This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11EP slow mover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basdas37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11EP slow mover
    Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 5:43pm
Hey Allis Chalmers people I am in need of some insight some step-by-step diagnostic on my HD 11 EP with a dozer blade.

I got the old girl home drove it out to the field drop the blade and the speed going forward dropped to a crawl just barely going forward. Oil filters have been changed and oil levelwas topped off.

What would be the progression of diagnostics on figuring out what is wrong with either the torque converter side or the transmission side? Any help would be of great relief. Thank you
Sponsored Links

Doughd16b View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doughd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:27pm
can be a few Things. give me a call I will try to help.252 916 2927
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Basdas37 Basdas37 wrote:

Hey Allis Chalmers people I am in need of some insight some step-by-step diagnostic on my HD 11 EP with a dozer blade.

I got the old girl home drove it out to the field drop the blade and the speed going forward dropped to a crawl just barely going forward. Oil filters have been changed and oil levelwas topped off.

What would be the progression of diagnostics on figuring out what is wrong with either the torque converter side or the transmission side? Any help would be of great relief. Thank you
You didn't state what the engine was doing while the speed dropped.....was the engine RPM down and the speed?
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 4:07am
Corey is correct as to diagnosis, engine speed change? If not then what oil is in transmission? Is drive line coupling spinning fast while speed slowing or does it also slow?

Should be a 10w equivalent oil in trans.
Basdas37 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basdas37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:05am
Good point engine speed/sound does not change.
Basdas37 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basdas37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm
Hi my name is Brett just thought I’d email you see if I can gain some wisdom from you I did put some oil in my HD-11EP that was moving slow and that did help. But it still slows down quite a bit once I drop the blade. Was wondering if you had any suggestions on where to start or check next. Some say pressure some say make sure your turning clutches aren’t slipping hopefully it’s not the drum in the heart of the transmission. I did put in universal tractor oil from O’Reilly‘s and then found out it was 30 wait not 10 wait I’m not sure how vital that is to these older tractors?

Any help would be appreciated or any person you think I should text or email that could be helpful I live in Southern California near San Diego. Thanks for your time Brett
West Logging View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote West Logging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 3:37am
more information could be useful to aid in diagnosis,
assume engine is developing sufficient power
does it drive and turn normally in 1st forward and reverse, same for 2nd forward and reverse.
what reading is on the transmission and clutch lube gauges
check the oil level in the transmission correctly (usually procedure is stamped on dip stick) .
failing the obvious it could any number of things from steering clutch slippage or trans clutch slippage, speed control issues.
if you are not mechanically familiar with these machines get someone to do a pressure check diagnosis on trans torque converter hydraulic components.
someone with an ep service manual should be able to help you with the specs for that.
West Logging View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote West Logging Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 3:42am
forgot to add most likely something as simple as too heavy oil, depending on how much you put in, drain and refill with atf or sae10 mono grade
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 7:12am
Is this tractor a recent purchase with problems cropping up, or do you have any further history, or symptoms? 

Don't mean to sound abrasive but it sounds as if you purchased something cheap with problems. That can get really expensive to repair without experience on your side. 
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 1:49pm
One other thing; was major changes to HD11EP halfway through their production run.
MAchines prior to 13367 use a twin disc torque converter. Later ones use a rockford torque converter.
Both have different test ports and pressures.
Either way torque converter drive shaft  should lock up stationary when machine is in gear and machine is not moving; ie brakes on. 
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Doughd16b View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doughd16b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 7:16pm
You are right Merv they did changed them but I don't know if you can always trust the numbers in the books because I have an 11ep sn 13204 and it has the Rockford converter also just seen a 16dp sn 9646 and according to Norms book they only went to 9619
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Basdas37 Basdas37 wrote:

Hi my name is Brett just thought I’d email you see if I can gain some wisdom from you I did put some oil in my HD-11EP that was moving slow and that did help. But it still slows down quite a bit once I drop the blade. Was wondering if you had any suggestions on where to start or check next. Some say pressure some say make sure your turning clutches aren’t slipping hopefully it’s not the drum in the heart of the transmission. I did put in universal tractor oil from O’Reilly‘s and then found out it was 30 wait not 10 wait I’m not sure how vital that is to these older tractors?

Any help would be appreciated or any person you think I should text or email that could be helpful I live in Southern California near San Diego. Thanks for your time Brett
    Where did you put this "30 weight oil" in on the tractor? Does it run at proper speed with blade up? Next, what do the trans/lube gauges read at? Next point, DON'T run it around any more until you know the fluid levels, and that you have no clogged filters. Loading/unloading an old machine while transporting can churn up all kinds of debris that was settled in the oil sumps. Agree with previous posters, that if you don't know how to test the pressures, you should find someone who does....it will be well worth the expense. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Basdas37 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basdas37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 12:39am
30w universal tractor fluid in trans. I know it’s 10w from factory.

Haven’t put guage on it yet.
Ram out of time today.

Here is video seems to me once blade loads up tractor really slows down!

What do you guys think look normal or to slow?

Speeds up big time once blade unloads
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 6:21am
If internal screens are choking makes no difference how many filters you put on it as those need cleaned as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic