This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hay Wagon Lumber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hay Wagon Lumber?
    Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:06am
Hey Guys,

A month or so ago, I picked up a nice Allis Running gear that previously had been a self unloading Silage wagon. Now, all that is left is the wood deck and running gear. Gear is in nice shape and I can easily read the Allis Decal, but the wood deck is shot.

So, my question. What do you guys recommend as a replacement deck?

Have been told to put 2x6 treated tongue & Groove lumber on it, to keep the water from going down through. I don't have an inside storage spot to keep it.

Also, have been told to use rough sawn lumber, Because when wet it should be a non-slip surface. Any dimensional lumber when wet could be slippery.

Anyways, I plan to use it for light use. Haul pumpkins or small parts, and maybe some hay wagon rides in the fall.

Thoughts on this 1?

Thanks! Don
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:39am
Rough sawed white oak. and cross members the same.... and don't forgit to accidentally spill a good quantity of used diesel oil over them stringers, crossmembers and floor boards... and let em soak it up.  then do it every few years. might last 40 or more years outdoors.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:49am
I disagree with tongue and groove. You want rid of moisture the quickest way possible and not to hold it.
I agree with JC, spill some used oil on it and mop it in on one of these hot sunny days while the grain is open.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 11:56am
some around here that had solid floors on their wagons nailed asphalt shingles down on top for foot traction. I agree with spacing the boards apart to get rid of rain and melting snow. dirty oil will keep staining peoples clothes and painting hides any rotting under the paint. i'd use linseed oil in a pump sprayer and get it between the boards and up underneath, treat the wood as you build it.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 3:31pm
The kicker wagon we used to sell had a gape between boards that lets the water go threw and we soaked them down every fall with used motor oil mixed with diesel fuel when they was dry to keep the water from soaking into them because we had to store them outside.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:40pm
The ones I've seen around here were all built with rough sawn oak with small gaps between the boards.  They look pretty when they are new.  It'll take a ton of carriage bolts to build one!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 9:09pm
I just did a new idea three axel running gear. I used rough sawn white oak. 4” x 6” x 16’ stringers, 3” x 4” x 8’ cross members and 1.5” x 6” x 16’ tip boards. If you search this site for new idea the post with pics should come up
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 10:03pm
Here is a link to Michael Crowe's thread,

Michael, your wagon is looking good, have you got pictures of it finished?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:15am
I don’t know how to use the quote function but I just bet my post on my wagon completed pics in the farm section
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:18am
I’ll see if this link works. It’s in the farm section in case not.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/new-idea-wagon-project_topic150009.html
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
When I built the wagon, I used pipe clamps to hold the top boards snug against each other, and now that they have dried and shrunk a bit they have maybe 3/16” gap between them. I’m taking both my wagons to shoes this summer.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Michael Crowe Michael Crowe wrote:

I’ll see if this link works. It’s in the farm section in case not.

http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/new-idea-wagon-project_topic150009.html

Michael the link worked and the hay bed turned out awesome. That’s the first tandem running gear I’ve seen. 👍
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 11:09am
spill some used oil on it and mop it in on one of these hot sunny days while the grain is open.

exactly what I do on my freshly done floor on the cargo trailer.  Diff is that I used Yellow pine.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:36pm
Dave H, Michael has three coats of linseed oil on it now.  I know when we built our white oak rack, there was several gallons of dieel oilt that got soaked in and had that treatment done many times over the years and it lasted close to 40 years...but it finally got to old out in the elements.
Mike's wagon...

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 12:50pm
Well I will go against the grain and suggest you use pressure treated lumber and be done with it. I do spray my favorite mixture of oil by products on my mower and car hauler trailer but it's another task that could be elimated if pressure treated lumber is used.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
Anyone remember the old creosote or penta-treat products for putting on wood?
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 5:23pm

Oak is very good if the wagon is stored inside otherwise the only way to go is treated lumber.
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Anyone remember the old creosote or penta-treat products for putting on wood?
Yes that is toxic waste when you take the rotted out part to the dump here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. So I leave it all to rot away in a gully LOLsomewhere out of the way.  
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 9:25pm
Thanks guys!!!

Well, I was set to start buying lumber for the 'ol wagon but the car I been driving to work mighta blew an intake gasket. It's leaking coolant pretty good. Put Bars leak in it tonight and it held up so far.

Probably won't start working on the wagon now until I get the vehicles straigtened out and I know I can spare some $$$ beyond buying a different car. Will see though...I do really want to get this wagon finished and resteel my barn by October. Ain't never enough time!!!

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 9:30pm
So I made some progress on my project, stripped the old wagon deck boards tonight. Just have to take off the 1x3" strip boards off the 2x6s in the pictures, then redeck it all.

Thanks again for all the help and will try to take pics when its done!

Posting pictures anymore drives me crazy! Ha

Help!!!

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/media/20180801_190602.119568/full

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/media/20180801_190549.119567/full

Edited by Don(MI) - 01 Aug 2018 at 9:35pm

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:04pm
I was wondering where you was on that project.  The other day I saw some rough cut oak on Flint CL.  I think it was Flint!  I believe he said they were 5/4" boards.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Oak is very good if the wagon is stored inside otherwise the only way to go is treated lumber.
Treated lumber is the way I suppose for lasting, but I don't like stacking hay on treated lumber wagons, too dang slippery!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:33am
The only downfall to treating with old engine oil or a diesel fuel/oil mix is that it is very slippery when it gets wet.

One of our neighbors used a coating of roofing tar thinned with gasoline. He did all the lumber on three sides before building it. He left the bottom of the boards untreated so moisture could escape.

Around here, a lot of hay racks are built with larch or tamarack. You have to make sure to get it fastened while it's green. It is virtually impossible to nail after it's dried without drilling first.
Joe in Manty View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe in Manty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:43pm
I see oak has been the primary wood mentioned for a hay wagon. Has anyone used white ash in building a hay wagon? We have a good sized woods with a lot of it, and with the coming of the emerald ash borer, I can make use of it for a hay wagon. I acquired a Kory running gear from my brother-in-law and am using it know for just hauling logs. With a rack on it, I may be able to use it for more things.

In reading the uses for ash, I was concerned about the warping/cracking/drying out problems. It may or may not be stored inside so I would follow the ideas presented before to preserve the wood.

Any thoughts on this?

Joe
Dad's '52 CA, '68 One Seventy
My '61 D15
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Joe in Manty Joe in Manty wrote:

I see oak has been the primary wood mentioned for a hay wagon. Has anyone used white ash in building a hay wagon? We have a good sized woods with a lot of it, and with the coming of the emerald ash borer, I can make use of it for a hay wagon. I acquired a Kory running gear from my brother-in-law and am using it know for just hauling logs. With a rack on it, I may be able to use it for more things.

In reading the uses for ash, I was concerned about the warping/cracking/drying out problems.
Joe

It is strong enough, if it sits out in the weather it will rot much quicker than white oak. When building a wagon I cut and fit the wood then coat all the hidden areas with a few coats of drain oil then assemble and a few coats on the finished wagon with a paint roller.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:53am
I’ll second that ash doesn’t work that well, and treated lumber is slippery and only pine. Oak is my preference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic