they the earlier axle that were drilled or the later ones that were not. they are not drilled all the way to the center of the shaft, just to the center of the outboard seal. I am thinking I may have the older shafts with the new seal arrangement. I do have an older housing but the bearing is gone so I cannot measure the difference there but the seal area to the inside of the housing is the same measurement. will provide pics soon. thanks for any help.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 3:09pm
Could you use a Speede Sleeve to make up the difference? Or if you can't find one big enough have one made? Just a thought.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:12pm
The newer axle shafts have 20 tooth sprocket spline. The seals for the newer axles are larger. Oil to the outer bearing is a problem. I always tap the outer bearing cap for 1/8 NPT so I can oil the outer bearing. The seals are located by the (3) drive pins and do not ride on the shaft or seal to the shaft. If the spring assembly is not compressed the steel seal rings will not seal. The inner seal assembly seals to the inside of the sprocket. An "O" ring and the outer seal ring are cemented to the back side of the sprocket. If you need a shim it would be on the back side of the sprocket. However I do not understand how you can measure clearance in the sealing rings without the sprocket installed. Remember the severe draw up torque on the sprocket nut. The early 6 spline axle has deep splines. Oil is supposed to pass down the spline to the outer bearing. On the 20 spline axle oil passage to the outer bearing is more difficult requiring a drilled passage. Hope this helps.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 6:17pm
I have the 6 spline axles. I measured the clearance once the sprocket was on. my issue is with the outboard bearing. the sprocket seal went together fine. after more careful measuring I actually have .035 gap at the seal faces. I am not sure where the clearance came from. I know I have the newer outboard bearing housings as they have the larger bearings. I have an old style housing that I measured and the only difference I can find is the bearing diameter. maybe I have an older axle that is machined different? when they updated the seals they wanted the axle changed according to the parts book. the only other thing I can think of is if the sprocket taper is worn too much would allow the sprocket to go on the axle more and give clearance at the seal. either way my fix is going to be to put a .125" thick washer between the sprocket and sprocket nut to bring it closer to the outboard bearing. shimming the seal out was too much work and I am not confident it will hold. will get pics this weekend.
thanks
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic