This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd 7g

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acjwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd 7g
    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:01pm
  I am looking at this crawler loader.  Real nice later model.  Are these good machines or problems?  Power shift transmission.  Tracks in good shape.  Has not had much use for several years.  I am planning on clearing some land, small trees and brush, and misc work around the farm.  I know a dozer would be better but this is a lot cheaper and I have not been able to find a dozer I like yet.     Thanks

Sponsored Links

fbbeale View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fbbeale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
I recently bought a 7G-B to do exactly the same things that you are wanting to do.  The 7G and the 7G-B are very similar different engines, and total foot steer vs hand clutches are the major difference.  I probably paid more for mine than what it was worth, 5k, but I rationalized that renting a dozer for a month would be about the same cost.  I am now two months in so I figure I am ahead of the game at this point, and if something major happens, parting out and scrapping will soften the blow!!

Except for one bad roller, the undercarriage on mine doesn't have much wear.  So far I have been very pleased with it .  I have learned a lot from reading dmiller's posts, he is a wealth of information.  Parts are probably this biggest issue for the long haul.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:09am
Large hard parts are an issue as these machines reach that age of destruction. Near to 50 years old, many of the derelicts have already been sent to China in previous high dollar scrap runs. Currently can only get around $80/t for scrap here if prepared can get close to $100 so machine is only worth 800-1400 junked. Some scrappers that part them out will give a little more.

Can look up my old posts as I have been at mine for close to eight years now, has been a steady job. Mine is a straight 7G, a G-B is a step ahead where engine runs higher rpm, has a little better power and pedal steer. Mine is a handful with hand and foot steer. Transmissions, finals, rails all the same. UC same except for rear sprockets(Solid on G-B with segments) and some had solid idlers. Hydraulics function similarly but with again combined controls instead of multi-lever. Brakes with Power Assist on mine were discontinued with the G-B and work more smoothly.

Only concern on the G-B is the Fiat/Iveco engine, a little temperamental and tender. A similar size case/cummins would be a alternate if goes south, mt own has the Buda Allis 344 four cylinder and also engine parts problematic.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:56am
Need to add, check the rails for wear. Mine had great looking bushings and sprockets, were at end of life Internally on pins/bushings and rolled off like rubber bands. 7.0 pitch rails are NLA and seldom found decent used, rollers are pretty much NLA. on rail measure pick a pin and mark it from one side or the other on the pin go to the fifth pin from it and at that same side measure, divide by four. If anywhere near to 7.120 are done internally.

I was changing a roller here but this is what mean.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic