This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-11 REPOWER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-11 REPOWER
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 5:37pm
Here is the HD11 that I repowered with an 6V71 Detroit

and 5 videos too, before and after paint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnQiFRQ1s38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JLT5uS7Xs&feature=related

Sponsored Links

Danny NM View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny NM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 9:10pm
Nice job Tad  sweet  old dog gotta new bark.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 10:44pm
Fine piece of work.  Congratulations!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
kip in cny View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kip in cny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:37pm
Nice  work.  looks great
160 CA 920diesel 5020 HD-3
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:40am
BEAUTIFUL... and the Detroit... music to my ears.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:35am
Probably a little loud. You should run those pipes through a turbo. Nice job and a good upgrade on power over the 4-71 that machine had as the HD-9.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:08pm
It's not a little loud, it's a lotta loud, great to upset the neighbors with. I don't think turbos will ever be necessary, it will spin it's tracks in 6th @1200 rpms. I have considered under the hood mufflers but have not done it yet for the simple reason that when summer comes around spark arrestors are mandated in this State and that quiets it down considerably. Thanks for the input guys: Tad
chllngr528 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chllngr528 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:17pm
nice work
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:06pm
Beautiful! Times Ten X10
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:42pm
I figured I would give everybody a chuckle, NOW DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. This is a working tractor so these things happen but no harm no foul except my pride, so now the whole world will know. Tad

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 1:20am
I think someone might have to buy a box or 2 of beer.
Great work tho tad and i love the noise.
Merv
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 4:28pm
YEP, looks like a beer buyin offense to me. I see the pin on the deck that you pulled from the drawbar, just hoping maybe you could pull out without the embarrassment. I knew that power of being able to spin the tracks in 6th gear was going to get you in trouble. At that speed you could dig a hole before you could flip the clutch out. (yep, it took about that long) We're all waiting for you to post pictures of your rescue mission hoping it includes orange paint (maybe your HD7). Truth be known it's happened to all of us. Heck this could start a new forum section for (HOW BAD MY TRACTORS STUCK) or something like that. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 6:14pm
It is when the mud is level with the top of the track both front and back that the real problem comes in , seems I have had both my HD4 and HD5G in those situations. Last time I got the 5G in a ravine with frozen dirt on sides I had to wait a month for the ground to thaw and dry to get machine out. Either that or pay about $1000 for someone else to do it ..
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 7:32pm
I can honestly say that I did it to myself, I had been spinning through the last few rounds with the disk closed up, don't touch a thing, let it go it's own way till you are out the other side and Whoopeee made it again, not this time ooppps. The funny thing, this is why I ended up with this tractor in the first place, almost thirty years ago, the neighbor fell into a spring with the blade on it, they had to get a D8 to pull it out, there was water over the deck, well, after it was out, they fired it up and took off without draining water from anything and made it about 200 yards and bye-bye bottom end of the engine. Now this tractor only had about 100 hours on new engine, brakes, steering clutches, rails, rollers, sprockets, front idlers, and carrier rollers and they just parked it not wanting to spend any more money for about 17 years. I bought it for cheap thinking an engine would come along one day and it did, about 11 years later, just about everything on the old AC/Buda Lanovo is pretty much obsolete and it sat open for all those years, so it was just scrap, but if anybody needs anything I still have it. Now it is called "THE POWERNOSHIFT" because it doesn't know "stop" until the unobliging mudhole. The extraction?? well I tried several different things to get it out, chaining iron and things to the tracks, it was pretty well on it's way out and I just ran out of try, I am not 25 years old anymore, it was so close to being on the edge that I am sure that the HD7 would have finished the job, but the neighbor was right across the fence and offered his Challenger 65, so it was allocated to do the deed and it did it effortlessly, unfortunately there are no pictures to document the event. At any rate, things will dry out,  and I will extract my revenge on that mudhole next time over the ground.

Who has more fun than people on tractors???   Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 15 Apr 2011 at 7:36pm
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
You need to send your pictures into the Speed TV Show called Gears. I watch that show for a small part at the end they call What Are You Working On?
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:01pm
Great repower job, the AC dealer in Woodland, CA did a re-poweer using Cummins to get around the EPA regs in CA... They did it in conjunction with Cal Poly...  The one I saw they had done was a really nice installation, I think they used the Industrial version of the 5.9L engine........
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 1:51pm
ac-sd   Many, many years ago at the Tulare Ag Show, I believe it was Cummins West or a dealer had an HD-11 B Series re-powered with a 8.3 Cummins, the bigger brother to the 5.9, they look almost identical, I wonder if this is the same tractor or is the one you are referring to a recent re-power?? 

Who has more fun than people on tractors??  Tad
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:03pm
More than likely it is......  They were/are a great dealership to deal with....Dennis, the parts man has been there forever..... Thay are now a Cat dealership after Cat acquired AGCO......Keeping track of who really owns what is a full time job for us tractor lovers.....
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:07pm
Tad, I'm in the San Diego area (just for grins), I noticed your CA location..... I have some AC parts for HD-9/11, HD-5/6, and am probably going to part out a clean old HD-15.......
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:41pm
ac_sd  I am quite a ways North of you, about half way between LA/SF in the Coast Range. I am possibly looking for a narrow HD6 or 5 for my vineyard, my HD7 is to wide, I don't really want to go to a 6U D4. A friend has a narrow HD6 but won't let it go, I am using a 500 IH that I have had for years that I absolutely loath, I have the brakes and steering clutches out again for the third time and I am thinking of parting out the whole tractor and replacing it with something else. The HD9 and 11 were not all that identical for parts interchange, the double reduction finals in the 11 changed a bunch in the drive train between the two. The HD 15, there was a fellow in California Valley that had 2  15's that he re-powered with 8V71s I have been trying to find out where they went, that might be a great thing to have.

Who has more fun than people on tractors?? Tad
ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:28am
You're right about the finals and other changes re the HD-9/11, the u/c is  pretty much the same on the "11" up until s/n #10,000....
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 10:20pm
If those pics were black & white , you would think they were taken in the fifty's right off the show room floor. great work!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 12:12pm
Go plow a tile into that mud hole and find the spring thats feeding it and that will fix her for ever...
  Dang I hate hearing the words of "parting it out"
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 3:04pm
Thanks for the compliment woodbutch, I just need to find an original HD11 with the decals still intact so that I can have new ones made and the proper placement.
JC(WI) The mudhole is not a problem on normal rain years, this year was not normal by any means. The story I love to tell, In the good book, The story of Noah, Genesis 7, It was made to rain for 40 days and 40 nights and a great flood was brought forth upon the Earth, now Shandon CA. got almost an inch of rain out of that one (insert smiley face here) (it doesn't rain here much) everybody else must be floating away, because it rained a bunch here this year.
 Parting out the 500, I am one who will go to great lengths to try and make something work and boy am I tired of this little #$#%$^^%$ International. I have been in and out of it time after time and I am done, the steering and braking on this tractor is so bad and unpredictable, that trying to use it in my vineyard for the last 10 years and general use 10 years before that, is so infuriating, that when I get off of it I literally throw rocks at it. The solid frame, poor gear ratio spacing are tolerable but the steering and braking, one time it won't do either, the next time it will grab and put a tool into a plant, but it does have a great engine, a 3 cylinder Nuess, very dependable. I could write 2 pages why I loath this tractor, I probably won't part it out but if somebody came by and made a decent offer the way it sits it's down the road.

Who has more fun than people on tractors (unless it is an IH 500E)  Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 29 Apr 2011 at 3:10pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:24pm
Your not the only one with IH 500 problems , they sold it with the mechanics home number written on the dash .. Friend had one he bought about same time i bought my HD5G  he got rid of it a year later and I still have the HD5
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 11:21am
Just an update, the Tisco paint that I used faded severely in the California sun, most paints can't stand up to the intensity and it has been a few years since it was new, the good news there is a product that I tried called "Nu-Finish" it comes in a bright orange bottle (color appropriate) and it actually brought an almost Persian Orange faded almost to a yellow back to life without compound or buffer a bit of elbow grease and almost new, not perfect but much better. I finally mounted lights in the front, got tired of looking at the black holes. The big question, who might have and 11S with the original decals so that I might duplicate them, it is high time this tractor got branded with some decals. Some of the early 11's had the Diamond "AC" and HD11 on what looks like raised plates mounted on the side lower,center hardnose , some had the Diamond "AC" on a decal in the top middle front of the hardnose, some had the HD11 Diesel in smaller block letters on the battery box, some had the black and white oval HD11 and some had big block letters I am not sure what is right combination, there must be serial number or year model breaks. I would appreciate any input.
To the moderator, I still cannot post from my home computer, I can log on, change my password, change my profile but I try to post it says that I am denied access. It has been several years and I became so frustrated that I just quit visiting the site. I have to use the computer at work if I want to post. It must be something in my computer or the satellite link, I have shut off all firewalls and protection but nothing that I have tried has worked.    Tad
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 10:08pm
Good to hear from you again Tad. Been so long, I was worried you had disappeared in one of those bog holes on the farm.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 9:30am
Earliest HD11s had "HD11 Diesel" in small letters on battery box.  "Football" decal started in late 50's before the yellow paint era on construction equipment.  A-C diamond disappeared in mid 60's, a couple of years before the new triangle logo.  I'd say the football decals would look right on that tractor, like it was before the paint job.  You can get those at from www.quipcal.com, and probably other places as well.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 11:38am
Hi Guys, still breathing, no more mud bogs or need for a snorkel to worry about, we are in the worst drought on record here in California, we just got rain this week, the first measurable rain of the season, that should have started in October, very,very,very dry, I didn't even plant this year. The State is in a panic, wells are going dry, so drilling more deeper, public is in an uproar, The Snail Darter is safe, San Francisco has plenty of water, Los Angles has plenty of water,golf courses are green, vineyards are green, yards are green, and swimming pools are full in the middle of the worst drought in the recorded history of California, and Governor Moonbeam will be re-elected for his fourth term, but all the major reservoirs are drying up, the San Joaquin valley is a dust bowl in the making and our fearless leader is more worried about the "Illegal migrant farm worker" than the farmer, go figure, The lunatics are definitely in charge of the asylum in this State.
Back to the 11, this tractor was originally yellow so all the decals are of later vintage. I am not sure, but I think the serial number is 5000+, no oil clutch or deck, I think that is around a 1958 model, I don't know what year they actually began production, I thought the last year for the HD9 was "56". At any rate I appreciate the input. Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 02 Apr 2014 at 11:41am
Andrew_D View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 7:12pm
I have an HD11S for a parts donor. I'll try to remember to get pics of any decals for you tomorrow.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_D - 03 Apr 2014 at 5:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic