This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L2 head feeding troublle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:13pm
Sorry, I got to this party late. We run a gray plastic conduit pipe with some 2"blue water hose behind it. The hose folds flat and acts like belting. Loose beans stay in the header. I read it up a ways to try running on an angle. The steeper, the better. We are running a 25 degree angle. We had a 500 a few years back with a Johnson Bean Saver/ rock guard. It worked best in tall beans. Running the angle treats the beans as singles. They don't seem to bunch up. They act like they are pulling each other in. It is like a sweeping action. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:20pm
No one has mentioned squaring off the edge of flighting with angle grinder.Have heard that can make a big difference in feeding.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:34pm
I did see where a guy drove 1/2” lock washers onto the flighting to act as grabbers about every 1/3 revolution
groundhog55 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groundhog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:49pm
It doesn't seem right, but if you move the auger as far forward as you can and still be able to reach it with the stripper bars it will make a lot of difference. Also in the off season I cut 3 inches out of the linkages underneath and then it is like a 500 series head. After I did that, Our local dealer copied me and did other headers. It will  be like a completely different machine.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:10pm
The problem isn't really feeding. It's getting the crop into the auger so it feeds it evenly to the feeder house.  Short beans tend to get cut and fall onto the dead space between the sickle and the auger. They build up high enough that the reel finally kicks them all it at once and BAM !!,  the throat of the combine is plugged from uneven delivery of the crop.  As I pointed out earlier moving the auger forward as far as possible (adding links to the drive chain) and up 3/4" inch or more off of the floor will improve this crop delivery problem in soybeans. If you don't take the time to do it, you'll never know how good it works.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:07am
I just wanted to post an update.  I went down to try out all the changes Saturday afternoon and ended up cutting 30 acres.  Here's what I did.  I raised the feeder beater up as high as it would go.  the head cross conveyer was 1/4" from being all the way forward so I didn't mess with it, but I did take 9/16 lock washers and drove them on every flighting at 1/3 revolutions.  I bolted the 3" suction pipe to the sickle guard bolts and raised the reel up basically all the way and the teeth just rubbed the pipe with it sitting all the way down on the ground.  I also had the "mud Flaps" from shoup on the reel. 
it seemed to feed much more smoothly than ever before.  I did plug the feeder beater twice but the first time was on the first round by the creek where I was picking up some short green grass on the far end of the table.  It did build up and came in as a wad.  the other time was my fault, I went from a clay bank with 10' beans down into good bottom ground with 2' beans and didn't slow down enough.  just ran too much material in.  But the conditions were similar to last week when I couldn't run at all.  the beans were dry but the stems were still kind of tough so all in all I'm pretty happy.  I may try moving the real forward and down to try to pickup downed beans better and see how that works.  thanks for all the help.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:52pm
The feeder beater should have already been clear "up" for corn, or don't you raise corn ???  Too bad you didn't raise up the header auger to 3/4" or more while you were at it.
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:10pm
Even if the auger seems to be all the way forward I would still move it a bit. Finally got to try it myself this weekend on a 500 25' head on our R62 and it made it a completely different head. Beans hit the auger and they start moving instead of sitting there thinking about it for awhile and slug. Dr. Allis thank you for the suggestion! Made combining beans enjoyable again.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
Dr we have shelled a lot of corn with this combine and others. We have never had any trouble with the feeder beater plugging before so I don't guess we paid much attention to it. I did check the auger and it is about 3/4" off the bottom. Thanks for your help
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Raising the feeder beater clear to the top was a requirement and I've found it works better in soybeans to leave it there. Oats and wheat might be better down instead of up.
joepro91 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepro91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm
I am so glad that I found this post.

I am having the exact same issues and have a post over on YT about it. 

I have an new to me M2 with a 315 head and have been having the same issues and frustrations to where I've considered selling the head and or whole setup.

I have the same issue where especially in short beans the beans accumulate on the floor right behind the cutter bar and the reel can't seem to feed them in. 

I've chopped off and replaced many of the reel teeth trying to push the beans into the auger. 

I know where a series 2 head is with a sch knife on it.  I may try to trade for it.

You should see my hands from digging out the feeder beater.  When the beans were taller they flew through and it was great but shorter beans just piled up behind the bar before they slugged the feeder.   I might as well not have a reel on the head.  The faster my ground speed wast eh better it fed because the beans would push themselves through.
joepro91 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepro91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by groundhog55 groundhog55 wrote:

It doesn't seem right, but if you move the auger as far forward as you can and still be able to reach it with the stripper bars it will make a lot of difference. Also in the off season I cut 3 inches out of the linkages underneath and then it is like a 500 series head. After I did that, Our local dealer copied me and did other headers. It will  be like a completely different machine.

I'm really interested hearing about this.

Are you saying you cut the flex linkage and moved the cutter bar closer to the head?

I can see this making a world of a difference!!

ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm
Series 2 head would tend to feed better in shorter beans but you loose the advantage of the flex in the 300 head plus they are getting some age on them. I would do the hose mod behind the cutter bar and adjust the auger like Dr. Allis says and see what you get. It made a world of difference on our 525.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 3:22pm
The 3” hose made a world of difference for me. I cut 30 acres Last Thursday afternoon and only plugged the beater twice. Both times were near dark by the creek that had been shaded for a couple hours. The moisture was definitely coming up but that’s all I had left to get finished up. I definitely would not have been running before the 3” pipe.
joepro91 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joepro91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm
How did you adjust your reel to accommodate for the 3" pipe?

I'm thinking of mounting 3" field tile on it.

Now I just have to replace a pile of reel teeth!!

Another question...
My cutter bar is higher in the center then the ends. 
Is there an adjustment or is something likely damaged
Like its a slight radius higher in the center of the cutter bar.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
I just raised my reel up so it cleared the hose when the header was all the way down. However in really short beans it seemed like it had a hard time climbing over the hose. I was going to try moving the reel forward so that it just cleared the cutter bar and hose but I just kept rolling on to get done. I may play with it next year.
thumbfarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thumbfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:43am
Dr Allis:
U were exactly right! I raised the beater and moved it forward. I have a 320 header. Big difference thx!   Sorry i know this is really old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic