This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner L2 head feeding troublle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner L2 head feeding troublle
    Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:49pm
I know it has been discussed a lot but I have had an 82 L2 with 318 head and I am having feeding trouble.

The combine is a beast and I have it tuned well but ever since we have had it I have had trouble feeding beans. It wants to slug and plug the feeder beater. I have all eight springs in the clutch and adjusted between 1/4 and 5/16" as the book says

It does well in good dry beans but two days ago we had a good dry day and no dew over night. Rain was in the forecast the next night so I took a vacation day to cut beans. It was overcast all day and The beans were 11% but the stems and pods had some moisture in them and would build up on the cutterbar and slug the feeder beater. It wasn't bad on the outside rounds but in the taller beans in the middle they would be so heavy I couldn't clean it out without dropping the header

Problem is the neighbor has been helping with his 1620 and 15' head because he would rather run his than our F2. He was able to run while I sat plugged up. I rode with him a couple round while he was cutting and the beans just fell in nice and even. I know if my head would feed like his I would have been walking right along beside him.

I have been looking at R52's but if the heads don't feed any better than I think I'm going to a 1680. I think the gleaner is a superior combine but if the heads won't feed it doesn't matter. I am so discouraged. It was embarrising having a bigger combine and sitting watching with the landlord while the help kept running.

I'm going to get some 3" suction pipe this week and bolt it behind the sickle. I have belt paddles bolted to the reel does anyone have any other suggestions. I'm so disgusted that I'm thinking of going red.

Edited by wekracer - 04 Oct 2017 at 10:03pm
Sponsored Links

wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:01pm
To add to it. We have been running side by side for 5 days and he has never once stopped with plugging and I bet I've stopped 20 times to unplug my feeder beater. It's so bad my wife won't let me touch her during harvest cause my hands are So rough from pulling beans out of the feeder beater.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:15pm
First thing, cylinder bars. If cylinder bars are worn, beater will over feed cylinder. Next cylinder belt, if it is worn out, it slows cylinder while beater over feeds cylinder.
Fighting on header auger. Use a square on fighting. It should lean toward center of head. Is auger as low as it will go without hitting bottom of pan? Is it as far back as possible with out hitting back stripper? Is feederbeater up as far as possible?
If it is a full range cylinder speed, take torque sincere apart and clean up then grease it good. Grease fitting on outer dial. Of shelve.    
Most likely the beater is not the problem.    MACK
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:35pm
mite haft to slow down the head a little bit' sure helped it tuff stem beans for me.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 11:10pm
the suction hose helps - it is an old Deere trick used in Ar. tuff conditions. Most important feeding issue on 300 heads is to get the reel back as close to the auger as possible. We used to run them with the tines almost ticking the auger flighting.
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 1:24am
are you combining with the rows? try cutting the bean rows at an angle, along with the setting mentioned above.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 3:57am
Not your beaters problem. Like others have already said, your reel needs to assist beans into cross auger. If your reel is already set back to cross auger, then from the cab adjust it's proper height & speed?
This may seem against your better judgement, but try lowering your reel all the way in its down position(but not running in the dirt), then match its speed to what speed your sickle can cleanly cut.
Reel should cleanly sweep across cutter bar also.
Too high of a reel setting will tip plants into head, but will not force them into cross auger.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:02am
Use coconut oil to soften up your rough hands to keep the wife happy.
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:12am
And gloves. Use with the combine not the wife.
GregStremel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregStremel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:26am
Just to throw an idea out there, check the timing of the feeder beater fingers.

I have an M. The feeder beater was adjusted according to the book. It plugged up something terrible. Finally I asked on this forum. Apparently, something was bent. The book said adjust the timing on the left side. I did according to what the book said. But the fingers did not retract when they were supposed to. Maybe someone can tell you at what point the fingers are supposed to be fully retracted. I do not remember.

It made a tremendous difference. When it was not adjusted properly we would creep along and it would still plug. After the adjustment, we could go at a decent speed.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth checking.
GregStremel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregStremel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:35am
Are the beans piling up at the cutter bar? If they pile up there and then come back as a slug, then you will have problems. As others have said, the suction hose bolted behind the cutterr bar help. We also added a Crary Wind System. It blows the soybeans back into the auger. After the problems I had earlier, it is really nice to have a smooth flow of soybeans in to the header.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:07am
Thanks for all the responses so far. The cylinder bares we're new wide spaced and hardened a couple years ago and I put a new belt on last year. In green stem beans it would slow down and stop. That's no fun pulling all that crap out the trap door. I'm certain that's not a problem now. I adjusted the beater up some last year but I will move it all the way this weekend. I will check the cross auger too. But most of the problem Is at the cutter bar. I have the reel as low as it will go without cutting off teeth and it is pretty far back. The way that header is made there seems to be a spot behind the sickle and in front of the auger that the reel can't reach. With the old hart carter on the F2 the sickle is much closer to the auger. The other issue that I have is if I move the reel up and back it won't pick up down beans like the old head. We used to have it set so that the metal tines would almost scrape the ground in front of the sickle and then feed them right into the cross auger. The neighbors 1620 was set the same way. We were on 15" rows running on a diagonal and I could see his reel picking up the beans his divider laid down the round before. Mine won't do that because the reel is too far back. Thanks for the help and forgive me if I'm ranting.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 6:30am
I also have a 318 head on a L3, it does not feed good either. Dad has a older M2 that feeds much better. If I could figure how to make the header control work I would put a green head on it
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:03am
That is what I forgot to say in my first post. Put a JD head on it.
Header control is no problem to hook up. You will love it.    MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:15am
Feeder beater has to be UP ALL THE WAY.  Reel has to be back as far as possible and fingers slightly tipped rearward. 3 inch hose will help. Short beans are your enemy. We used to bolt a mud flap to one reel bat over each row to give the beans a push.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:56am
on our early R series headers we bought some sheets that bolt on right behind the sickle and step up  and then a flat run into the auger.  This lets the reel keep ahold of the beans until they are nearly in the auger instead of leaving a gap like the oe flex sheets.  made a big difference in beans for us.  we farm all dryland so short beans are pretty common out here in KS.

forgot to mention those bolt on feather sheets were from AGCO and recommended by our dealer

Edited by CAL(KS) - 05 Oct 2017 at 10:15am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:41am
Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to get some 3" hose, and give that a try.  if it works I'm due for feather sheets and I will look into getting raised sheets.  I guess if nobody makes them anymore I will look into having some bent.  I am also running the reel paddles that shoupe sells.  they work pretty good but weren't helping much that day. 

As for the future, we have been looking at R52/62's.  do they have the same issues?  I know they have a feeder house instead of a beater but surely slugs would give them fits too.  I understand the 500 series heads have the cutter bar moved back a couple inches.  do they feed any better.  I really like the simplicity of the gleaner compared to a Case but if I'm going to be fighting plugging like I do now then I think I might be leaning red. 

thanks and I will post updates after I make all the adjustments.  we have rain in the forcast till Monday so it will be late next week at the soonest.

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
I've got a R62 with a 520 head. I seem to have the same issues sometimes with the beans sitting right behind the sickle and before the auger. I've got the reel all the way down and back where it is almost touching the auger. It seems that it doesn't matter, tall or short and they will pile up there. Sometimes having the head really low on the header control makes them feed better and other times not. When I run the header that low though it seems like it likes to drag up more also.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:02am
I still have my 2 1440's for sale. very seldom any clump problems
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:27am
This advice is contrary to what most believe, but it works.  Raise the header auger to 3/4" or a little more off of the floor after moving it FORWARD as far as the adjustment allows. This will mean adding a couple half-links to the drive chain. This only works for soybeans and will have to be changed back for cereal crops. John Keller from AGCO told me to try this 25 yrs ago and is helped tremendously.  500 series headers are much better than 300's for this feeding issue.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:31am
You'll also have to move the reel forward to clear the auger after this change.
critter View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

That is what I forgot to say in my first post. Put a JD head on it.
Header control is no problem to hook up. You will love it.    MACK

What John Deere head works best for a L3?
We currently have a 320 that doesn't feed very well and we are sick of it.

Edited by critter - 05 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:53pm
Why don't you spend an hour and move the auger clear forward and up 3/4" inch or more??  You might be surprised what that will do in soybeans.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 8:13pm
The beans a few days ago were not wanting to feed worth a darn and that was with a 630f deere head that my boss runs. The macdon draper he has wasnt working good at times either so i wouldnt feel bad about feeding issues. Ive grown up running a 318 head and at times its hard getting it to feed right especially in short beans. It normally doesnt have a problem in taller beans.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
The 900 series are a good head. 920-922 and ect. They are a simple head underneath. Don't have all the ball joints to ware out and brake. Just a much better head than Gleaner, and I have rebuilt a lot of Gleaner heads. MACK
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:45pm
Is the cylinder slowing down much? I am still wondering if you have issues on the torque sensing hub on the mainshaft.

Are you greasing both fittings?

As far as trading machines, I dont see what a header issue has to do with the combine.

Switch heads, keep the combine. Only after trying all other options given above to make the current header work.

Believe me, I get to run 1400-2100 series IHs part time for a guy, and I am so happy to come home to the Gleaners. that unloader is a joke, the auger bed system is a joke, cleaning system is a joke, tyhe hydraulics and drivetrain are also quite pathetic.

The a/c works good and they just plod along, and I get paid by the hour, so I dont complain (much) :)
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
grinder220 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinder220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:12pm
So what does 3 inch suction hose do for feeding? I've never heard of doing that.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by grinder220 grinder220 wrote:

So what does 3 inch suction hose do for feeding? I've never heard of doing that.

You put it on the cutterbar in back of the sickle and it "trips" the stems of the beans and tries to lay it down on the pan and get it started under the auger.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:57am
OK, I picked up a piece of 3" suction hose and have a dozen 1 bolt clamps.  I plan on putting one every 18"-2' and bolting it to guard bolts.  my question is how to set the reel afterward.  do I just raise it up or movie it forward and down.  if it's the latter I think It would pick up laid over beans better but I can see where that might hurt the feeding as well.  thanks in advance. 

I also installed reel flaps from Shoup.  Basically mud flaps that hang down 4" below the reel teeth.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
I would not move reel unless it hit your new tube.
I use 4" drain tile. A few short pieces of angle iron bolted to guard bolts and wired to gather.     MACK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic