This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD3 Update- Steering clucth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD3 Update- Steering clucth
    Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 3:17pm
After  driveing the dozer back and forth I came to the conclusion it is the steering clucth... the stub shaft is in the clucth and pressure plate and everything rotates like its supposed to when I drive BUT the clucth on the right just does'nt grab..SO NOW..I looked for the retaing clip that holds the stub shaft in but am not sure what or where exactly I should be looking ... I dont have a manual yet so I am winging it...I have the 6 bolts out that connect the clucth/pressure plate assembly to the final drive and it seems like I should be able to lift all that straight out if I could get the stub shaft back ...Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
Cobb, did you see the link on your last post to the other thread that had a picture?  It's kind of blurry but is better then nothing. 
Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 5:01pm
I did check out the older posting with the picture...like you said it is a little blurry but the one picture that was clear looked like it showed the stub shaft disengaged from the clucth... which is where I want to get to...I can get the stub shaft to move about a 1/2 inch both ways but not far enough to raise the clucth/pressure plate out...I am still missing the retainer clip ( wherever it is ) to free the shaft???? Its got to be simple but its one of those things I just cant seem to figure out...Another hour down there and Im going to have to go see a shrink......Keep'em come'en...
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:14pm
round clip that indexes into axel, when sprung open , axel (stub) pushes into rear housing to allow the clutch to be removed.  Clip looks like small band.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 2:19pm
The snub shaft has to slide ALL the way into the rear end housing to get the clutches out. The "clip" is a c-clip with a button on the inside at the end. It is about 2" diameter. It snaps onto the clutch/drum housing around a boss that extends towards the inside of the dozer. The clutch fingers sort of point to it. It is hard to see. A thin flat blade screwdriver is needed to pop it off. There is three holes in the snub shaft, the middle hole is where the button clip snaps into. The other holes are for prying the shaft in and out of the clutch/drum. Take some mechanics wire and coil up an end to put in the outside hole of the shaft so you can pull it back out of the rear end housing when going back together. If the snub shaft slides in and out, it's a easy job.
1961 H3
Bud(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bud(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 7:15pm
If the shaft move a half inch either way, the clip is most likely not holding you up.  It took a lot of penetrating oil and working it back and forth to get the last one I did to slide far enough.  Kipn has good advice with the wire - otherwise you may need to push the opposite side in to get the shaft back out.  Luckily there is only room to push one shaft in...
Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:03pm
THANKS SO MUCH for the clip (hideing spot)  I have been rack'n my brain , trying to figure out where that clip is... I ordered a manual today but it wont be here for at least a week..and if your like me , when you get a new toy , you have to get it up and running ,YESTERDAY... I can see the first hole on the snup shaft so hopefully I can pop that clip off now that I know what Im look'n for...I was just about to take all the bolts out and start at the outside... Now that i THINK i know what im doing...any suggestions on where to get a new clucth assembly or hopefully just new disc's ???? THANKS AGAIN
donw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 10:38pm
Cobb:
Here's a photo of the clip that you are looking for. I read your post quickly so I may have missed this, but did you slide your axle shaft out of the brake disc housing or did you just pull the top cover and look down inside and see a dimple in the axle shaft? If you didn't purposefully slide your axle shaft out of the brake disc housing yet, and your clip is missing, there is a strong likely-hood that your stub shaft may have worked itself far enough out of the brake housing that the one side stopped working. My HD3 axle clip popped off for some reason and was laying down in the bottom. My axle worked it's way out of the brake disc housing and the left track stopped turning. You may not need new clutch discs, but may just need to put your stub shaft completely back into the brake housing and put the clip back on. Take a look at the clutch band that encompasses the clutch disc housing and if it looks usable than your clutch discs may be fine as well. If you are dead set on replacing those clutch discs, you have to remove the brake band (long side forward when putting it back in) and also the lever that operates the throwout bearing. The clutch pack weighs alot and mine wasn't easy to lift out, but it looked like it should have been... Don

Edited by donw - 21 Apr 2010 at 10:58pm
Cobb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 9:02pm
Don ... Thanks for the info...I got the clip out ....moved the shaft in all the way..THEN... after about an hour of throw'n my back out..smash'n my knuckles and a little (mabey a lot) of curse'n ....I finely unhooked the hand clucth linkage ...and out it pops...definetly not light though.. all but 1 of the disc's were stripped out on the inside..even the metal ones..everything else looks good though. I am also going to put in a new throwout and pilot bearing as long as I have it apart....should go back together pretty easy..I HOPE ....THANKS to everyone for the help....Cobb
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 10:37am
That pilot bearing is a basic bearing...6205-2RS. Any bearing shop will have them, or snowmobile shop. Polaris uses them in all of their boogie wheels. I had the throwout bearing number but can't find it now.
1961 H3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic