This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11E starter motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11E starter motor
    Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 2:30pm
Hi
Is it possible to remove the starter motor without dropping the belly pan? One of the mounting bolts is completely hidden and there is not much space to work. Any shortcuts on pulling the starter?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 10:07pm
Yep, I`m sure I got them off without dropping the pan guard. As with truck starters, you need a range of different length 1/2" drive extentions, a universal or better still, swivel sockets. sometimes you find the hex head bolts on  the inside against the block have been replaced with reduced head (12 point) for more clearance
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 6:00am
Just remember to take the hidden one out FIRST. As Mactractor said, extensions can be your friend here.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 9:07am
oh yeah... getting that bolt back in is probably even more fun....

maccountry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:19pm
Hello , I am a complete novis at working on these "Beasts" but I was able to get my old starter off by my self and re-install the new one myself.Needed help doing the new wiring but the hard physical labor I did myself.
Get a couple of various length 1/2" drive extensions and play with them until you get a couple that give you room to rechet the attached "deep well" socket.Then do the bottom one first.If you drop it just cuss and figure you can buy a replacement fairly reasonably.If not you are better than I was.Once the bottom one is out rig up a harness that will carry the load of the starter and keep it from falling when the 2 top bolts come out.I made a harness out of doubled #10 bare electrical wire tied off on the hood.Then take out the top bolts and slowly pull (or pry) it forward until its free.Then lift it up and out.Assumes you already un-wired the old one first.
Putting the new one back is a bit more difficult but the harness should be a bit adjustable (up and down) just by twisting the #10 wire connections a bit.
The top 2 bolts go back in first.I then used electrical tape on the head of the bottom bolt and the socket so this "New" one wouldn't fall into the pan as well.
Worked for a "dummie" like me.
                  Mac McGrail   maccountry22640@yahoo.com
Mac McGrail
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:43am
Thanks MacCountry.. I appreciate the advice on that.

My helper showed up yesterday and we were able to jump the terminals on the solenoid after while holding the starter button... I got it to fire up and got it out of the woods.

It appears the starter turns with good power, but the solenoid is not sending juice to it after the solenoid engages.

Minnpar shows that the solenoid is part DELCO-REMY #1857074. I didn't find that anywhere online or even at the Delco site.

Does anyone know a part # for the HD11 E solenoid (tractor serial# 8878)?

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 11:01am
You better removed the front inspection cover from the solenoid sometime you just need to clean the 2 brass block and the big washer and he could be oké for long time
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 6:37pm
I'll give that a try.. Thanks Gem!
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 1:22pm
I finally got to this.. It was 10 minutes to remove, 10 to clean the solenoid contacts and 10 more to re-install.. Worked like a charm..
maccountry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 6:08pm
Thank you for your thoughts on my starter problem . I actually did exactly what you suggested except that since it was brand new I was only looking for possible "burn" marks but ther were none and no dirt . Put it back together and it has started fine about 50 times since.Don't know what caused the problem but the ghost is gone now . Working o0n removing the radiator now for a repair/rebuild which ever it looks like it needs. Got 7 more bolts to get out and it will be free. Hoping that none ( or at least not many ) break off in the removal effort. They are about 7" long and screw into threaded hubs at the back of the support structure which are impossible to soak in "Blaster" . Only got one out so far .
  Thanks again .  Mac McGrail    maccountry22640@yahoo.com 
Mac McGrail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic