This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD 41 at the state fair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD 41 at the state fair
    Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 9:53pm
Does anyone remember the first year they displayed the HD 41 at the Illinois state fair? I don't know when that was or how young/old I was. I was just a kid. I don't know that it was in production yet but what sticks in my mind was there was B1 or B10 garden tractor on it's hood. It had a stairway up one side and down the other through the operators station. It had 2 6 cyl engines side by side and sure they were 2 stroke GM's. Am I crazy on this engine configuration? I distinctly remember my dad and uncle commenting on the engine thing. Could have easily used an oilfield twin configuration to power it. Anyone???
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 2:22am
Might have been a pre-production/prototype ??   I always thought HD-41's had the KT or KTA Cummins engines ??
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 7:06am
In Norms book, one of the very early prototypes had 2-844 AC engines side by side.  I have serious doubts about any detroit engines as AC moved away from them in 53' when GM bought Euclid.  Pretty sure the dual AC engine prototype didnt last long in testing,  this was 59' ?  IIRC  but the final 41 didnt come out till 72?  There was also a gas turbine prototype.  Final version had 1710 v12 cummins.  HD31 and later fd40 and 30 used KTA 1150

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 8:48am
Okay thanks. The twin engine thing was what I remember as unusual.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 8:58am
the twin engine was a prototype as mentioned.. Probably at the Fair about 1968-69.. Went into production withe the Cummins V12- 1710 at 524 HP...

I remember going to the Illinois Fair in the late 1970s ( was out of state before that) and  ALLIS had a BID DISPLAY every year... They use to compete against CAT ( Also built in Illinois) for Floor Space... There were 3-4 dozers, scrapers, wheel loaders, and others for EACH company... YEA, steps up to the cabs and Thousands got to go thru the equipment on display.......... It was a real competition and Free Advertising back then.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 9:11am
a little off topic.......... but a good read..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2023 at 10:25am
Steve, I see you worked there in 1976? We may have passed each other but no way to know this long ago. I was there in April through June, 1976, and returned in September though the end of the year but only worked either outside in the south yard, or staging area(s) for completed tractors. Occasionally, I would help unload steel supplies coming in with a second forklift. Too young, (16) so limited where I could participate, but did get to do a lot more than cut grass, empty trash cans and such as the job description through the industrial arts programs allowed.....
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic