This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-3 reverse goes forwad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-3 reverse goes forwad
    Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 9:43am
My HD-3 only goes forward.  when I put the lever foward, it goes forward, it goes into neutral fine, when I put the lever into reverse it goes forward.  any ideas?
Sponsored Links

japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:05am

These two axels are turning in the same ditection. Is this correct? Or do they need to be spinning in opposite directions for reverse to function?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 12:24pm
What side is the “shuttle” lever on?  Rh side it is a power director. Left it is a shuttle.  Ag crawlers are power directors with reverse in the transmission. Can you shift the transmission into the r location?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 4:01pm
Welcome to the forum.
Is this machine new to you.
 Is the problem new. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 8:31pm
Any ideas ?? You don't have a shuttle shift forward/reverse type clutch !!  You have a regular farm tractor Low-Neutral-High power director clutch, which WAS AVAILABLE.
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:23pm
hello, the lever is on the left side, my doubt is if there are two types of gear for this tractor?
I'm in Brazil and here I can't find parts for the tractor
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:34pm
Two months ago I bought this machine and the reverser didn't work, as I broke the gearbox I ended up dismantling everything to see if I can solve this problem with the reverser
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:38pm
Exactly, that's what I thought.
Will I be able to change these gears so that this lever does the forward and reverse function?
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:52pm
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 10:53pm
Thanks for the help , I 'm Brazilian and I do not speak English , I 'm using google translation to pass the information , I 'm sorry for any writing errors
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:14am
You cannot change the hand clutch system from "Low-Neutral-High" to "Reverse-Neutral-Forward" without changing several internal gears inside where you are at. Those gears and bearings would have to come from a tractor or dozer that has the correct parts. There are not any new parts available any more.
japa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 7:59am
Many thanks for the reply.
Does anyone know where I can get used parts to be able to modify or the measurements to be able to have it done here in Brazil?
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2022 at 11:40am
Originally posted by japa japa wrote:

These two axels are turning in the same ditection. Is this correct? Or do they need to be spinning in opposite directions for reverse to function?

Myself being clueless, what parts are these? Is it the main power shaft and the PTO shaft?

In the other photo it appears that the actuating lever is on the left side which would indicate this is indeed a reverser machine as previously mentioned.

It would be a pity if this machine could not be repaired :-(
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:54pm

Are we sure that is an Allis HD-3 ?

Fuel Tank and front Radiator Shroud do not resemble a D-15.

G
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 8:21pm
looks like massey harris sheet metal to me  ,  did massey harris have a crawler
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Are we sure that is an Allis HD-3 ?

Fuel Tank and front Radiator Shroud do not resemble a D-15.

G

Good catch!
It also appears to be a diesel engine.

I looked in my book of Nebraska Tractor Tests by CH Wendel and couldn't find any Massey-Harris crawlers.

Edit: A quick Google search did show some Massey-Harris crawlers, the 44C is similar size but the undercarriage is all wrong.

I looked at a bunch of online photos and I'm not convinced that the undercarriage is Allis-Chalmers either.

Edit #2: I downloaded a PDF file of the parts manual for the H3 & HD3 crawlers. I am now convinced that the undercarriage is indeed correct for the HD3 in the original poster's photo; even the seat frame is correct.

The engine still looks wrong though, and the sheet metal is definitely wrong.

I'm wondering if someone scabbed a Massey-Harris engine onto an HD3 chassis?

Edited by Les Kerf - 15 Dec 2022 at 10:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic