This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Groundhogs under concrete slab building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Groundhogs under concrete slab building
    Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:13am
What's the best way to get rid of groundhogs under a concrete slab of a building? Been dealing with these for the last couple years and need a solution...
Thanks Matt
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:43am
A hungry dog?
Snakes?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:18am
A fiend that had one under his building used human waste , later on his neighbor ask what ever happen to ground hog u had under your building ,I have one now n want to get rid of him. 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:25am
I have a metal storage building, with a paved floor, where I keep my tractors. Groundhogs are constantly digging under the walls for access inside the building. 

Have you tried live traps? I have a live trap with a bullet hole through it, but that's a different smelly story.

Edited by WF owner - 23 Jun 2021 at 6:25am
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:41am
Set up a catch barrel for rain from the roof and every time is fills up siphon the barrel into the groundhog hole. Be ready as the rodent will come flying out soaked with a WTF look on his face Big smile
  Used cat litter down the hole will run them off as well Dead
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:44am
A lot of patience and a well placed .22lr does a good job. Make sure the gun is loaded though. Pawpaw had one in his garden one year. He sat out behind the LP tank for SEVERAL hours waiting on it to show. It finally did and he got a bead on it, pulled the trigger, and "click".... No bullet. A single shot rifle with no bullets is pretty useless at a distance farther than arms length.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:27am
Leg hold traps work well then the .22
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:51am
Apple slice soaked in antifreeze dumped into the hole??
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:15am
Hose hooked to exhaust on a lawn mower and pour a little transmission fluid in gas tank
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:09am
Get gopher grenades from the hardware store. Just lite toss down hole and cover it up cardboard or plywood works great you want the gas to stay in the holeto
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 12:51pm
I got 2 yesterday with my 22.  The scope is still dead on.  I got 2 more to deal with, maybe today!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 1:09pm
I shoot plenty out away from building but as soon as these hear me coming there under the slab before I can get a shot( can't really shoot anyways, why I asked for maybe some ideas)
Billoh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:18pm
Put bubble gum down the hole,3or4.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

I shoot plenty out away from building but as soon as these hear me coming there under the slab before I can get a shot( can't really shoot anyways, why I asked for maybe some ideas)
Well. . . . 

Be veeewwwwy veewwwwwy quiet!  Hehehehehehee
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:45pm
22 is permanent... around here they EAT the bubble gum, DRINK the antifreeze, then SNIFF the oily tractor fumes to get high !!!  ...dont seem to work !  Wink   Wink

never tried cat chit.... have to give that a try.  Clap

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Jun 2021 at 2:46pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:59pm
Put a hose on the exhaust of a vehicle and leave it run, stick it way down the hole 
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:06pm
Anhydrous Ammonia down the hole.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 4:22pm
Live trap set up obstacles so they have to go in such as a sheet of plywood or tires or something and put some bait in the trap. Learn to find their regular paths. I have even set a live trap in a path in tall grass. One thing no one gets out aliveWink
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:32pm
If you don't wanna shoot up your live traps, just drop trap, with critter inside, in a barrel fulla water.  Or try these...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:34pm
Conibear traps! The only problem with them is animals you want to keep alive as the trap is non selective. https://youtu.be/G1USVaR3APo
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:58am
I'm thinking 25/06! Or maybe .243, or .220 Swift, or .222 Magnum, (I do have one). Would probably just use the .22 because of easy access.

Have caught a couple in the live trap, apples make good bait. Also got one in a connibear. Apparently coons don't like holes in the ground as that groundhog and some opossums is all I've caught there. 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:21am
Conibear traps here,(BIG model), no other animals to worry about and they do work great!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Leg hold traps work well then the .22
WTH ??  Even "I" have a sense of humane treatment of animals, a Coni Bear trap is MUCH more humane IMO, and the OP should have been on the "look-out" 2 years ago LOLLOL .
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Billoh Billoh wrote:

Put bubble gum down the hole,3or4.
I'm pretty sure that this only works for "moles" Wink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

How much $$ will THIS cost ??Confused
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 7:20pm
Depends on Operator applying the Anhydrous!
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:56am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

How much $$ will THIS cost ??Confused

At current price per ton at $695, estimate about 50 lbs of nh3, less than $20.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 9:29am
Anything from the .22 to the .450 if I can get a shot at them. Double spring conibear when I'm not able to sit there. Anybody have suggestions for how to refill the dirt--get support back under the slab? I've had some luck with limestone on top of old chicken wire to keep them from redigging the entrance but never figured out how to get more than a couple feet backfilled.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 10:14am
DYN O MITE! however, like most of the other suggestions, there are some down side effects......but it is guaranteed to get the job done!
Like they say in the local gambling establishments, or, rather in their advertisements, go big or go home......I'm not even sure what that means, I think, throw all your money away at once, rather than a little bit at a time. That way they can get get more people in to fleece. But now I am way, way off track! OK, pesky varmint..............
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Steve A Steve A wrote:

Anybody have suggestions for how to refill the dirt--get support back under the slab? I've had some luck with limestone on top of old chicken wire to keep them from redigging the entrance but never figured out how to get more than a couple feet backfilled.

When I was working, we use a product called "flowable fill". We used it mostly when "slip-lining" culverts (sliding a slightly smaller culvert inside a damaged slightly larger culvert). We used it to take up the space between the two culverts.

Flowable fill is, basically, a very wet slump concrete (almost liquid) without aggregate (I believe sand, portland cement and water) in it. (Google flowable fill) It has little strength, and is designed to be able to be pumped. We bought ours as "ready mix", but there is no reason you couldn't mix small quantities yourself. It does harden enough that an animal couldn't burrow through it.

I'm sure you could either rent a small concrete pump (maybe even a "mud sucker" pump, but you would have to really clean it well after) or fashion some sort of pump to pump it your self. (I'm thinking of some kind of container that you could pick up with a loader and let gravity do the pumping.)

Edited by WF owner - 25 Jun 2021 at 11:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic