This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard starting 7010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard starting 7010
    Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 4:26pm
We purchased a 7010 last fall and needed to replace the injector pump.  The tractor would start and run full throttle.  We lined up the pump marks and removed the pump to get it rebuilt.  After getting the pump rebuilt we lined up the marks and reinstalled on the tractor.  Our agco dealer installed all new injectors in the head that we removed.  The rest of the engine looked good.  After putting the head back on, hooking up everything the tractor is darn hard to start, it smokes A LOT when trying to start.  If we use ether it will finally start and it runs perfect.  If we shutoff the tractor it will restart easily until it sits for a while.  Any ideas what I could have done wrong?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 5:26pm
Maybe nothing. Diesel engines do start hard when they are cold. "Last Fall " means when?? 2023?? or 2022 ??  Recheck injection pump timing to verify it is at 16 degrees BTDC. Anything faster than that  (17 or more) will make it start hard when COLD and eventually burn a piston.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 5:26pm
the hardest job a pump has to do is crank a tractor - you stated the tractor would sart and run full throttle - suggest nothing was wrong with the pump - probably a fuel restriction that still exists or an air leak.  IF not - we always suggest using a remote fuel source bypassing the tractor's system - the pump could be advanced a few degrees. Try removing the front pump cover and moving the timing back - say 4 degrees - and see what happens.  Cranking speed is also VERY important on these engines. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
farmboycitygirl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 5:46pm
When you started the tractor with the old pump it would run fast idle no matter what you tried.  Replaced the injector pump and that stopped.  We put a brand new gear reduction starter on as well as new batteries.  It cranks fine just doesn't start.  I will take a video and post.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 5:58pm
Cranks fast and SMOKES WHITE ???  or cranks fast and NO smoke ??
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 8:38pm
...he said it smokes A LOT!!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 8:56pm
It's hard to help people when they don't accurately answer questions. Fall of 2022 or 2023 makes a difference to me. 2022 means they should be knowledgeable about COLD starts and block heaters, etc, etc.  2023 may mean they think this is like a gas tractor for cold starting and it ain't.  Good in 2022  and not now in 2023 would mean to me the likely hood of the injection pump being incorrectly timed somewhere faster than 16 degrees BTDC. BEST starting is with the throttle at dead idle, crank the engine and pull out the fuel knob slowly.

Edited by DrAllis - 30 Dec 2023 at 9:02pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:19pm
As they say a video is worth a thousand words

Edited by farmboycitygirl - 30 Dec 2023 at 9:23pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:20pm
cranks fast and white smoke
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:22pm
the shop the tractor is in is kept at approximately 60 degrees 
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:54pm
What is overnight temperature in building?  0 - 15 - 30 - 45 - 60 Fahrenheit. 
 Are you using an engine coolant heater and does it work & make engine head warm to the touch?  
 Throttle position while cranking; Low idle - 1/2 - full open  ?? 
 Does a 7010 have an intake heater and does it work & do you use it and for how long? 
 Once running if you shutoff for 15 -20 minutes how is it to restart? 

There's plenty of knowledgeable people here willing to help but need more info. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 9:54pm
INJECTION PUMP NOT TIMED TO 16 DEGREES BTDC. Keep it up and you'll be buying another starter.
JPG AUSTRALIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPG AUSTRALIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 11:37pm
Interesting thread,i bought a 7040,exact same issue,will roll white smoke but needs a shot of ether to start unless air temp is hot ,90f and above. First thing i did was check timing,expecting it to be too advanced,it was spot on,so retartded it 2 degrees. No better. Once its been running and motor warmed up its fine for a restart. Motor was just rebuilt before i got it,and it all seems good. I think maybe on mine it could be few things, cam might be timd wrong,causing low start compression ,or the pump isnt timed right internally. Im thinking pump issue as mine pulls good but wont roll black coal when you load it hard like a normal 426,always clean at full power.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 6:30am
Could the timing mark slip to a deteriorated rubber on the damper? 
Maybe a visual inspection of dampener could provide a clue.
Can a dial indicator be placed in the fuel nozzle opening to prove TDC? 

We were not careful enough to clean and read the numbers on the dampener after a fuel pump overhaul and set it ten degrees wrong and had a poor running engine. 
Corrected timing and all was OK.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:07am
Rubber damper could have slipped, sure. That's why it's important to CHECK where a running/starting engine is timed at BEFORE pump removal and place it right back where it was. Check timing to verify. Correct if needed. Start using block heater for an hour on COLD starts.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:39am
of course we cranked on it that long so all of you could see what was happening.  
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:39am
So a block heater is needed at 60 degrees?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:44am
SHOULDN"T BE, but if there isn't enough cranking compression to start a fire, that's what it MIGHT take to figger out what their problem is. Until pump timing is VERIFIED we are all guessing and no one has said if it started fine in Fall of 2022. It is said the cylinder head was removed from the engine. WHY?? Were the valves and seats touched up/reground?? because if so, the valves may be sunk into the head deeper than specs and hard starting is the result. Again....2022 to 2023 what has changed ..........

Edited by DrAllis - 31 Dec 2023 at 7:56am
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 7:55am
My 8030 was the same way, would roll over good and smoke white, got a hold of Dr and he told me to change out the engine heater and make sure the extension cord is heavy enough and is good. I did that and always pump up fuel by hand and open throttle wide open and when she hit pull throttle back to idle, that is with the old girl setting in a shed with no heat. I need to plug the heater in for 4 or 6 hrs before trying to start her, it make all the different in the world. Do as the one that know what they're talking are telling you and answer all there question, and remember to check everything and recheck it again. GOOD LUCK. 
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 8:31am
Originally posted by im4racin im4racin wrote:

So a block heater is needed at 60 degrees?

No, some thing is wrong, my wore out 6080 starts way better.

My 8050's vibration damper with only 4000 hrs on it  moved 12 degrees.

Edited by NEVER green - 31 Dec 2023 at 8:35am
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 11:32am
WOW!!! Smoking that much at 60deg and not a sign of ignition with all that cranking! Follow Dr's orders here for best results.
I'm guessing that a 301 can't have the backward injector install like the Bosch 426's?

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 31 Dec 2023 at 11:34am
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

WOW!!! Smoking that much at 60deg and not a sign of ignition with all that cranking! Follow Dr's orders here for best results.
I'm guessing that a 301 can't have the backward injector install like the Bosch 426's?

They sure can if it's got Bosch/Ambac injectors. If AC injectors, no. A 7010 would be a very good possibility of having the Bosch. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 1:07pm
The tractor started fine with the old injection pump just ran full throttle, so we only started it a couple of times before replacing the pump.  The cylinder head was removed because it was leaking anti-freeze at the injectors. All six injectors were supplied and installed by the dealer, the dealer also  'magna fluxed' the head to make sure there were no cracks, again the head was done and parts supplied by an agco dealer in Winfield KS.  We were told by the dealer the valves, seats, and springs were fine. 

I do not have the required tools to install the injector seals or whatever they are called.

Once the tractor starts it runs fantastic.  

I will work on getting the timing checked.

Edited by farmboycitygirl - 31 Dec 2023 at 1:10pm
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 1:27pm
Just to add to the good advice, what about using the air manifold heater?

Or adding one if it doesn't already have one?

Makes all the difference in mine...
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
automaticdave View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote automaticdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 2:26pm
Just trying to help & get a clear picture of this issue, " Quote "   the dealer told you the valves, seats & springs were fine, DID THEY GRIND THE VALVES & SEATS ??? Is it possible to install a thicker head gasket than oem ? Could the valves be adjusted too tight? I,m no expert by any means but from what I see & hear in the video I can't help but think you have a low compression issue. All the best --   Dave
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 5:30pm
Just some thoughts from past experience
I absolutely am not suggesting you did anything wrong. Stuff happens. I can be dead wrong with what im about to say
Feel free to reject it if you dont think its right. Looking at the video makes me think the timing is too late. It would mimic low compression. But you say it runs fine after its started so I dont know. I think if it was mine id ensure somehow that the timing marks on the dampner are correct
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 10:28pm
Getting accurate info shouldn't be so hard.....who bolted head on? Must have had leaky copper injector sleeves? Who set valve lash? Are injectors installed correctly? If pump was pulled after aligning pump timing marks and engine WAS NOT TURNED the rebuilt pump should go back in place in perfect time....it should have been locked with timing marks aligned. You said you had to turn rebuilt pump....something don't sound right to me. If dealer did all this work they should be helping figure out problem.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 10:41pm
U say all 6 injectors were supplied and Installed by dealer...do you mean injector sleeves not injectors? You don't say what was done exactly with the head. It sounds like all they did was replace copper sleeves and magnaflux for cracks.That would eliminate the question about grinding valves
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 11:22am
If old pump was trying to run away, I've seen one other DM have this, the weight carrier drive is pressed on and has a small pin to lock in place, and one came in sheared and slipping. This piece is where the timing mark is, so if you timed it upon removal, there's a possibility it wasn't actually in time, just some random spot. Good luck!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboycitygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 2:30pm
The dealer installed the seals (needed a swayed tool or something like that) and new injectors.

Ed - I bet you are right.  We will find out this week 

Edited by farmboycitygirl - 01 Jan 2024 at 2:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic