This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD21-P

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD21-P
    Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 9:14pm
Found one a few months back that seems to be sound. I am thinking of pulling the trigger and have already worked a deal to haul it home. It has a good undercarriage on one side and the the other has a, let's say not so good sprocket. Pins and chains, rollers look good. Any advice on things to look for with these tractors. Spent about 6 hours looking over the internet so far for parts, found a few but not a sprocket.... Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 9:35pm
Center broke out of the sprocket?
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Justin_WV_ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 7:24am
No it is not broke. Just getting wore and starting to chip on the corners.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Justin_WV_ Justin_WV_ wrote:

No it is not broke. Just getting wore and starting to chip on the corners.

You can build those back up but not with hardware store type welding filler metal. Post up a photo; maybe I can help.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 8:56am
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:03am
I just popped sprockets on and off of an older 21A I think they were and a couple may be surplus to the owners needs. They however are the spoke type sprockets from an earlier tractor than this one.

I would like to see photos of the worn sprocket to ascertain path. That is probably an early 70's series tractor. If so it should have bolt on segments to the rear sprockets.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:25am
I thought the "P" models were mid 1960s and had the rounded front nose like the HD21 ?

About 1969-70 they came out with the 21B and it had the square nose.... ?  I agree, this looks like a newer model..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:53am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:56am
Really Struggling with uploading photos! Sorry!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:00am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:06am
The owner said he thought it was about a 70. I cant tell from anything the internet has to offer. The numbers on the tag are as follows:  HD21P-16018, MODEL 2100MKII, ENGINE CATALOG 4390467, 
21-10041
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Justin_WV_ Justin_WV_ wrote:

Really Struggling with uploading photos! Sorry!

I know this site is a bit difficult to master posting photos onto but If you can resize down to 1024X768 or so they do very well fitting the screen.

To me that tractor appears to be a 21B series of the early 1970's with an older undercarriage installed. Many of the parts were interchangeable between the P and B series IIRC. That top roller, and the sprocket I feel is older than the tractor.

I see the one chipped tooth on the sprocket. If this is the worse case scenario, run it some more. The gullets, remaining teeth, rail height, and shoes look to have quite a bit of service life left to them. That top roller is showing it's age however. Probably a hodge podge of parts to keep the old girl operational but that's what it takes sometimes. I'd wager it's a pretty good project and not really for the feint of heart as some of this stuff is damned expensive to work with if you cannot perform many of the tasks yourself.

Tractor serial number should be on a tag riveted to the firewall and stamped into the right side finals casting, or one the rear of the finals casting, (still on the right side). That would start to drill down to what the tractor actually is. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin_WV_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:02pm
I agree it is not for the faint of heart, none of the projects I do really are. I plan on clearing about 30 acres with it. Its flat ground with very little shallow rock, very uncommon in my area. I Will be having the land timbered soon. I plan on getting the machine to get the land cleaned up and in the shape to raise hay or other crops and graze additional cattle. If the tractor has more life in her than the 30 acres, I have 40 more acres and that will be be mission complete.
I am not much of a welder but I can see now that I am going to have to take it up and learn it well. A fellow that messes with older machines and keeps them going said he thought putting weld in the sprockets would give it plenty of life. I am pretty ignorant about these types of things and have trying to get the right ideas from the right people
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 9:45pm
A good machine shop can fix the sprocket if not bolt on teeth.. They just need the pitch and chain bushing size. Weld it up and hard cut it. Not that hard of a job. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
alsclmhd6b View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsclmhd6b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2023 at 7:41pm
I started working for Marks Tractor in Cincinnati Ohio in August 1971 after graduating HS AC construction equipment dealer. I'm just a hunt and peck type, so it would be easier to have a phone conversation, just leave a message and I'll call you back 513-252-1394 I'm in the EST.
As far as parts go call Crane and Tractor 1600 Harmon Ave Columbus, Ohio 43223       614-443-0594 Fax 614-443-3035  craneandtractor@yahoo.com  he specializes in AC and F/A  Jerry Zosel he worked at Marks Tractor in Columbus, Ohio in the building next door to where he is now. if he doesn't have what you need he might be able to find it for you.
thank you Donal Cash
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic