This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H3 question??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 question??
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:03pm
Ok I was out using my H3 tonight to clear some small brush when I heard a knock/rattle and it died. Won't turn over, something is locked up and I'm not sure what. Motor won't turn over (but not sure if the clutch came apart and is locking the motor up).

Lets assume the motor came apart and locked up though. With the main clutch in and the trans out of gear should I be able to skid the machine and have the tracks roll? Or because of the shuttle transmission will that keep the tracks locked up?

Thanks, trying to figure out what is locked up so I can then dismantle and repair.
Sponsored Links

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:38pm
Also by pulling both steering clutches all the way back, you will be able to move it. The shuttle is also a mechanical clutch running in oil along with the engine clutch which will disengage as well. So you have  three disconnects for power to the tracks.
Kipn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kipn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:18pm
I pushed mine with the tranny in neutral.
1961 H3
chevytaHOE5674 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:39pm
Got it winched out of the field and close to the pavement. Tomorrow the task will be to get it onto the trailer.... 
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:23pm
I have Parts and Service manual[s] for H3/HD3 machines if you end up needing for repairs. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:39pm
Got it loaded onto the trailer with the help of the backhoe. Now to find time to pull the motor and see what went wrong.

Thanks I have all the manuals as well.
LannyMTN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LannyMTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:35am
I would pull the starter first, and see what you can see from there. May have broken nose on starter, and locked it up. Lanny   Mid TN
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:33pm
Starter was the first thing pulled. Tried turning the flywheel with a bar and it is locked up. Got to get one of my other tractors back together and then the motor is coming out of the H3 and we will see what is the matter, 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevytaHOE5674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:37am
Pulled the valve cover and noticed one push rod missing, so i pulled the head and noticed that cam follower was gone, then got the flash light out and noticed pieces of the cam missing... 

Motor has to come out now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic