This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd 20 needing a blower and shaft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd 20 needing a blower and shaft
    Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 4:01pm
Hd 20 help New to being able to use this site it has the 6 110 Detroit I'm in dire need of a blower & drive shaft
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
If the splines sheared check your drive flange on the gear train as well.  These engines are fairly common and should be all over the US. 
Brent.eggers View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 8:44pm
The gear in the engine that drives the blower and splines are good in fact it's a shame that the shaft had to break because it's splines are very good. I have called all over I live in Kansas and I'm not really finding any six 110 engines.   There is a guy in Nebraska That claims he has four but he never goes out and looks at them or tells me any prices I have called everyone even I think it's www.Williams .com and several other Detroit engine parts selling places. No luck . There's a guy Las Vegas that has a whole engine for 3500 bucks but won't sell just parts I have been on Google for like 2 weeks trying to find out if anyone has these engines. I have probably called 50 people with other connections   And no luck. The six 110 is bigger than I 671 I wonder if the blower off of a 671 would actually work they seem to be the same size   Of course I haven't torn into one and see if they pump more volume. I do know the shaft us longer on the six 110 versus the 671. I'm wondering if anyone knows where a HD 20 might be setting that might have a good blower and shaft on it that's junk. They use the six 110s in my research in Jen sets, some sort a train stuff, euclid's, marine , and one guy said to pull airplanes around on ships. I have talked to many old timers that know exactly what is six 110 is. But nobody knows where any are. They were made like from 1945 to 53 or something. The 671 Was Way Way way more common. I'm hoping someone on Hear can help locate one. I'm in Allis guru I have several Allis tractors Ect this old girl has till blade and hydraulic lift and 65 or 70% undercarriage   I saved it from the Scrap I have a parts machine but It has been tras planted to a 671 in it. Any help from you guys would be a blessing.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 9:06pm
6-110's were used in oil fields.Neighbor had one on a pump for his rig.Can't believe you can't buy new from DDA
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 10:31am
I googled dda Detriot diesel Allison I will call tomarrow. Somehow their was a different site & they had loads of boats I will call them as well. I just wish I could call someone & they have what I need but I'm still not shure 6 110 is rare as Hins teeth from what I have found
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:35am

The Detroit Diesel Series 110 is a two-stroke cycle Diesel engine series, available in six-cylinder inline configuration (in keeping with the standard Detroit Diesel practice at the time, engines were referred to using a concatenation of the number of cylinders and the displacement, so this was a model 6-110). It was introduced as the second mass-market product of the Detroit Diesel Engine Division of General Motors in 1945.

The 6-110 series engines utilize uniflow scavenging, where a blower mounted to the exterior of the engine provides intake air through cored passages in the engine block and ports in the cylinder walls at slightly greater than atmospheric pressure. The engine exhausts through push-rod operated poppet valves in the cylinder head, with either two or four valves per cylinder. Unit fuel injection is employed, one injector per cylinder, with no high fuel pressure outside of the injector body. The injectors are cycled from the same camshaft responsible for opening the exhaust valves.

As a two stroke cycle Diesel engine cannot naturally aspirate, or draw in its own intake air, the blower is necessary to provide air in an amount sufficient both for scavenging of exhaust gasses from the cylinder and to support combustion. Initial versions of the 6-110 engine used a centrifugal-type supercharger. This was very practical for fixed-speed applications such as marine or generator service, but proved a failure in automotive applications. "The engine was developed on the dyno and was never operated above rated RPM. The first application was in Euclid mining trucks, where the driver's income depends on how fast he drives the empty truck back down into the pit. The centrifugal blower ran about 10 times engine speed. Exceeding that RPM was fatal, and in a truck a single missed downshift could mean a failed engine."[1] For that reason a Roots type blower was made available as an option after about 1952. Later high performance versions were available with turbochargers.

The initial Series 71 engines from Detroit Diesel were produced in 1-, 2-, 3-, 4- and 6-cylinder versions. The most powerful version, the 6-71, displaced 426 cubic inches and produced 170 hp (127 kW) at 1800 rpm. While these engines with their low cost and relatively light weight were highly successful, there was also great demand for higher horsepower, especially for non-highway applications such as power generation and construction equipment.

Since inline engines of more than 6 cylinders tend to have substantial technical problems, and since GM was not to perfect V-block engine technology for another decade, they took two divergent approaches to achieving higher horsepower. One was to couple together multiple 6-71 engines in twin (side-by-side), tandem (fore-and-aft) and the incredible Quad (four 6-71s all driving a single shaft). While these did produce high horsepower and even added some redundancy, they were mechanically complex and relatively expensive.

The alternative approach was to design a new engine and increase the displacement from the existing 71 cubic inches to 110 cubic inches, or roughly a 50% increase. This resulted in the model 6-110, with 660 cubic inches total displacement, that produced a continuous rating of 275 hp (205 kW) at 1800 rpm. While the basic engine components (block, crankshaft, pistons, etc.) were all new, many of the additional components (injectors, governors, accessories, marine gears) were simply shared with the Series 71 engines. Since the 6-110 was designed from the outset for heavy-duty high-horsepower applications, it was never produced in a four-cylinder version (that would have displaced 440 cubic inches, very close to the 426 ci displaced by the 6-71).

The introduction of the V-71 series in 1957 effectively doomed the 6-110, as both the 8-71 (568 cubic inch displacement) and 12-71 (852 cubic inch displacement) offered higher horsepower in a more compact form factor. However the high torque and great reliability of the 6-110 was still valued for heavy-duty applications.

The Series 110 was last produced in 1965, after which the manufacturing rights were purchased by the W. W. Williams Distribution Company, which continues to provide parts for these engines.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 1:54pm
That's a nice bit of info Coke. I learned a tad more than I had already nown about them. I have thought about a 671 or a v8 transplant I have no idea what all couplings I would ever to get other engines hooked to the tork / clutch. Drive. Honestly I'd like to stay stock. I'm shure from experience put much more engine in it & then I would run cooling probs & power train. That sound dramatic to me like I say the parts hd 20 has a 6-71   But has different mounts & hydraulic pump is hooked up differantly I did start the 6-71 the other day tho had to losenn the ol rack up.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 2:14pm
Not sure exactly what all you need. We do have 2 HD 20 carcasses that have blowers on them. Not sure if they would even be worth the effort as long as they've been sitting. If you can't find anything we could get into one of these to see what it looks like.  photo PA300001 2_zpsnh4cleqd.jpg
 photo PA300002_zpsiwy8ff9u.jpg
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 4:56pm
Wow you mad my day I can almost promise you I could get one to work.   Give me a call my names Brent 620 7782905
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 8:19pm
brent there was an HD20 for sale about a year ago near the joplin area.  Are you the one who got it?
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 8:51pm
No a guy that was a real hillbilly from Arkansas moved up hear. He had brough these up from his homeland. Then he moved from parsons to Coffeyville Any ways I bought the 80 acres from him a year ago. He had used the dozer in the last 6 months. I buy every Allis I own broken down it seems. He was going to hauler to the scrap soi shelled out the cash. I'm an Ac guru thru & through my other biggest. Pride is a   D 21 series 2saved her from scrap $1500 got that tractor. I bail hay with it now I'm 28 & have to own any Allis especially if it's diesel. I kinda got side tracked their. I just love old Stuff & I get a Kik out of making people that think I can't make some old iron work & run again.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 10:46am
Ok, I visited whit Brent and he forwarded some pictures that I could post up for him, yes his blower has a problem. photo IMG_0042_zpspkqupbcn.jpg
 photo IMG_0044_zpsjh2mvpia.jpg
He's going to keep looking around. We'll try to look into one of our blowers maybe next week. This tractor could be a real nice specimen if he can get it going again. photo IMG_0048_zps78nuytyj.jpg
I can't tell if the hydraulics are one of the original after market manufacturers or not as in Garwood or Carco, but it looks like it worked. photo IMG_0049_zpsnhoqn4p8.jpg
He also has this parts tractor of sorts. photo IMG_0057_zpsibywhzc9.jpg
iIt was a pusher tractor it appears. It's an HD 20 also. photo IMG_0059_zpsvwkro7px.jpg
But it does appear that some one returned it to a 671 engine. photo IMG_0060_zpsq6r6uzsg.jpg
I'm sure Brent can answer questions or ask with these pictures now.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 9:11pm
Thanks Ac mel
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 9:52pm
my uncle was parts manager for over 30 years at Fehrs Allis Chalmers Equipment(Road Builders) in Omaha NE. He also parted out different machines over the years. You want his number to see if he would have parts or know some close in Nebraska??
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 6:50am
Shure would ever hurts to call might learn something too.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:50am
DID YOU TRY GENERAL GEAR IN IDAHO?

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:35am
I just called them they couldn't even direct me to anyone
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:53am
http://www.scharfco.com/gm6110.htm

Edited by CAL(KS) - 03 Nov 2016 at 9:56am

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 10:33am
I called them to a few weeks ago their site showed they have parts & such but the main man said its newer stuff & doesn't fit. I was like ok so why do you advertise. U have 6 110 parts. Anyways I they didn't help any. Their web site got me excited just for a let down.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 10:37am
Still no real news the guy that had 4 6 110 engines turns out two are 671s. The other twwoo might be 6 110 but way shorter valve covers blower looks differant so I'm. Still hoping & praying evever night that Ac Mel can save. The day or someone can help.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:32pm
I would think a good machine shop could build one and get it heat treated too
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 1:40am
Wonder if Brents second crawler isn't an HD19,  the had those 6-71 in them...
 And I do not know where theres a 6-110 either... seen a few sold over the years... probably long gone to scrap eons ago now.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:44am
I talked to an 80 year old fella last night in Nebraska. Named Bob Witzel. He seemed very sharp. He said he thinks he has a good blower & shaft said he would get back with me today gonna keep my fingers crossed    I wonder if someone had a hd-19. & a 20 & cross bred them I have most of the stuf I think I could slide it back together enough to play & save I need a u joint cap or u joint & theiers a berring out in the front of the I think it's the transmission. Think I will try putting it together this winter. I'm shure il be on hear then.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:25am
good news.  keep us posted

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 7:45am
Oh I darn shure will I'm shure il be needing something. This site is awesome too
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 6:59pm
I am pretty sure that the shaft was made so as to break to prevent worse damage to the gear train.
dpower View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 9:40pm
Not only did Bob work at an AC dealer he and his friend started a business redoing those GM motors that were on Doffin Grinder mixers mounted on trucks so hopefully he does have the parts for you.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 6:26am
I'm pretty excited to meet Bob & I'm shure he will teach me something I never new. I'm just afraid il get their & want to buy moreAllis stuff than I really need lol. I'm going to temp to meet up saterday to see what he's got.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent.eggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm
Ok so I'm on my way home from Nebraska i a couple blower options so I think I have that covered but I will need a blower drive shaft Ac. Mel
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 9:00pm
Brent, Copy that,did you get any blower pictures from Nebraska? to post up? I'll plan on getting one apart to see. We'll talk again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic