This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gradualy turning left

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gradualy turning left
    Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:07pm
Why does my dozer gradially turn to the left when I'm driving.
It has exactly 38 links per side.
With a solid rear end (no differential) just steering clutches and final drives this does not make sence how this is possible?
Is it fixable?

Picture is out of date, she's in much better shape now.

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:16pm
Think of it as tires on each side and one side has a 1" larger tire than other , slowly it will move to one side as the smaller one counteracts the larger.
 Mine pulls right and have pull left steering clutch every so often to go straight. 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 05 Feb 2012 at 10:18pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:56pm
So I must have one of the track rails that are more wore down more then the other.?

Nice looking 6G you got. 
The guy that owned mine before I got it, shouldn't have been aloud to own tools! 

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 06 Feb 2012 at 12:58pm
Chad(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:05pm
Very possible that your left steering clutch is out of adjustment and slipping. 
oljoe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oljoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:17pm
One track tighter than the other will cause this also.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 5:51pm
I sure hope it's not a steering clutch slipping. I just put them back in and adjusted them. I'll play around with the track tension and see what happens.

Thanks
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 8:04am
has your tracks worked fee yet sticking links can cause it to wonder and make sure you dont have a brake band to tight grabbing.
M Diesel View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M Diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 5:14pm
On that old beast there are several possibilities. The culprit is often worn track link pins/bushings or a sprung track frame. Loose pins allow each link to be a little different in length when on the ground. 
Does it always wander to the same side, forward or backwards?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 6:20pm
It always pulls to the left. That side does have the stuck links.
I pulled the front idle wheel off and found everything in rough shape. I'll squeeze the track frame back together, but any good ideas how to get the shaft out of the front idler so it can be staightened. I'm not sure this is the right front idle either?

My picture got fat somehow, sorry. 
Somebody hit something real hard to bend this shaft!

Edited by Jay Tyrrell - 09 Feb 2012 at 6:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic