This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gooseneck towing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gooseneck towing
    Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 6:26pm
I should add that I've been pulling gooseneck trailers since 1971 starting with a '71 GMC 2500 with a 402 big block. It's a wonder we survived some off those early combinations and some of the crazy loads that I used to haul.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 6:22pm
You can go on the GM website and see all the specs for the new HD trucks.
There are pages mostly on GVW, GCW, and trailering combinations and weights.
I printed it a few months ago to study up before I order my new truck.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
split51 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote split51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 5:19pm
 The GVWR of the truck will stay the same as will the GCWR but a gooseneck will allow you more towing weight because you are moving the weight foward on your truck which does not take as much weight from the front end.
   The below insert is taken from a 2003 GM site.

Both the 8.1-liter V-8 and the Duramax diesel can tow up to 12,000 lbs. with a maximum 22,000-lb. gross combined weight rating (GCWR). With a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch, trailering capability increases to 15,800 lbs
1929 20-35 sn17662
B1 w/snow blade
B10 w/sickle mower
B110 w/mower deck
B110 w/tiller
B112 w/grader blade
B210 w/plo
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 4:47pm
 None, no difference.  Your owners manual should have a spec for GCVW, it won't change with a differant hitch. Tires, brakes, springs, and transmission along with axle ratio are what determine a safe load for your particular truck. A gooseneck hitch won't increase that ,but it will pull nicer with less "tug" than a  conventional trailer, and you can get a better ride by virtue of loading your truck 4" ahead of the rear axle instead of 4' behind the axle and most gooseneck trailers have a long deck that helps finding the "sweet spot" for a heavy load  for best ride and handling.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:37pm

GM, at one time had a chart(s) comparing bumper vs gooseneck.   GVWR won't change, amount that can be safely towed will.

EDWD45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EDWD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 12:54pm
Question.  Does anybody know of a site that compares gooseneck towing capabilities with regular pull cababilities.  For instance, if I can pull 8,000 lbs with a my regular receiver hitch, what would be the difference if I switched to a gooseneck hitch?  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic