This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 5 loader worth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 5 loader worth
    Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 3:35pm
Wondering what folks here feel an running, operating hd5 shovel is worth? Tracks look o.k., starter rebuilt, new batts, needs the usual cleaning, cosmetic fixes, and paint of course. I would use this maybe 10-20 hours a year, push a little bush, some land scapeing, etc. Responses appreciated, thanks, Trev.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 3:41pm
Early or late unit ?
How good track and sprockets are is the big part - rest is rebuildable if needed .
Seen them for scrap weight (12,000 pounds +) to a price of over $8,000. 
I sold 3 units over the years for around $2500 with good 80% track and other undercarriage . 
 The present unit i still use I figure is worth $5000 so will be keeping it for a while yet. I bought it in 1973 for $3000. 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Sep 2013 at 3:43pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 12:47am
Trev you've got a good eye for telling the difference between a 'possible trouble maker of a machine' and a 'most likely OK runner' and for what you're describing I think anything up to $5000 is OK if it's ready to do a good day's work. Often I think our US friends have the advantage of being able to pick them up cheaper than we can. Let us know if you buy it and post a picture or two...thanks!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:42am
I know where there is a brand new set of tracks still in the crate...Try and get the guy to sell to me though...He doesnt even have an HD5...or any Allis cat...I think $5K for this unit would be plenty. There is an HD11 shovel for sale for about the same money, its a lot newer and in pretty good shape...hmmm, Trev.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:55am
5 would be on upper end of value - unless machine is above average and a good history of repairs is known.
 It is a better machine than many other makes in those years they were made and simple to do repairs on - yet the fact there are not tracks and undercarrage parts around now makes it harder to justify a lot in costs. 
 Then my FD 5 also has a parts problem with undercarrage availability as it's hard to find also.  
 It needs at least 2 counter weights on rear to keep machine balanced when using the loader - Or you will be doing a lot of track work and front idler repair. 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 11 Sep 2013 at 11:57am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 3:01pm
The HD 11 is a better investment for sure, even if you consider scrap metal value...LOL. You'll accomplish so much more in the same time and power shift is awesome (I assume it has powershift if it's a lot newer). However, parts and service will be a lot more money as well as fuel to run it.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 11:12am
I gave $400 for mine two years ago, but it's a little tough and the steering clutches are both stuck. Runs good though. Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 12:29pm
If needed I have a stack of used fiber steering clutch parts - can let go at a fair price , not many of the steel plates but bunch of good fibers . 
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:53am
The local demand for the machine effects the price. Moving and repairing heavy equipment is expensive and you never get your money back when you sell. I'm trying to sell my good running, good looking HD6G. I got 15 bids on eBay. Top bid was $2700. I had a reserve of $4500 so for now it is still mine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic