This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 9 Rescue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ACPhil View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 9 Rescue
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 7:58pm
    Early at work, this past week, my cell phone rang.  Now I don't use my cell phone a whole lot and usually don't get a lot of calls, especially in the morning - unless it's an emergency at home!!  The gent at the other of the phone was a very good friend of my late brother.  This fellow and his son run a very large truck parts recycling yard here in New Jersey.
    He said," I know you lilke old AC crawlers."  " I've got an old AC dozer here but the blade doesn't go up."  "Stop over after work and take a look at it."  Now this wasn't a hydraulic problem, and I knew what kind of machine he had.
    I drove down to his yard after work and sure enough, the machine is an AC HD 9 Dozer with a Baker inside push arm blade.  The blade on these machines is only as wide at the tracks and the blade pushes off the main frame of the machine.  There are two vertically mounted hydraulic cylinders that are mounted in the middle of the machine.  The rams raise up the whole machine along with the blade.
    It has a running GM 4-71 diesel engine. Undercarriage is not bad:  sprockets and idlers are good, rollers not bad, but the rails and pads are worn down.  The machine SN is HD9B 4097 which makes it a 1954.  It has a metal canopy over the operator.  To me what was really
amazing was the fuel tank had no dents and the battery boxes looked in pretty good shape.
    When I went back into his office we talked a little more.  He said, "you must know some AC collectors that would want this machine".  I just shook my head and said most of the old iron collectors have made their last trip to the wreckin' yard in the sky.
    I told him, "please don't cut this machine up, it's a very rare machine".  Only about 5900 AC HD 9's were built in their 5 year run, and I'm sure there were very,very few with this strange Baker blade set-up.
    One thing about this machine, and even stated in AC dozer ads of that era. is that the machine is less that 8' wide and thus doesn't need a special permit to move it.
    I sure hope someone out there will rescue this machine.  Call John O'Connell Sr. at A&A truck parts at 732-780-4962.
    Some other old iron they have:  A 1970's Divco dual wheel milk truck, a Cat HT 4 track loader and a Cat 922 loader with a gas engine for power.  Give John a call!!

Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:43am
I would snarf it up in a heartbeat, if the freight to get it to my house wouldn't be such a killer. Thanks for doing all you can to save it. Darrel
chumduffy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chumduffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 8:56am
AC Phil, I called A&A yesterday at about 8:30 am And John SR. told me that they had already had cut this machine up!! Very sad! I would have paid a reasonable price for that machine, certainly more than scrap price. Thank you for trying to save this machine by bringing it to our attention. Chum..
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 10:49am
Chum, I had the, "it's gone, got cut up."  when I called tooCry
  Evidently it was cut up after Phill walked out the gate.... and before he even posted it here.Angry
  That would have been a very collectable old crawler.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic