This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16DC ship job

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16DC ship job
    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 3:26pm
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
Looks like a very different and interesting job... I trust the pay is good!
I really like the roomy cab on your "16", just like they used to have on the A-C's in Sweden.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:45pm
Great pictures!  That ship makes the dozer look pretty small, even in the hold.  Just wondering if you were going to sleep in the little container that was on the truck?  lol!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 10:48pm
that's the best thanksgiving right there
HD3
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 11:29pm
Actually it is a Swedish cab it’s named klippan.

The tank is for field fuel oil and work tools.

I sleep at home but it’s exhausting because it’s a one hour drive each way.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:05am
This is some of the coolest pics I’ve seen Morten.

Good luck. Congratulations on getting your 16 set up and ready to work. Impressive!
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 9:19am
Morten,
 Amazing! Thanks for posting these. Looks like you got the job. Any trouble with things getting caught in the machine as you work?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:22pm
In viewing all the pictures of your machine I don't see any evidence of heavy duty roll over protection structure over the machine operator. Is the cab designed to take the force of a roll over? I know when those machines were new the ROPS canopies were not mandatory. What would surprise me is if the protocol for safety does not demand it in this high profile work place on the ship?? Scandinavia seem to go a bit overboard on safety at times...
In North America I don't know of any work place controlled by "Work Safe" where you can put a machine to work without engineered roll over protection?
Well Morten, you enjoy the job on that ship... it would really be fun to watch you work!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:38pm
That is quite the unusual project that you have going on there. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Darrel
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:26pm
Wow that's cool, did you sit in it for the lift in, just kidding lol.

Eric when I worked for neighbor and when he took his 645 allis loader on jobs, they gave him a hard time because the cab wasn't rops rated but owner of the company could run it so he always said just him and his seventy year old mom could run it.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:28pm
You know I recognize that yellow pipe fitting I scraped lol.
Again cool and thanks for sharing
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:42am
Update. Its now end OFF Day 2 its hard work for the old gal she started to sweat a bit from transmission and left finale drive leaks a bit. Otherwise she’s in great condition it have by now added 30 hours on the clock. I had loosed the right track once because iron scrap I beam was derailing the track.

The scrap is hard to the machine but for now it’s just a bended stair and a broken led light so nothing bad yet, but you have to be awake all the time and drive steady and slowly to not pick up the scrap with the tracks.

The cab is not ROPS/FOPS tested at all !! And it’s not right I know that, but I have newer thought about this problem before I was in the ship. Mostly because I don’t like to do slopes. But I need to make something in the future for sure!!

Actually I was in the dozer by lifting. The harbor company had the lifting points mounted and checked, in a serval grade that’s make the machine classified as a personal lift device. It’s sound crazy but it’s was sloly and controlled.    It’s more safe than climb a 15m pile of scrap.

It’s not easy to see but in this pic I’m flying

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 5:49am
Be very careful Morten. I can see how that scrap would be hard and potentially dangerous to both you and the tractor.

Many thanks for the wonderful pics. By the way, how does it sound in the hold with that 16 barking?? ;)
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 6:51am
With the new sealed exhaust system and the big muffler there is not much sound, and the relatively closed cab (with carpet) helps a lot!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 9:07am
Is that a section of dozer rail in the bottom left of the second pic?
At work occasionally we use our dozer to push garbage. We have steel mesh guards over the windows. Surprising how fast a 2x4 can catch on the track and shoot through a window if we don't have them on. Have fun and be careful.
I know you said before, but I can't find it. Are you loading or unloading the ship?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:06am
Morten, Thank you for your great follow up photos & insights. What an interesting & wonderful read! Glad your 16 is holding up to the job. It looks like a toy in a bath tub. How many tons of scrap iron in the ship? 
PaulRoidt(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:51am
Thanks Morten,  incredible pictures!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:38am
Yes there is a lot of construction machine parts in here, I have spotted a couple cat engine blocks,

I’m loading the ship, the scrap is going to Turkey to be melded.

The ships contains 22,000 tons total but the scrap doesn’t ran out in the cargo like corn or whatever. So they can only contain 18 without the dozer so now we’re trying to fill it up.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:52am
Update!!

I have had a breakdown, I was reversing out of the scrap pile and I picked up a massive pice of iron in the sprockets, it pushed the recycle spring totally together I believe and I was still reversing (had not noticed it at all) then I could just hear a bang and the track fall off. It was the track adjuster! It was blown up it have a really big crack and it was deformed. The dozer was hauled up and i was afraid that I had to rent a dozer asap but I was able to make a new track adjuster in 50 min just using my shoulder stick welder and a grinder, I ran to the harbor supply store and bought a hydraulic cylinder and cut the rod and head end off and Welded it on the idler frame and filled it with grease. It’s drive okay for now but I mabye have to rebuild it later..
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
Nice repair job... and you were able to do it so quickly!! You need to be a jack of all trades when you operate machinery. I trust they give you a better than ordinary rate of pay for the high risk of damage to the machine. You could really use several video cams with monitor screens to see what's going on all around the machine and be able to stop quickly when you see trouble.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 1:51pm

Ingenious repair, cant get over the size of the claw hoisting you, all very interesting.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 11:07pm
Good thinking on the quick fix and it looks substantial too.Best wishes and take it slow and careful.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:03am
Looking at Morten's ingenious repair on his track adjuster,, made me thing of upgrading the adjusters on my 16. I wonder if you had a pair of 20 ton porta power type rams welded to the idler arm would work. You could pump to your hearts content to tighten tracks. They made rams long enough for that purpose I believe. You could just hook up the hose and handle when you need to adjust.

Has anyone done this this type of fab before?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
Don't need that kind of push, that is why the old ones were not so huge, could break a track pin this way.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:01pm
Party pooper!!
You make sense of course DMiller.

Must practice restraint. ;)
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:12am
The journey is over, the ship has sailed. The smu just nearly reached 50 hours only on this job. The cargo is filled to the limet With 30,000 tons iron.

I have lost one guide skid plate at the idler, for pusharm movement. Som scratchers and small damage that’s all I can find so far!

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:42am
A job you will remember all your life. I would never have thought of using a dozer for a job like that. Good Job.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Morten.have Morten.have wrote:

The journey is over, the ship has sailed. The smu just nearly reached 50 hours only on this job. The cargo is filled to the limet With 30,000 tons iron.

I have lost one guide skid plate at the idler, for pusharm movement. Som scratchers and small damage that’s all I can find so far!

Congratulations Morten. Well done. Based on this experience what modifications would you consider to your 16 for another similar project. I bet you already have your list of modifications.
Thank you for sharing this with us. It’s been fascinating.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:14am
Did you make enough money to retire, or do you have to pursue another job.... ? Thanks for all of the cool pictures and story. Darrel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 7:33am
Looked brutal work on the old 16, still pays to be useful! Great photos and info Morton!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic