This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

gonna vent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gonna vent
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:08pm
My dad turns 80 this weekend. im supposed to be on my way to his birthday. I get the 
call from Florida (my bosses choice for vacation this month) about an emergency at work where a job he pulled us off of has a grand opening this weekend. We pull off the job that he put us on when he pulled us off the job that has the deadline and went over to try to finish. I get a call from the boss that there is water running out of the house on the other job that he pulled us off of. turns out that he scheduled plumbers while I was away and a fitting broke and sprayed water for two days. The home owner came in this afternoon and found their new house and garage wide open and not a sole in sight and the basement flooded. I had tile guys, plumbers and electricians all there and I gave each the temp code to get in. Plumber sent out a new crack head to the job and he was the last one there. 
I have only asked for one day off this year. That was a Friday in Oct and I didn't get that. I had it planned ever since a year before that when I asked for a Friday off in Oct and didn't get that either. I missed seeing family the Thanks Giving the year before that due to an emergency so we postponed until Christmas the same year. We had a last minute emergency on Christmas eve and I couldn't go. He doesn't miss a family day or holiday. He gets several lavish vacations a year. Other foreman at work get unpaid vacations.
I put off our honeymoon due to being too busy. Got my ass chewed for getting married when I did and then again when we started our remodle because he needs me to work weekends. 
Jenn and I have a trip/late honeymoon planed to Colorado in June. I intend to make that trip and will look at one of the other builders that keep asking me to come work for them and I'm seriously considering going back in business again.
I havent been to my dads house since 2008 and haven't seen him at all since 2010. I don't think I'm out of line.
According to my taxes I average 60 hrs a week.
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:14pm
Sounds like you need a new boss. You could get a job anywhere with your work ethic!
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:18pm
One has to decide when ENOUGH is enough - every job is to important for you to not handle right away so another can enjoy their time - and being boss - well to be a good one the customer comes first - then the employees - and yourself last . 
 If not then you are going to be soon the boss of yourself as everyone else will wise up and tell you to stuff it . 
  For you it's past that choice time - that plumber had it right walk out and don't close the door .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:27pm
Thad, I walked off my job two years ago July 4 and I have not looked back.  I am happy with my decision and now I have a great full time job working for my old manager that also got shafted where we worked.  It was in fast food and as a manager I know I worked more than 60 hours a week.  My mother just passed and my manager made sure I had a full week plus my days off to spend with her in her final hours.  There are people out there who care and will appreciate you.  Me thinks you are getting SCREWED  JMHO
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 8:49pm
WALK OUT!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:08pm
NO......... just learn to say NO... You only work as hard as you want to.........
Other foreman at work get unpaid vacations

why do you think that is ?  Your fault for not TELLING the boss what you need. If you WANT it, it will happen... JUST SAY NO.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:10pm

Hey Good Buddy,,, I been noticing for the longest bout how you always is workin your tail off to take care of the Boss,,,AND the business. There does come a time or an event that does take precedence over work,,,and Family is right up there,,,,!!
I don't like to say it but your Boss appears to take advantage of your work ethics. He KNOWS ole Thad will let whatever go to bail him out. Your Daddy is way up there in years and you wannna make sure if at all possible,,,you go visit him for this birthday seein as how ya'll been apart for so long.. Same way with your new Wife,,,,,,you'll never be able to sleep very comfortably with your job,,,,,but now that Wife,,,nuff said,,,,!!!
Good Luck.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:10pm
You schedule a  vacation, YOU TAKE IT.... Its the BOSS problem to get replacements.. Stop thinking they cant get along with out you..  What happens if you drop dead tomorrow ?  You think they go out of business ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm

My take would be tell the boss that Saturdays are now double time, Sundays are triple time, and you won't be available Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day weekend, July 4th, and Labor Day weekend. Don't bother calling, your phone will be turned off. You'll also be taking time in June for a honey moon. If he really wants you to stay on, he'll work with you. If he won't, call the other guys up that are interested in hiring you. Life is too short to spend every waking hour working for someone else.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:52pm
I quit a company I had worked for 23 years after new management showed up and made my life miserable. Went out on my own and never looked back. Best decision I ever made ,making more money than ever. Working just as much but I decide who and when I work for. Like Calvin said with that work ethic you can go work where you want. It is so hard to find good people that actually know what needs to be done.

Also the Plumber that sent the crackhead should be taking care of this.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:29pm
Thad, I don't have anything else to add what the other fellows have already said... But will emphasize to drop everything and go see dear old dad, at 80, he could be gone tomorrow or 18 years from now... but every moment you can spend with him between now and then will be cherished.
 Just tell the boss you gotta go and give him the reason, if he axes you, then you will know how much he appreciated you... and you can go and find somebody that will appreciate you.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:35am
Family comes first! Your boss will take advantage of you if you let him, when he has to hire 2 or 3 people to do what you have been doing he will appreciate you. Spend all the time you can with your Dad while you can.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 2:18am
Now Thad, if'n my memorty serves me right I think you got  an azz chewin from me last year about this and I think the year before that too and it looks like you got a bad case of selector hearing so I'm on my way down thar. An I'm gonna be thar abouts sunrise an If'n I see you walk out that door with yer cell fone and lunch pail tomorrow mornin I'm gonna let you have it.

You see I learned a few things when ole Ted took me out to that weed, I mean wood shed a few times so you know this ain't gomma be pretty.  Ted? Tell him.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:37am
Send your Boss a two worded text. I QUIT!
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 3:50am
Yeah. Go to work for the other guys! Damn!!!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:25am
They've ALL said it Thad, but let me recap........

BOSS, STICK IT!!!  I'm going to my Dad's 80th Birthday!  WITH or WITHOUT YOUR permission.  YOU decide....

There will come a time in your life where you will finally decide the I (yes you) are more important than anything any boss can want.

Number 1 on your list......FAMILY!!!  First is your wife, next are your parents, then your siblings and then finally you.  Everything else DOES NOT COUNT!!

Life is TOO short to work your butt off for someone else!!  It's HIS business.  As Coke said, the boss comes last.

DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING and get down to see your dad.  You've only got one and there are LOTS of GOOD jobs out there.  I'd give BOTH of my (ah hems) if I could have just a few minutes with my dad.  He died when I was 33.

Now I'm gonna take my new truck and join up with Les and we're BOTH coming to kick somebody's posterior!!

Life is shorter than we think...and it's not worth a damn if it's not a happy one.

And that's all I've got to say on the matter..........pfffft!!

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 4:34am
who's taking the beer?
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:15am
I would go to him and explain that you cannot continue to work under these conditions.  That family comes first and that you need to visit your father and also spend time with your family on holidays (at least one each year).  Then let him decide how important your job is to HIM.  If this doesn't work, then your next move depends on whether he owns the company or not.  If he owns the company, turn in your 2 week notice and move on.  At this point he  has 2 choices, reconsider his treatment of you, or hire someone else.

If he is NOT the owner of the company, then he has a boss that he answers to.  Go to his boss and explain things to him and give him the options that you spelled out to your boss.  Either they will reconsider how they treat you or yoU move on.

In either case, be prepared to back up what you say.  Idle threats will only make matters worse.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and remember  --  FAMILY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY JOB.  YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND A NEW JOB!

Edited by Grayray - 23 Mar 2018 at 5:15am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:26am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

who's taking the beer?
BOTH of us!!  It's a LONG trip... and I hope Les has some of that Aronia wine done so we can take some of that with too!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:33am
If'n you don't tell the boss to f*** off, ain't no one else going to do it for ya. Darrel
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:16am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

If'n you don't tell the boss to f*** off, ain't no one else going to do it for ya. Darrel
You haven't met Jennifer yet have you. LOL
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:21am
No, I have not met Jenifer. She would be who....?
Darrel
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:25am
Just so y'all know, I do realize how most of this is my own fault. I go through the same with my crew. I do feel like I treat my crew members well compared to what we get from the big boss. As far as being replaced. I have no specialty training. I'm easier to replace than a spin on oil filter. 
I wonder if ole Ted is any faster than the gift he sent me a while back?? Im hoping I aint to slow like Les and get took out behind the wood shed.  Maybe I'll have some corn squeezins and bbq ready when they gits here and he'll forgits why they made the trip. Oh I guess I better gits the old Ford gassed up and hooked up to the trailer just in case I gots to go retreve them. LOL
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:11am
No Thad......gasp.....hack...spit......we ain't even close....gasp.....fart................Ted I told ya............Whatever Shameless says,...........don't let him talk ya into takin ome of his Chebbies........cough....spit........I toldya we'd be pushin it's.................
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:12am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Hahaha...that is the 2 word text I was thinking of.

TELL the boss you'll be seeing dear old dad (since 2010?!)  on his birthday, and if he don't like it, tough toenails, and if he threatens to fire you on that conversation, say you can't fire me because I QUIT! 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:47am
Up here the adds now running on many TV commercials that pitch consumer goods from windows and doors, plumbing , heating , electrical contractors as well as other home improvement - WELL  THEY CHANGED 
 Just about every one of them are including a line or full add they are hiring experienced help for full time positions as well as new hires to train in high paying fields . 
 The construction or anything associated with it has a demand higher than supply of skilled workers .  Friend is trying to hire full time / part time truck drivers and not much luck in finding anyone qualified or that can pass a drug test. Same with my son - he has 2 trucks setting as finding drivers has been a problem as well as his main job as crane operator has him working 10 or more hours now a day .
 Skilled labor is now in demand and wage, compensation for healthcare as well as other things like holiday and vacation are there to negotiate . 
  How big is the demand for skilled labor - Neighbor is a refrigeration fitter (does large cooling / heating systems in commercial buildings) - he retired last summer - for 40 days and was begged to come back a couple days to check out a building system he had worked on - Few days turned into few weeks and now he works 4 days a week and has Monday or Friday off - or does both for a 4 day weekend - his choosing.

Take care of your business first - the job second . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 7:58am

Hey Thad,,,,this right there is why your Boss man takes advantage of you,,,,, But seriously,,,,Go see your Daddy and tell him "Hello" from me,,,,

"" I do feel like I treat my crew members well compared to what we get from the big boss. As far as being replaced. I have no specialty training. I'm easier to replace than a spin on oil filter,,""
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
Just because you don't have any "specialty" training doesn't mean you can be easily replaced. Very few these days have your work ethic or the ability to take care of a crew and be their leader instead of their supervisor. Sure, you can be replaced but he may have to hire two people just to take your place. The most important thing you can do is spend some time in prayer and ask the Good Lord for His guidance in your job situation. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Just because you don't have any "specialty" training doesn't mean you can be easily replaced. Very few these days have your work ethic or the ability to take care of a crew and be their leader instead of their supervisor. Sure, you can be replaced but he may have to hire two people just to
take your place. The most important thing you can do is spend some time in prayer and ask the Good Lord for His guidance in your job situation. 

Hubert I fed some praying on this last night. I woke feeling good about life. I won’t be making the trip to Colorado. I will make the trip in June.
There is more work around here than there has been in years. We’ll be ok.
Just to clarify I believe anyone that thinks they can’t be replaced is fooling only them selves. I meant nothing negative
I appreciate all the replies.👍👍👍
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:54am
Sure you can be replaced!!!!By 2 or 3!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic