Unofficial Allis Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-10 transmission fluid recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkmafia1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-10 transmission fluid recommendations?
    Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 12:18am
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what transmission fluid type they have used in their machines. 2 HD-10 manuals I have found say use SAE 90 or SAE 140. Then I found another manual that says use SAE 30 or 50 motor oil. I know I have to be picky about oil type due to the neoprene bushings and brass/copper parts used. 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:41pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:57pm
Both SAE 50 engine oil, and SAE90W gear lube have the same viscosity and can be used in the gearbox and finals if a manual transmission. However with SAE90W I would only use an oil meeting the GL-4 specification. I would not use GL-5 in older units. When GL-5 first came out it was very hard on brass and soft metals due to chemical composition. I've been told this has been rectified, but GL-4 was always safe and remains safe for use in older gearboxes using brass and bronze bushings/bearings/syncronizers, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic