This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16 to the Allis Chalmers collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16 to the Allis Chalmers collection
    Posted: 14 May 2014 at 9:46pm
Here's the latest acquisition to our Allis Chalmers collection. This would be a HD16 A C SER. #208 1955. The C standing for converter. This would be the first year of production and it looks like they started with serial #101, so this should be 107 of the assembly line.  It was near the town of Mad River,Ca. Trinity Co. It's about a 5 hour trip, one way empty with a lowbed trailer. Hwy 101 to Hwy 36 out 50 miles and longer coming back loaded photo P5090002_zpse1ca0a3c.jpg
We contacted the owner of the tractor, Jackie Koll who thought it would be a good addition to our collection. The tractor had been located on her ranch and timberland property in Trinity Co. The previous owner of the tractor had used it for doing construction and road maintenance for many different land owners in the area for many years. The story is he might have even bought it new. He passed away many years ago and the tractor has been sitting for 15-20Yrs ?. She contacted the family heirs and they thought she could dispose of it as she pleased. photo P5090001_zpsbca1bf2e.jpg
Sometimes when we haul bigger tractors we borrow this cozad trailer and pull with our truck. We thought this tractor should weigh 38,000 to 40,000 lbs so we opted for the cozad trailer. It actually weighed 42000. We weighed it on our scales before we unloaded it. photo P5090007_zps35f88ff3.jpg
Jackie had made arraingments with another local to bring the tractor from her property to a easier  location. Lynn Dillon of Lynn Dillon Construction , had moved the tractor to his yard so we could access it. photo P5090016_zpsc0d1056c.jpg
Lynn used his CAT D7F to muscle this thing around and onto the lowbed photo P5090017_zps6ed33794.jpg
 photo P5090018_zps268833e0.jpg
 photo P5090020_zpsb50ef199.jpg
 photo P5090022_zps12755eeb.jpg
 photo P5090023_zps5dfa80ae.jpg
 photo P5090024_zpse5bf1f8e.jpg
Jackie watched as we pushed it all the way to the back of the trailer before reataching the gooseneck. Once the lowbed is hooked back up then Lynn could push it ahead for the right location. photo P5090030_zpsfaddcc37.jpg
So this is what it looks like once it was ready to go. We thought maybe we would go to the top of the hill before we had lunch (knowing that some of HWY 36 is uglier than homemade soap) photo P5100039_zpsfaab15b7.jpg
You can see by the HWY signs in these pictures that it's bad downhill in either direction. Good lunch spot (and for some old loggers if it's paved it might as well be a freeway) photo P5100040_zpsf3323a94.jpg
We contacted AC Crazy (our go to guy in Humboldt County) to see if he wanted to ride out there from Hwy 36 with me in the service truck and back, but do to the short notice he was unable to. This tractor is a sister to the one his family had and used for logging in Humboldt county years ago. We had located it and it slipped through our hands to scrap before we could get it. (see abandonded HD21 in the forum post for more info on that).He commented about what a nice motocycle ride it was on Hwy 36. So what he doesn't know is that we're going yo see if he can ride out there to the 3rd switchback after you leave Bridgeville to meet with and take pictures of an HD15 that needs rescue. (now that we know the route) photo P5100043_zps83ed2c80.jpg
So most of you would recognize our 745 for unloading almost all of the collection stuff. photo P5100047_zps1c8abd34.jpg
The Akins Tractor Co. was the local dealer. Our father bought 2 new ACs from them back in the 1950s. We think they went away in the early 1960s. Later on we had to get parts from Consolidated Tractor in the Bay Area. photo P5100051_zpsf4c67b80.jpg
So this is what it takes to rescue old HD16s. We don't know if we will rebuild the whole machine or just use it for parts. The engine is froze up the pins and bushings are gone (grousers are good). But there's a lot of important parts available. So AC buffs should post up kudos to Jackie for having the patience to let us get up there and rescue this thing.
Sponsored Links

ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 10:06pm
Awesome Mel!! I vote you guys try to get 'er unstuck and fired up!
A big thank you to Jackie for letting you save this machine.

I will be happy to get pics of the HD15 for you.
James Coons View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Coons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:08am
great to see another one of the bigger ones safe and sound!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:38am
It has to be nice to have your own moving equipment...
 I spotted this HD16 over the weekend, but its about 5 hours away from me.

It looks tired, some fellows said the owner would use it for a few hours and then have to work on it for a day or two. but the engine ran real good. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:06am
nice find, i am jealous.  Heavy fuel tank guard, converter, and M100 front cable control!!

and why are they always missing the front idler shields?!!!

Edited by CAL(KS) - 15 May 2014 at 4:08am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 9:56am
JC We'd be all over that if  it's 5 hours away. That's what this trip was and we made the loop in exactly 11 hours.

Cal this front unit should be a Garwood 151 ? Did it later become the AC M100? Yes those idler guards always disappeared early on. One of the only ones we've brought in that still had them was the Core HD5 that was complete in every way.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:30am
I'm wondering about the color, is it really purple or is it just the camera?  Nice find, by the way.  It would be nice to hear it run, even if it is eventually parted out.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2014 at 11:32am

AC Mel, I stopped just long enough to take a pic of it.

I don't even know if its for sale or at what price if it is....

An Ag HD16 weighs like 32,000 pounds, yours with winch and guards weighed 42,000 so this one would weigh what, maybe 38-39,000 pounds?

What would a fair price be for that hunk of iron?

I am not prepared to haul stuff that heavy, just what ever my 3/4 ford and gooseneck trailer can haul. So hauling would have to be hired... and I don't know what it would cost to move it. Probably cost more than dozer is worth if it was given to me. LOL

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:37am
John, Yes it some kind of purpleish. My nephew emailed us from New York and thought his monitor was going bad or is it a purple primer? We only had one picture of it parked under some trees in the shade and when I drove up to it I did the Huh? (some orange is showing through though)  We do know where there is a pink HD9 dozer that we're going to try to bring to the collection.

JC,  With the hydraulics I would bet it still weighs closer to 40,000 lbs.plus. The value out here pretty much depends on scrap price and location. Scrap delivered can be 150.00 to 250.00 a ton, so at 20 tons it could be 3000.00, but then the owner has to take into consideration the lowbed rate off 100.00 to 150.00 an hour to transport to scrap and there could be additional charges for equipment to help load it. So in remote locations like this the value can be all over the board.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 6:46pm
"Uglier than homemade soap".. lol
drycrk View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drycrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
Would you or someone you know be interested in HD 16 parts A lady here just sold a farm her and her husband had owned, there is parts of 3 HD 16 on it, she said there is enough parts on the farm and at the place where she lives to put together a complete HD 16 she said the set of tracks are new.
My name is Marion my phone number is 970-249-7198 
If someone is interested I will get her number and maybe I can send some pictures. This is in Montrose Colorado. Hope someone is interested, hate to see old iron go as scrap to China.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:50pm
I'm one of the closest forum members but it's still around 250 miles and two or three 12,000 foot passes away.  Hopefully someone in the area would be interested.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 7:06am
Great find Mel. The winch on the tail is a nice addition. Want one for my 16DC some day.

Not bragging however my 16DC HAS ALL 4 IDLER AND REAR SPROCKET GAURDS. Just saying.

Hope you opt to restore this. Would love to see the process you go through on a model I have. Sorry for being selfish.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic