This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gravel Driveway Options ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gravel Driveway Options ??
    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:10pm
Freind of mine has a HORRIBLE issue with his drive this season and the frost hasn't even "gurgled" yet "HERE". he's getting quotes for asphalt, limestone, recycled concrete( I told him to BAIL on that due to steel tire spears) and recycled asphalt. What would be your choice of the above-mentioned products ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:21pm
https://selectstoneohio.com/product/411-berm-stone-bulk/ Berm Mix is the best for a driveway that has no bottom. Your friend is probably too late as Frost Laws limiting how much weight a truck can haul are going on in most counties in Southern Michigan. Unless they live on a Class A road then weight restrictions are less or don't apply.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:48pm
Thanks klinemar, I will forward this link 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 7:02pm
Have seen people have good results with ground up old asphalt, spread and rolled. Best done in the heat of summer. Very little dust.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 7:07pm
I have several tons of ground up puns( crusher pun), I could let you have, if you ask nicely...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 02 Mar 2022 at 8:51pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:18pm
I have experimented with putting a matting layer of straw down first in the spongy area, pressing it into the area then covering it with rock. My reasoning for trying this came from watching how they treat wet spots in the grass areas at the farm progress show before they had the roads and also at the state fairgrounds. The straw layer seems to spread the weight and keep you from sinking in.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Have seen people have good results with ground up old asphalt, spread and rolled. Best done in the heat of summer. Very little dust.

Around here they call that stuff millings.  Worked good for me without rolling.  It stiffens up quite well in the heat of the summer.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:56pm
Here we use a material called chirt. When it arrives it looks like mud and makes you think "boy I've screwed up". But you let it dry a day or two then you can spread it and when you get it spread 2 to 4 inches thick and it dries it's there. It sets up like concrete. And it's about 1/2 price of gravel to boot
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 3:01pm
Years ago, my grandfather got what was called ‘cinders’. Spread it out, it was something that didn’t bind together, always stayed kinda loose, although no dust.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 3:28pm
kinda depends on the size of the driveway...but....
the BASE is what really counts...
and then COMPACTION.....

gotta get rid of ALL 'top soil' like material, then 2-3 layers of 'sub base'(big rocks, well compacted, in 4-6" lifts) ,then layers of 'base', say 3, 4" layers WELL COMPACTED, THEN you can put on the 'top coat'...asphalt,pavers, whatever.

I installed 4by8 pavers on a 1" bed of sand on top of 16" 'base' on compacted subsoil back in 2014. since then I've driven everything on it, including the 7000# forklift( a ZILLION+1 times), pavers are 99.44% original looking.

It's ALL about the base..the stuff you NEVER see, do that RIGHT, you'll only need to do it once.

I has RAP (Recycled Asphalt Pavement)  installed next door. As long as you drive on it, it's fine. Since there's no 'binder'(tar), it'll  separate into bits. drive over it with something heavy(hmmm...loaded forklift...) and it magically is good again !

My driveway here is 32 year old asphalt, crack at paving seem,only been 'sealed' ONCE, maybe 22-25 years ago. It(base) should have been compacted more..oh well...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

I have experimented with putting a matting layer of straw down first in the spongy area, pressing it into the area then covering it with rock. My reasoning for trying this came from watching how they treat wet spots in the grass areas at the farm progress show before they had the roads and also at the state fairgrounds. The straw layer seems to spread the weight and keep you from sinking in.
Dirt, it's odd that you bring up the "straw" aspectLOLLOL ! My friend inquired about the SAME scenario ClapClap !! Thanks for the reply !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Years ago, my grandfather got what was called ‘cinders’. Spread it out, it was something that didn’t bind together, always stayed kinda loose, although no dust.
 Lars, when I was in middle school in the mid '70's , the outdoor running track WAS a CINDER TRACK Smile . When/if you "wiped-out" on the track, you were digging shrapnel out of knees/elbows for weeks OuchOuch !!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:09pm
Main purpose of a Cinder Track was Leg Strengthening as is similar to running on sand.  Gives with every push off yet easier on the ankles/knees as gives as foot comes down.  And yes, we all worked hard NOT to fall down.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:20pm
We have Loess Soils here so do not need a lot of under work for gravel roads.  Our drive was Sod pushed off then 2" clean at first then 2" with heavy screenings or Minus rock mixed as a second layer, final was Inch Minus that when wetted and allowed to dry out gets like Concrete.  Every heavy rain will soak into topmost layer where several days of rain or as with the recent snows repeated often then quick to thaw and soak in the road still softens up, but just a inch or so of top layer.

In heavy clays around the several counties surrounding ours, the contractors will layer in 3" clean at roughly 5-6" depth, followed with 2" minus topped with Inch Minus and ALWAYS Crowned to allow water to direct to edges.

Our drive is due for a top coat of 1" Minus stone as is over eight years in place.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:57pm
If you have really wet unstable soil or any soil- after grading the top off - get a stabilizer fabric, it works great on job sites Im on , and I laughed the first time I seen it used- but dam it works great, sure cuts down on the amount of rock needed and holds up great

Edited by DougG - 03 Mar 2022 at 6:58pm
dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:18pm
Geotextile fabric down first will save tons of rock, literally. I use it in high traffic areas like gates and feed pads. Rock lasts 3 times as long and takes less rock to resurface.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:24pm
friend placed old grinding stones down first... yeah 4' round ones, them suckers were friggin heavy, back then, 1978... I was younger then..sigh....

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 7:25pm
Several have posted using fabric first and then material. Yes that works as I backed a tri axle dump truck loaded with 12 yards of gravel into a landing as it was being made.With fabric first and then road gravel with no top soil removed. This was on a Oil Pipeline spill cleanup along the Kalamazoo River.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 11:19pm
lime stone will melt from rain, but...it does put a great base down if you use 3 inch lime stone, then after driving on it awhile follow up with 3/4 inch/gravel/crushed and screened concrete/something that is easier to drive over. the big limestone will melt in place and put a good base down for other stuff. some around here are using slag from the plants that melt steel down. right now it's really cheap.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 6:03am
We've used a lot of slag here to. It is cheaper but you have to watch it because there's a few scrap parts in it sometimes. Also if you put down to much of the fine stuff it won't lock together and will continue to roll and move
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 6:20am
There was an episode of 'Mighty Trains' where the guys laid  branches and brush down then ballast for the RR tracks in some really,really boggy part of England or Europe( senior's moment). That was back in the 1850-1890s era... tack is still there...
Sounds like geotex is the manmade modern version of it....

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 6:33am
Are several quarries here with a really hard limestone, called Dolomite.  Is acids and erosion resistant darned near to a granite but still limestone.  Hell Hole at Readsville MO, Magruder Limestone in Ashley MO and one I cannot remember name of south of Pevely MO had this stone.  Western Arkansas is supposedly loaded with it.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 7:09am
I dont do much of that stuff, but when I do I use a 100% Limestone Product from the Calcite plant in Rogers City MI. The binder is crusher fines, no clay what-so-ever. Lay it down, level it up, pack it down good, sprinkle some Dow Flake on it and when it rains it wont melt, it turns to concrete LOL

Then again, the worlds largest open pit limestone quarry is 20 minutes from my house so not everyone may have this option

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 7:12am
FYI, If you google map Rogers City MI and switch to satellite view you can see the quarry. The primary crusher was installed back in the 40's (I think) and was built by non other than Allis-Chalmers
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 7:56am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

FYI, If you google map Rogers City MI and switch to satellite view you can see the quarry. The primary crusher was installed back in the 40's (I think) and was built by non other than Allis-Chalmers
Don, didn't realize that's where Millersburg was.  Been near there many times, but not quite right there.  You aren't all that far away from me.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Don, didn't realize that's where Millersburg was.  Been near there many times, but not quite right there.  You aren't all that far away from me.

Where are you located? If you ever through the 'burg just let me know.

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:52am
For being a giant hole in the ground, the quarry is kind of neat. Right now they are at like 300 foot below Lake Huron level, so there are pumps that run 24/7 to keep the water out. Some sections they are done mining in and those areas are now flooded.  Pumps are run by a 400HP electric motor. A 400HP 440V 3-phase electric motor is a LARGE electric motor LOL. When the quarry first opened at the turn of the century everything was steam and rail. The rail cars pulled along side the crusher and dumped off the side into it. Now everything is large quarry trucks (CAT 797 I think)  and they back into the crusher house and dump into it. The material is crushed and then travels by belt to the top of the screen house which is 10 stories tall. It goes through the screen house to different belts depending on stone size and gets dumped into a pile according to the diameter of the stone. Those piles are pushed up by D10 CAT dozers. The material travels under ground through trap doors under the piles, through "the tunnels" and out to the boat loader where it is loaded onto the Great Lakes Ships

It is hard to get into because it is considered a port of entry and is guarded by the US Border Patrol, but during Rogers City's Nautical Festival they have the equipment on display outside the gates. They also do tours at that time, but they are hard to get on. First come/ first serve and fill up quickly

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 9:24am
Sounds like you are going to have Another GREAT LAKE sometime in the future ! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:25am

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Where are you located? If you ever through the 'burg just let me know.
I'm down toward Tawas / West Branch sorta.  Used to be up your way a LOT when the kids were younger.  Hockey and Softball took me all over the place. I miss those days for the most part........but I can remember $750 per month in gasoline too, can't imagine what it would cost now the way things are going.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Freind of mine has a HORRIBLE issue with his drive this season and the frost hasn't even "gurgled" yet "HERE". he's getting quotes for asphalt, limestone, recycled concrete( I told him to BAIL on that due to steel tire spears) and recycled asphalt. What would be your choice of the above-mentioned products ?? Thanks

Probly the cheapest way would be a layer of cinders after dug out and then top it with asphalt grindings. My grandson had cinders hauled in from a foundry and then covered it with crushed limestone. Semi cattle trucks are in on it year round without much attention. arounfd here all you have in both cinders and asphalt only costs the trucking. Crushed limesone is kinda saulty to buy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic