This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass hay cuttings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grass hay cuttings
    Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 6:21pm
Does anyone on here make 4 or more cuttings per year of dry grass hay? Due to the perfect weather patterns around the local area and heavy fertilizer applications, seems we are ready to start some 3rd cutting hay which may be a first since I can remember in July.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 7:02pm
Have seen Two here, not even three.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 7:25pm
In southern Wisc. where I grew up 3 cuttings was considered a normal year. If you were a able to get decent yields with 4 that was an above average year. Granted, that was back when mowing didn’t happen until 1/4 bloom stage. Nowadays guys are cutting first crop before it is tall enough to touch the bar of the haybine.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 7:37pm
Can't even make first cutting in New York state this year. Rained every day since June 14th
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:28pm
We normally got 3 to 4 cuttings of mixed brome, clover, alalafa hay per year. Due to the no rain situation the past month, I am only get 2 cuttings of brome and clover mix this year.
wade89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wade89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm
2 is normal here in MN. Some guys get a 3rd in October with fertilizer. This year it looks like 1 unless we get some rain. Everything came up a foot or so and then burnt to a crisp.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 7:31am
Most years 2 cuttings of grass hay. Just doesn't have the yield potential unless mixed with clover or alfalfa and fertilized. This year is a near disaster as it won't stop raining! I am half done with 1st cutting and the second I did get made is now all blossomed!
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 8:26pm
I do two in NC usually July and August are hot and dry so no growth. Every year someone around says in may they will get three cuttings but I won’t try it. I like to cut the final cut around the first of September because I like to have some growth before winter comes.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 11:09am
My neighbor is over taking 4th cutting alfalfa after 15 days since 3rd and it’s already 1/3 bloom. We have had 6 plus inches of rain in July already, 90 plus temps. I think around here people are going for more quality and less quality the last few years. Although I see rain forecast most of the afternoon followed with a couple good days so think I’ll hold back. I know mine has plenty volume and just over nee high currently.

Edited by allisbred - 19 Jul 2021 at 6:41am
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:18pm
We need rain badly, only had 2 small fields that we got a second cutting. Bad year for us, other fields not doing much.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
3 cuttings, sometimes 4 is the norm for us if we get sufficient rain
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 9:13pm
I have a friend who puts up a lot of alfalfa square bales . He leases several small 5 , 10 , 15 acre odd shape fields. Sells to horse owners , stables in the area . He cuts it short and as often as he can . He just cut it a 3rd time and will cut it again this year .Established Alfalfa roots go deep around here . He likes dryer years as he can get it to dry , cure better. Also this is all he does , he has time to work around the weather as he has no other crops , livestock to worry about.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 1:37pm
I’m sure glad it’s growing so well, taking some rain today, will have another chance to make good stuff in a few weeks… lol. I took 10 acres down Monday, and another small field last night. Neighbor has 40 acres of the best looking junk alfalfa still in the field since Saturday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic