This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11B RESTORATION PAINT/BODY SHOP IS OPEN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:36pm
So since Dave ask ,we're out of harms way. About 3-1/2 hours away. But I can tell a story. 2 years ago we responded to a wild fire for Cal Fire with our dozer. It started at the edge of lake Orville on the up stream side and burned 1000 acres into the Plumas National Forest. We reported to the Enterprise Boat ramp for staging, once there they decided that I would not start until morning shift. So if you look of the nose of the transport in this picture down the boat ramp you can see the brown dirt of the banks of the lake. I walked to the end of the pavement of the boat ramp. It would have been at least 2 MILES ! to the waters edge from the end of the boat ramp, probably 500' in elevation.
 So I know how you guys like to pick on these Californians, this is my take on it. The politicians and special interest groups that run this state have been so busy promoting the drought and GLOBAL WARMING that they convinced enough people that the lake could never fill again!! so they could save the maintenance money for there special pet projects (paybacks hell) Yes there are some real KNUCKLEHEADS!! running this state (we couldn't agree more, we're living it)
 photo spring steam fest lumpkin fire 111_zpswcsa0odx.jpg
So back to tractoring.It supposed to start raining tomorrow so I've been gathering parts out side as possible.Got this GARWOOD 151 front cable control unit removed from a donor HD16 today (hope it works) photo P2140006_zpsvyeuvleh.jpg
Got some loaner gauges out of an HD20. We're trying to use original gauges from the same time frame as the machine.
 photo P2140021_zpsn3r7ob6q.jpg
Had to go to the south 40 to get a cable sheave off a HD11 angle blade C frame to put on the straight blade we'll be using,it was previously hydraulic. photo P2140019_zpsubnzvyfe.jpg
So Davids been painting as much as possible due to weather. It was 72 degrees today. photo P2140009_zpsfyuo4ytv.jpg
Got 1 swing frame done today(can you smell it?) pretty!! hope to get the other one tomorrow before the rain begins photo P2140015_zpsybykgged.jpg
We'll have enough parts painted that we will be able to work inside for several days. photo P2140013_zpssryfttg4.jpg
That's where were at today.  Actually HD6 STEVE is in Orville, haven't heard from him for a while. He got clutch parts from us,then had some steering clutch problems he was working on. Maybe we might have to mount a rescue effort to save the HD6. (you know first things first)
Sponsored Links

Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:28am
She's coming along nicely Mel,  You blokes have a nice set up I like them heavy duty stands the track frames  are sitting on ! 

shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:57am
they make everything look so easy!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:54pm
Ok, Here's todays progress report. It rained!. Got the battery boxes and batteries on. All new cables made up (from "donor tractor" cables) added a disconnect switch which was not available in 1955. photo P2170006_zpspd30hduj.jpg
I'm ready for the gauges so we tried to fast track them today. David used the bead blaster to prep the dash gauge holder. photo P2170003_zpsf7jc3qmw.jpg
These were original style gauges from different tractors for this vintage. We desperately need to paint today photo P2170004_zpsz3apgkxs.jpg
David opted for just a few needed items today due to RAIN!!  photo P2170010_zpshmaucaih.jpg
We had to move the painting inside again.So once the paint is on we move it into our organic heat controlled paint both for curing. It's very technical and probably causes global warming (but it sure works good) photo P2170013_zpsumjw4q8v.jpg
Hoping to fire this puppy up by Sunday night (I'll keep you posted)
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 1:18am
It is looking sweeter all the time... Love the pictures...
 Did not see where you put the quick disconnect.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 2:24am
I wonder if Mel and the crew would notice if I snuck my 5G into their shop in place of that 11, or if they would just put it together for me. Lol Darrel
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:35am
Mel, I have enjoyed viewing your post - thank you for sharing great photos & text. The Aircraft paint remover looks to work good in combination with power washer. Wow - the 516 cleaned up nice.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:03pm
You got a good heat sourse there i got a couple of those heaters I put about 2.5 gallons of diesel and about 2.5 of used motor oil in mine we used them for years in the logging woods dad called them choofa heaters from the sounds they make
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I wonder if Mel and the crew would notice if I snuck my 5G into their shop in place of that 11, or if they would just put it together for me. Lol Darrel

Darrel...the big risk in doing this...because everything happens fast around Mel's yard?? It would make your heart drop if Mel posted pictures saying "a donor 5G just appeared'' and yeah...it's all in pieces and transplanted where needed Cry
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
and if they did re-do it for ya Darrell, it'd be to pretty to use! take yer big loader up there and gits that done!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 8:05pm
Yes Eric that could happen. And if Mel and his crew did re-do it, it for sure would be too pretty for what I have in mind to use it for. I made some fair progress on it today, so maybe things are looking up. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:11am
you mean you gots yer hands dirty this time? (poke,poke)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:03am
Originally posted by shameless (ne) shameless (ne) wrote:

you mean you gots yer hands dirty this time? (poke,poke)

my hands get dirtier before breakfast, than yours do all day long. Lol darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:59am
that's prolly true! lol
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:40am
JC, the disconnect switch got mounted in the battery box on the battery hold down bracket. Not to fancy but it will work. I actually removed it from a HD16 "donor" (one of the ones the state made the auction people cut a hole in the block) rather than make one. photo P2180002_zps6wjtyjqc.jpg
AC7060, Yes the aircraft paint remover worked good. One of the things we learned was in this cold weather if you used the hot pressure washer and got the steel as warm as possible before putting it on it worked best. The vendor we used also said in the summer to cover it with black plastic for a few minutes, that helped keep the moisture in it also.
Mike, We call these heaters "smudge pots" These all originated from the grape and pear growers around here. Originally a 5 gallon bucket with diesel in it,then the early pots that had no return pipe, then to be legal you had to have a return pipe like these. And then the price of diesel put them all out of business. (they use water for frost protection now). Yes the recipe for fuel could be a lot of things. Straight diesel burns the cleanest. If you put to much other stuff in there it seems to crud up sooner (drain oil, etc.) I'm sure it won't surprise any one to know that right now the best fuel recipe we have is "DONOR TRACTOR FUEL!!) It still burns pretty good after 30,40,50 years.
 photo P1210002_zpsuvwu15r1.jpg
Also I'm starting to think Eric might have a good point. Over the years our attitudes have changed about "donor tractors" I think at first we were going to save them all, (IRON DISEASE) Now when we make a move it's usually something that has the easiest parts to get to. So yes in a blink of the eye it could be a "donor" SO DARELL, PLEASE FILL THE FUEL TANK FIRST CAUSE WERE ALMOST OUT OF DONOR TRACTOR FUEL FOR THE SMUDGE POT!! photo P2180003_zps5cbrreo0.jpg
Had enough time yesterday with no rain to put the radiator on. Put the tarps back up. Expecting 2-4" of rain today through Tue. (raining now)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:03pm
Most people probably wouldn't even consider my best stuff good doner material. But that's what this broke bast....Feller is stuck with. Darrel
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 3:41pm
Hey Mel have you ever used the either starter set up on the dash? we have one on Dads old HD6 but have never found  what was used in there? 
Thanks steve

Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:30pm
Looks like your HD-20 was a military machine.  Has the military switch and looks like a mil-spec plate below the gauges.  My HD-7W was built for the military but the contract was canceled and it was repainted orange and was sold on the civilian market. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:50pm
Steve if I am looking at the same thing you are ether came in a capsule. The only ones I remember seeing have been in a picture on the net,maybe even here.

Uncle told me he first got it in pint can like brake fluid,put it in pump type oil can to give them a spray. But would evaporate out of the pump can. So the capsule was second way of delivery and they could be  injured and dry out as well.  The spray can we have today was much better so capsules where used for a very short time only.    
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
I think that the ether capsules were sometime called ether eggs. Darrel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:29pm
Lee, I know what you're talking about with the military switch. I'm pretty sure that these 20s were not military. I think that was the switch of the day, maybe left over from the military days? I'm going to go look at the spec plate again too.
 Steve, We've never used that dash setup either. I'm going to sign on with Ray. I remember the pint size cans of either. They were Chevron, and my father would take the air cleaner top of and dump 1/2 capfull from the either can into the air cleaner to start up. I remember using it more on the Detroits, the HD10, HD9G,not as much on the HD11 until it started getting tired. We're in relatively warm country so I'm sure those features were used in the colder parts of the country. The 516 HD11 had a history of hard starting until the upgraded to the direct injection 10000 engine around 1960.
HD11 owner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD11 owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:21am
Awesome jobClap
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:59pm
Most every HD 5 and 9  around here has the capsule system or at least parts of them. So my guess is AC put them on all of them at the factor for a few short years they made those models.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:06pm
I found a can of those rubber capsules not long ago of course they were dried up mush looked like a old brake fluid bottle. yea mel those heater will smoke with oil in them i took one to the fishing camp we fire it up to run the mosquitos off lol. its got a few pieces of looks like oak blocks in the tank in the logging woods the boss let us use those while we worked on the mcculloch and homelites chainsaws which was quite often forrestry didnt like us building fires in the woods and there was always diesel around
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:35am
Ok, update. We've still been fighting the rain. We covered and uncovered this swing frame 3 or 4 times before David could get the final coat of paint on before dark photo P2220005_zpsk0oh1ysq.jpg
BUT IT RUNS!! check the video to see the orange startup in it's new home. Swing frames could start going on today? The weather is supposed to be sunny today. It is 28 degrees right now with a high of 50. The hardnose hopefully will get sand blasted today for paint soon. Also working on the GARWOOD front cable unit to put on before the hardnose.

http://vid966.photobucket.com/albums/ae147/doowder1/HD11%20RESTORATION%20PAINT%20AND%20BODY/HD11%20ORANGE%20STARTUP1_zpsn5hk5psa.mp4

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
Sure sounds good
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

I think that the ether capsules were sometime called ether eggs. Darrel

The Lanova AC 45's had an ether setup.  According to that book the capsules were gelatine
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:52pm
The ether capsules came in different sizes for different size engines, from 2 cyl. to whatever.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
Ok, this past weekend we decided may be the first GARWOOD 151 unit we thought would be best looked pretty rough photo P2230001_zpssc1n68sn.jpg
So that prompted a look into DONOR tractor section 16 (as in the HD16 section) We pushed this up to staging for parts removal photo P2230002_zpslvlmfe4q.jpg
So between the two this is what it looks like now. photo P2260010_zps1ojaf20e.jpg
Had a good day putting big parts on, both swing frames in 3 hours. photo P2270012_zpsc2dobptr.jpg
This ones been painted for two weeks. photo P2270013_zps4xs2sdz6.jpg
The other side has been painted just the other day. photo P2270015_zpsnoixigdl.jpg
David was able to sandblast with the help of the weather. photo P2230004_zpsxt8huslw.jpg
This is the original cable hardnose from the tractor our father bought new in 1955. photo P2270016_zpsygsqokkp.jpg
We decided to put it on with just the primer and paint it in place. We still have to weld some brackets on it for the canopy. photo P2270022_zpsokubaybj.jpg
So this is where we are at dark tonight. Can you get the picture yet?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 6:50am
It's coming along nicely. When's your deadline for the logging show. ...? Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic