This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11B RESCUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11B RESCUE
    Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 3:55pm
Ok guys, thought I should post some pictures of yesterdays events at the Allis Chalmers playground. We're still mucking out 60 years of fill in our irrigation pond photo dec20201320024_zpsa9681be4.jpg
Normally this would all be under water in Dec. but right no N.Ca is having drought conditions photo dec2013027_zps136c8efc.jpg
My daughter came along with her new Christmas camera to do the honors photo dec2013031_zps51cd437f.jpg
So we had the normal planning discussion, safety meeting,what ifs, etc. (which of course turned into a you get in your tractor and I'll get in mine and push and see if you come out before there both stuck) photo dec20201320026_zps624a4068.jpg
 photo dec2013032_zps57541b1e.jpg
 photo dec2013034_zps12f0b63f.jpg
 photo dec2013040_zps4fb2e521.jpg

smoke showing and gravity on my side photo dec2013043_zpsa29a4a6a.jpg
 photo dec20201320044_zps8fbedf62.jpg

It worked out this time and we even pushed more dirt tell dark photo dec20201320048_zps3644e4c5.jpg
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 6:38pm
some people get to have ALL the fun! Thanks for posting
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:51pm
Very nice looking 11-B there Mel.  I think we might have glimpsed it in earlier photos- does it have the Roosa or Bosch pump?  Nice to see more photos from warmer California.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 10:03pm
Actually, I think the one we've glimpsed before has a winch on the back and a bad accessory drive bearing?  Looks like it's set up for fire line work or something?
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 12:51am
Great pics and story Mel, thanks for posting; cheers from kiwiland
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 7:30am
Yes, looks like fun!
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 12:21pm
To the Rescue - the way my luck would have been, 2 machines would have been mired into the muck.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 4:07pm
Good photos again Mel. What is the extra weight above the ripper on the series B 11 for?
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 6:35pm
I think that is a "jobox" tool box of some kind.  Nice the ways it's mounted, except you have to lift EVERYTHING up and down!!!  Tongue
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 6:39pm
Thank you for posting and thanks to the photographer!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 7:32pm
OK, I'll try to answer some questions. The ripper tractor has a Bosch pump and the winch tractor has a Roosa. We've always felt that the Bosch was more responsive than the Roosa, but no one can tell us why? (but I'm listening). Yes those are regular Job boxes, mostly for fireline work. Tools ,oil,spare lights, food,baleing wire,extra fire gear. And yes it's up and down to it, but it's ok when you're 3 or 4 miles away from somewhere that you can't get to from here. photo P1010073_zpsf1a0224b.jpg
These tractors can still be used for fire work, but we expect that it won't be long until it's enclosed cabs only photo P1010074_zps68dc4548.jpg
So we also have a 11B grapple dozer that has a Bosch (that's responsive) and the 11EP has a PSB pump photo P1010072_zps0cbc04f5.jpg
This picture is of me working fire line downhill towards the fire with air support (helicopter water drops) photo P1010051_zps054d83b7.jpg
Of course these are the only 2 AC dozers on the fire of about 15 dozers (and we take heat for that too, cause there antiques)Ironically we build more fire line in the adverse conditions than some of the new tractors photo P1010052_zpsb8eb4b87.jpg
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 7:41pm
That picture with the heli and the allis could be the best Allis picture I have seen all year! Thanks!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
ACcrazy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 7:51pm
Great pictures as always, Mel. Thanks for sharing.

When and where were the fire pics taken?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:44am
Great pictures- Thanks Mel.  I've always felt that the Bosch pump equipped engines seemed to pull better, but could be my imagination- hard to tell with the torque converter.  Those PE pumps were designed for engines 200 hp and up, so really more pump than is needed, technically, and I suspect cost was the reason why Allis changed to the Roosa.  The problem with the Bosch pump now is the cost of repair, and those RQV governors are known to explode. (then the engine runs away like a crazy thing)
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 1:15pm
Those are really good pics Mel; don,t be shy about adding more See your winch tractors got a W6E winch, was a few like that come to nz at the end of the production run, all previous ones had F50s. Whats the frame for, originally thought it was a ripper frame, but no has only single connecting eyes, or do you have custom rippers for it. yeah more pics if you like. Terrain is very similar to mine, just ours is a lot heavier clay and wetter. but still work on ridges like that.
Choice of a ripper or winch dozer is very handy as each have there place, have one of each myself, although mine are from the 'other' stable. My opinion of the canopys is you HAVE the best style, plenty of visibility, no glass to break or fog up. enclosed cabs can be a pita in my opinion. plus open cabs give you a sense of 'smell' for things that can go wrong. Biggest thing a bout tractors with or without cabs in that sort of extreme application is the man they've got in the SEAT. He IS the guy who knows what his horse can and cant do and wether he can do it safely. Enclosed cab wont save a guy who cant think or see in front of him what 'might' happen.
Don't be shy about telling us what sort of competition you work against in the fireline work and how all the crawlers perform against each other. Like the others am enjoying this post and your excellent photos.
Thanks and cheers from new Zealand. merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 11:21am
Ok Merv, you're making me go to the archives. Like literally off the wall with these 2 photos dated 6-21-1988. The holes on the back of the winch tractor are for the Esco grapples, Model 88/ 100'', straddle mount (so the winch could be used too). This tractor was delivered new from the dealer like this. The owners at that time bought 2 of them equipped this way for logging in the redwoods (very, very rough adverse conditions). I'm sure it wouldn't surprise any one to know that the Caterpillar D6Cs finals and back end could not take the abuse that the 11s could take. We bought this tractor when it was about ten years old (totally) worn out logged for a couple of seasons. This was one of our first restoration attempts.We dissmantled a HD11B ag tractor and used the engine,swing frames, undercarriage,hood other misc. and sandblasted most of it
 photo PB160008_zps20cd3de0.jpg
So if any one can make recomendations for scanning photos,slides etc. I going into the archives of ours before the 1990's photo PB160007_zps3290c2e2.jpg
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 12:43pm
Beautiful, Mel.  That right there is why I'm on this forum.  Thanks...
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 5:05pm
great pics Mel.
Yes those grapples would be the hardest application on any crawler final drive. All the weight is on the finals when dragging a log. Never liked them or integral mounted archs on winches. prefered towed archs or just dragging with the winch for logging. No caterpillar oval track final drive likes them as will cause deadshafts to bend.
My opinion is just the way I think; 'production' orientated people may think differently about that and other things, but strangely those types are never ever around when things break.
If you have to fix it yourself and/or pay for it yourself sort of focus your line of thought differently.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 12:33pm
Could be an application where the elevated sprocket makes sense...
Just curious- what did that tractor go for in the mid eighties?  Was that your first series B?  My uncle bought an old D6B in 1987 for $16000, and he could probably get that for it today, or close.  It's tough to get much more than 20K for an 11-B here, even if it is really nice, whereas a D6C may well bring 30K.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 3:38pm
I know of an 11B near to our old farm, guy still has it for sale some twelve years now, asking $18500 for all those years, has a 14C asking $26,500. What did these cost new?
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:07pm
Know a guy down your way that demoed a brand new 11-B in 1975.  Dealer (Cooke?) wanted $65000.  He offered $50000, but no dice.  Tractor sat at his place all winter before it sold.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 11:27am
Lazyts, Mervs right on with all his comments about the grapples and the production oriented. We've always had to do all our own repairs though. Our first 11series B was the ripper tractor in all the photos. We bought it 1983 in Langley, B.C. for appox. $14000.00 (we think) It had an angle blade and nothing on the back, did not have any other hydraulic valve spools either. We originally put a direct drive winch on it (cause we could'nt afford a power shift one).But the people we sold the old 11 to help finance this one wanted a winch so we took it off and got a F-50 carco and a straight blade and later when we backed off the logging got the rippers. The grapple 11B we got in 1985 for $25,000.00 (we think)It was totally worn out but we ran it for a season anyway. I'm not sure what they cost new, but I think it was in that 50k range. I do know that in 1956 the day this one was unloaded it was $21,500.00
 photo 11Mail0019_zps5a389c69.jpg
We have found some photos of the 11B when it came in from B.C., but it's going to take some time to get them into the digital format. Also are father in this pic took this tractor to B.C. to log in 1961-62 before retiring
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 3:10pm
Hi Lazyts, yeah Cooke was a dealer based of Columbia MO, went out of business a few years ago as the owner passed away with no one ready to take on the business. Did not realize they were a AC dealer in the day, they were Case when they closed doors.

Took 24 hours to shut down, employees just locked out then less than a year and all inventory and facility gone. The guys at Williamsburg MO: Kwik parts are the remains of those guys.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:20pm
Yeah DMiller, I think he dealt over at Chilicothe- they may have had several locations?  Here is a picture of my first HD11- bought as a restoration project, ended up being a donor.  I took it apart, then got discouraged...
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 5:23pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 8:24am
Shame they cannot all be saved but you have done great work on the ones I have seen here.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:24am
Ok....thought I would post this up for Codger...about HD11Bs....WOW! it's 7 years old
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:29am
Ok.....Now that I did that....I see Codger has disappeared off the face  of the Forum....by his editing?  What did I miss?   Oh well I guess we can reminisce about this post. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:06pm
Mel we all been wondering about you for a while. Thank you for bring up your great photos.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:14am
Mel

Some of the higher end printer/scanners used to have an adapter that allowed you to scan 35 mm slides

Our Canon MG 8510 does, but it is ancient history in the line-up now
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic