This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grocery $$$

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grocery $$$
    Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 6:05pm
The wife came home from COSTCO Sunday night and conceded that it's  cheaper to feed us from a FF value menu than to BUY, STORE, PREPARE a home-cooked evening meal Ouch.  Yes ,she's a penny pincher Embarrassed
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 6:45pm
Enjoy your Soy diet
Another reason to not eat FF
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 8:37pm
Healthy food is not cheap.
Cheap food is crappy.
The only somewhat ‘fast food’ establishment I patronize(maybe twice a month) is Whataburger. There are only a few items on their menu I purchase, the Hatch Chili Double burger, and a couple of their salad choices are all I care for.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

The wife came home from COSTCO Sunday night and conceded that it's  cheaper to feed us from a FF value menu than to BUY, STORE, PREPARE a home-cooked evening meal Ouch.  Yes ,she's a penny pincher Embarrassed

That is actually poor math skills, and incredibly poor dietary discipline.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:58am
maybe "the wife" got tired of his bitching about not tasting like the mystery meat he likes and with his intelligence she has convinced him she's going to quit cooking with the farce "it's cheaper".

If someone wants to compare value and quality, Eating at a locally owned Mom & Pop restaurant  probably has better value, is more nutritious and keeps more money in the local area than supporting franchise fast food serving mystery meat and who knows what else that is engineers highly processed whatever you want to call it (I can't say it's food)   

Edited by PaulB - 29 Jun 2022 at 2:20pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:09am
When we used to visit my 'American Aunt' in Florida, 30 years ago, we saw 'all-you-can-eat' breakfast signs at really,really low prices. We both said the same thing.NOW we know why Americans(some..) have a weight problem.
Wonder do you still have those 'meal deals' ?

A US gallon of 2% milk here is $5.39, as of yesterday.
A 15# bag of 'irregular' spuds was $5.

Overall food is 15% higher than last year. 'They' say 9.8%...hmmm
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:54am
Ex Co worker loved the McDs two cheeseburger meals, was PO'd at McDs the other day complaining his typical treat had nearly Doubled in price.  I have no idea how much they are as do not patronize.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:09am
I've got my grocery list started, 4th of July sales are starting in the grocery stores right now. starting Friday if i spend $100. on stuff we need, i'll get a .75 cent off a gallon of gas at a local station. plus a 10% old fart discount. i was at Wally World this morning, and all soft drinks in the 2 liter bottles are .99 cents each. I don't drink much soft drinks by themselves, but do use it for mixed refreshments. diet Squirt is our fav! we see really good buys on meats too. I have a few things I need for the cook shack. like Dave said...I think her math skills are a bit off! around here...if we are hungry, we fix something to eat, it's not always at 8 AM, or 12 noon, or 6 PM. last time we stopped at Runza...2 burgers, 2 fries, and 1 soft drink, I didn't get a drink, was right at $22.00. i can make 2 burgers, and taters however we want them and a drink for a heck of a lot less than $22.! sounds like your bride is tired of cooking?  
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:31am
Go ahead and eat your garbage.
I will eat at home I don't care what it cost.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 10:05am
Being a chef and weighing in on this subject You realize very few of us eat the RDDA{reccommended daily dietary allowance} With that being said any fast-food sandwich and fries are way more than double what you need.  Ice cream in the food service industry is a 4 oz portion. How many of you eat just 4 ounces, not me.  Protein is like 3 or 4 ounces per serving.    Fast food is way overpriced for what you get.  A wise shopper can still make good meals at a better cost than any fast food.  My wife and I produce most of our meat but we still buy some pork but I buy big cuts and break it down into portion size.  I cut all our pork chops into 6 ounce pieces and we eat just one and supplement it with fruits, vegetables and a salad  I think if we costed out our dinner meals and lunch it would probably be around $2.50 to $3.25 per person per meal.  We do not buy steaks when we run out we wait until our next calf becomes hamburger.  So to say fast food is cheaper is a big falsehood.  Just my 2 cents.  Take it for what it is worth.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 11:09am
If the darn O'l train was not blocking the crossing, you could have time grow a nice garden. A little sweat can save lots of money.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 2:32pm
Serving size for NORMAL Human is size of circle of hand palm, IE 4 oz.  1 Vege, 1 Protein(Meat), 1 Dairy or a dessert.  TOTAl 12 Oz for A Meal.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 3:06pm
I could easily live on 12 oz per meal........... if i ate 5 times per day !!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:21pm

She blind, too?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

She blind, too?Wink
NOPE !!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

maybe "the wife" got tired of his bitching about not tasting like the mystery meat he likes and with his intelligence she has convinced him she's going to quit cooking with the farce "it's cheaper".

If someone wants to compare value and quality, Eating at a locally owned Mom & Pop restaurant  probably has better value, is more nutritious and keeps more money in the local area than supporting franchise fast food serving mystery meat and who knows what else that is engineers highly processed whatever you want to call it (I can't say it's food)   
Can you back this statement up with "dietary  facts " ???WinkWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY]The wife came home from COSTCO Sunday night and conceded that it's  cheaper to feed us from a FF value menu than to BUY, STORE, PREPARE a home-cooked evening meal Ouch.  Yes ,she's a penny pincher Embarrassed

[/QUOTE
Please explain Embarrassed
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

She blind, too?Wink
NOPE !!!

How about deaf?  You already have dumb covered, so I won't ask that!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I've got my grocery list started, 4th of July sales are starting in the grocery stores right now. starting Friday if i spend $100. on stuff we need, i'll get a .75 cent off a gallon of gas at a local station. plus a 10% old fart discount. i was at Wally World this morning, and all soft drinks in the 2 liter bottles are .99 cents each. I don't drink much soft drinks by themselves, but do use it for mixed refreshments. diet Squirt is our fav! we see really good buys on meats too. I have a few things I need for the cook shack. like Dave said...I think her math skills are a bit off! around here...if we are hungry, we fix something to eat, it's not always at 8 AM, or 12 noon, or 6 PM. last time we stopped at Runza...2 burgers, 2 fries, and 1 soft drink, I didn't get a drink, was right at $22.00. i can make 2 burgers, and taters however we want them and a drink for a heck of a lot less than $22.! sounds like your bride is tired of cooking?  
Runza is bending you over  dude Confused
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:26pm
[QUOTE=fixer1958]Go ahead and eat your garbage.
I will eat at home I don't care what it cost.
[/QUOTE
Cabbage salads ??Clap
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 12:14am

[QUOTE=FREEDGUY]The wife came home from COSTCO Sunday night and conceded that it's  cheaper to feed us from a FF value menu than to BUY, STORE, PREPARE a home-cooked evening meal Ouch.  Yes ,she's a penny pincher Embarrassed

[/QUOTE

Explain what?  It is prima-facie evident:
Anyone capable of reading the RDA card can see that fast food is junk.  Carbs, cholesterol, and sodium... the least amount of proteins possible.

Anyone capable of reading a register receipt can see that, for the cost of an average 'value meal', one can buy TWO POUNDS of pork chops.

A fist full of garden-fresh snap peas, a garden-fresh cucumber, and a four ounce (that's a quarter-pound) piece of a 1 lb pork chop amounts to just over a dollar.  Top it off with a tall glass of tap water, and it'll require 4 minutes in a microwave oven.  Put a little spicy brown or horseradish on it, grab the kitchen scissors, cut up some fresh garden chives, sprinkle on top, and you're set for the whole day in every category.  You could boil two cups of noodles, strain, then mix in a thin slice of butter, sprinkle on some black pepper and a spritz of lemon juice, sprinkle on some crushed Gorgonzola, and while it'll bring up the carbs number a little bit, it'll be a low-BG impact, and won't leave you hungry for a sweet desert.

You can TWO of those meals for under 4 bucks...  You can't get that nutrition from FF at ANY price, just stupid-priced machine-processed junk.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 3:59am
Wife and I will fix a medium sized pork loin after spicing it up and allowing to soak the spices overnight in fridge.  Bake at 350 30-40 minutes a pound and have THREE evening Meals from it.  Side Veges, perhaps a Salad, even share a medium sized Baked Russet between us with just REAL butter and garlic pepper and ALL is great.  Do that with chops and still do it with sharing a average size Round or Tbone or Porterhouse steak.  Chicken baked up lasts three meals easily as do not try to consume it all to prove we can.  Add a pasta side dish and even better.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 6:45am
re: that fast food is junk.  Carbs, cholesterol, and sodium... the least amount of proteins possible.

yeah BUT it tastes soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good ! and easy !!, don't  have drive to grocery store, buy stuff,prepare stuff,cook the meal with $$$ gas/tricity,clean up !

BTW I haven't been to any since the Chinese invasion, probably won't go anymore either.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 7:03am

[/QUOTE

Explain what?  It is prima-facie evident:
Anyone capable of reading the RDA card can see that fast food is junk.  Carbs, cholesterol, and sodium... the least amount of proteins possible.

Anyone capable of reading a register receipt can see that, for the cost of an average 'value meal', one can buy TWO POUNDS of pork chops.

A fist full of garden-fresh snap peas, a garden-fresh cucumber, and a four ounce (that's a quarter-pound) piece of a 1 lb pork chop amounts to just over a dollar.  Top it off with a tall glass of tap water, and it'll require 4 minutes in a microwave oven.  Put a little spicy brown or horseradish on it, grab the kitchen scissors, cut up some fresh garden chives, sprinkle on top, and you're set for the whole day in every category.  You could boil two cups of noodles, strain, then mix in a thin slice of butter, sprinkle on some black pepper and a spritz of lemon juice, sprinkle on some crushed Gorgonzola, and while it'll bring up the carbs number a little bit, it'll be a low-BG impact, and won't leave you hungry for a sweet desert.

You can TWO of those meals for under 4 bucks...  You can't get that nutrition from FF at ANY price, just stupid-priced machine-processed junk.
Talking to him is like talking to that fly on the other side of the window.  
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 9:09am
Spousal unit I'm married to long ago adopted a meal plan.........takes a one month calendar and plans evening meals for the entire month. Fills out a shopping list, then shops monthly. That has now dropped to every 2 weeks. Saves a ton...and you always know what's for dinner.

Examples of food savings? Gets as many as 4 or 5 meals out a single chicken.

You can eat a lot cheaper at home......but have to plan for it.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 9:17am
I love my wife, but as God as my witness, you do not want to go grocery shopping with her. When in a grocery store, she talks like a sailor. Takes a paper list, takes recipe books with her to read ingredients. Ranting and raving the whole time. For a woman who loves shopping for clothes, antique-ing, estate sales, etc., she loathes grocery shopping. Are all women like that?

Edited by Lars(wi) - 06 Jul 2022 at 9:18am
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 12:04pm
The one I know are.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 6:39am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic